FS: Winston Nexus 9' 5wt and Hardy Marquis #5 reel

R L Winston Nexus rod 9' #5. New last summer. Excellent condition. Made in Twin Bridges, MT. Rosewood reel seat. Sleeve and hard case. $350
    Hardy Marquis #5 reel with Rio Gold WF5F line. Classic reel with click drag. Rio line new last summer. $150
    I'll take offers, but need $ for a trip coming up quick. Shipping also negotiable.
    Please PM an email for pics.

I'll buy it all. Dibs.

If you dont take the backing I might be interested, if its orange.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Hi Mike. Thanks for the PM. If you don't mind, I'd like to keep correspondence out in the open, for transparency. I don't think the Freedom of Information Act applies here, it's just good business.

I have a couple questions before we move forward.

1. Do you have papers for the rod? I'd like to see proof of authenticity, because you stated it was made in Twin Bridges, MT. There have been some knock-offs coming from Two Bridges, CO. I just want to be sure.

2. Any chance we could swap that line out for a RIO Silver, if you have one laying about? I'm also concerned about the condition of the line. "New last summer" is vague without knowing how much you fish. Most of my trout lines were new last summer but they are garbage now. But I'm a fly fishing guide for ProStaff Anglers and I fish A LOT!

3. Is the reel left-hand or right-hand click?

Thanks for keeping this on the up-and-up, Mike. Can't wait to try that rod. Feel free to post pics here if you want. FYI, including a Bic lighter for scale is customary, but not required.

Tight lines.

Hi Underoos.
    No problem keeping correspondence here. I do seem to have problems posting my pics on the forum, totally operator error on my part.
    I do have the card that came with the rod as well as the sales receipt from Sweetwater Fly Shop here in Livingston. I did, however, send the warranty card in (in my name), but would do what I could to help if an issue came up. Hassle I know, but my bad. Didn't think about potential resale.
    I don't have any extra lines. And yeah, I wasn't very specific. I only fished the rod/ line maybe 20 days, and really only for a couple hours on any of those days. I'm not a pro, just a schmuck that spends a lot of time on rivers and occasionally rigs up and tosses flies.
    The reel is left hand retrieve. I bought it used from a guide friend and bought the line new. The line was loaded by the shop I purchased it from.
    I like to think I take good care of my stuff, but the line could probably use a cleaning to be at its best.
    I'll try again to upload pics later today.
    Thanks.

What color is the backing? I'll take 50 yards or so if Telee doesn't want it all.

Easy, Snapped. I believe I called dibs.

This brings up a good point, though. Mike, backing hasn't been discussed. Is it included? How much is on there? Is it distance or accuracy backing? If there is enough, I can sub some out to Snapped and Telee. I'm not particular on color, but it seems they are.

This all sounds great, but I have another question. Have you checked the arbor on that reel lately? The Marquis (especially the #5) is known for developing cracks in the arbor. Can you check it for me? I know it's kind of a pain because you'll have to strip off all the backing, but I have to know. Hey, at least it'll give you a chance to see if the backing has lost it's stretch (I hope not). A picture of the arbor would be great. It's easy, just attach it to your reply.

Thanks, Mike!

--Toby.

You don't care about the color of backing? I may have to call bullshit on your standing as a pro guide...
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Hey all. I'm completely slammed with work and don't know when I'll have the time to unwind the reel for a pic of the arbor. And, no, I've never checked it. Like I said, I bought the reel used from a friend (who was helping a long time client reduce his gear horde) with an old line on it. I had the line replaced at a shop and new backing was put on when they loaded it. That's what I know. I've never been fortunate enough to have a fish take it to the backing, so...
    Still having trouble with the pics. Really sorry. I will keep trying.
    Want just the rod?

Is the rod left or right handed?

photo upload is a pita anymore. Can also upload to some photo hosting site and post the link if dealing with this system's not working out...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Thanks for the help Tye, but I'm not sure what this has to do with sandwiches.

Snapped, please stop joking around. I'm trying to buy this pole, it's getting complicated, and you're not helping.

Michael, I appreciate your candor and keeping it out in the open. I have to be honest. This is starting to seem a little "fishy" to me. (See what I did there?) I do understand that you are busy with work and posting photos is tough for some kids, but things just aren't adding up. Do you have this rod and reel in your possession? It seems like you don't. Are you scamming us? Who is the sales agent you purchased the rod from? Maybe I could give them a call to confirm. I see you have a low post count. Are there any members of this chat room that can vouch for your integrity? I'd love to give you the benefit of the doubt, but you have not accommodated some of my reasonable requests, such as pictures of the rod and the reel arbor, preferably with a Bic lighter for scale. Color of the lighter does matter, contrary to what Telee and Snapped may have you believe.

I'm still calling dibs, I just need some more clarification on these items. Mike, please let me know what else I can do to facilitate this transaction.

Salt life.

--Toby

Now this a productive back and forth. Way it should be.

Um well...
    Yes, I'm a low post count nobody. I've used the forum to buy and sell some ski gear over the past couple of years. I believe those transactions went well. Other than that, I read other's trip reports and check out Tech Talk. I've never posted to the fishing forum before. So I guess there's no-one to vouch for me here.
    And I completely get being extra careful doing business over the internet.
    I live in Livingston, MT and purchased the rod from Sweetwater Fly Shop. I could go there with the rod and my sales receipt if you would like to use them for confirmation. Their # is 406 222 9393. Let me know if you'd like to do this and I will get there when you would be calling, just some advance notice please, I don't work there and need to take time from work in order to do so.
    I apologize for my pic loading incompetence, but I'll own it. I have exchanged pics with others thru email (because my limited computer skills cover that). Not trying to be secretive. I'll put mine out here:
    mikecimonetti at gmail dot com.
    And I like being referred to as a kid. Don't get that much now that I'm in my 50's.
    Because I'm not really sure of everything you're looking for regarding the reel/line/backer I'll offer this: If you buy the rod (only when satisfied I'm not a scammer) I'll ship the reel as is with it and let you examine it in hand and then make your decision. Good business? Probably not, but I want you to know I'm not trying to rip anyone off.
    I am sorry for raising suspicions, certainly wasn't my intent.
    Mike

Sounds great. I'll buy it all.

If you're serious, email is the contact from here. Otherwise, it's all headed to a local gear swap this weekend.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Underoos View Post
    Hi Mike. Thanks for the PM. If you don't mind, I'd like to keep correspondence out in the open, for transparency. I don't think the Freedom of Information Act applies here, it's just good business.

I have a couple questions before we move forward.

1. Do you have papers for the rod? I'd like to see proof of authenticity, because you stated it was made in Twin Bridges, MT. There have been some knock-offs coming from Two Bridges, CO. I just want to be sure.

2. Any chance we could swap that line out for a RIO Silver, if you have one laying about? I'm also concerned about the condition of the line. "New last summer" is vague without knowing how much you fish. Most of my trout lines were new last summer but they are garbage now. But I'm a fly fishing guide for ProStaff Anglers and I fish A LOT!

3. Is the reel left-hand or right-hand click?

Thanks for keeping this on the up-and-up, Mike. Can't wait to try that rod. Feel free to post pics here if you want. FYI, including a Bic lighter for scale is customary, but not required.

Tight lines.
    artistic compensation counts

i aints gots no tweed to match the hardies
    can you get me proform on cheeky reels?
    i used to be on the thinamabobber prostaff but i talked shit on nymphing on the webs and got fired
    john bob if that rod came from a 420 friendly household and was never used to nymph beads or more than 2 flies
    i'll take it
    if the artistcal repesentation is worthy
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

So, no contact for 2 days. Guess you're out. Going to try local swap.

Wait, I'm in! What's your email? Can I pay in installments?

Will you take bitcoin?

Sold.

Enjoy UNderoos!

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Enjoy UNderoos!
    I think I've been sniped. I CLEARLY called dibs at the beginning, then my last post was asking about payment info.

Mikebob, I don't know what chat rooms you usually frequent, but this behavior will not fly at the TGRs. We are a strong and honest community and we honor our word. You have been reported to the moderation team, downvoted, and given 3 demerits. The demerits are revokable after a review by a panel of which I will be the chief. Downvotes are non-revocable and my report will stay in your permanent file. Let this be a warning to you. You have made your bed, and now you must lie in it.

This could have been avoided, Michael. I suggest you learn how to post pics.