New Zealand gear.

I am helping my nephew put together a set up for a season in NZ- not sure exactly where.
    It is likely to be a one season gig.
    It is likely he will be instructing.
    He is probably about 6'1", 175ish. Strong, athletic. A decent skier I expect to get good fast if he hangs with the right crowd.
    He is looking for 1 set up- touring and work. No idea what kind of touring it will be, as it will depend on who he ends up meeting up with.
    He is not experienced BC, but will start his season with a Euro alps hut to hut with me in April.
    I am thinking something like a Cham HM 97 with tours/barons/freerides/adrenalines.

Am i barking up the right tree here?

I fully get the drawbacks of a 1 size fits all solution, but given his travel plans, it might be a reasonable choice for him.

Or Praxis Freeride with Beast 14/Kingpin.

Quote Originally Posted by Island Bay View Post
    Or Praxis Freeride with Beast 14/Kingpin.
    Not gonna be in his budget. And, despite the way the ski, I am thinking tech of any kind not great for work.

For anyone familiar with NZ-
    Looks like glacier gear should be in his kit, no?

Quote Originally Posted by hhtele View Post
    Not gonna be in his budget. And, despite the way the ski, I am thinking tech of any kind not great for work.

For anyone familiar with NZ-
    Looks like glacier gear should be in his kit, no?
    I find something around 90-100mm under foot is a good size for a do it all ski here in nz, probably with marker barons or something if he's going to be instructing also. Have seen too many tracker binding failures too recommend them.

Don't think he will need glacier gear if he hasn't had much bc experience to start with, majority of people wouldnt be touring on the glaciers here. Also if they are they mostly fly in which he may not be able to afford on a instructors wage.

Thanks-
    That's the kind of Beta I was l looking for.
    HH