Trigger Finger (Thumb)

Any of you guys ever have to deal with Trigger finger or thumb? I currently have trigger thumb I believe and it came out of no where....no pain what so ever but I can't move the tip of my thumb out (extension). I have full grip strength but the lack of full extension is throwing me off a bit. This started on Monday, its Friday now...again no pain what so ever. I can move my thumb with my other hand, its smooth as it can be.

I'd like to avoid a cortisone shot or possible surgery.....any thoughts or experiences?

thanks

Trigger Finger (Thumb)

I've had it in both middle fingers for the last several years. Mostly in the morning and it dissipates by noon. No real pain associated. It, carpel tunnel, and associated arthritis run in my mother's side of the family. She had surgery in her arms/shoulders, and was on heavy dose of prednisone and painkillers to manage the issue that ultimate killed her liver and kidneys last September. She was very active/hard working farm girl all her life, but the conditions coupled with forced decreased activity really exacerbated her pain the last 3 or 4 years of her life. Something I'll have to monitor as I get older, and definitely not delay on the surgery if my symptoms match hers later in life (she was stoic and waited too long for some treatment, again exacerbating the issue by the forced inactivity).
    Last edited by BCMountainHound; 03-04-2016 at 12:51 PM.

Thanks BC and I'm sorry you mother had to go through that.

Its weird b/c mine has "fixed" itself yet....I may have to see a doc after all.

I've got it in my little finger right hand. No pain just locks up sometimes. Lame.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Trigger Finger (Thumb)

Quote Originally Posted by jmars View Post
    Thanks BC and I'm sorry you mother had to go through that.

Its weird b/c mine has "fixed" itself yet....I may have to see a doc after all.
    Ya, treatment for chronic issues can be problematic. My mother had severe side effects from the prednisone, and my limited exposure to steroids suggests that I should not consider such treatment either. My work has become more desk oriented over the past few years, which has led to me having issues that originally thought were solely related to the desk, but now I should consider in a different light. Currently for back and neck issues, I have a chiro/PT sport medical professional I see on an infrequent/yearly basis, and so far joint alignment coupled with massage and an exercise/stretching regime mitigate most of the issues. Lately, though I wake to my right arm being numb from the shoulder down that could indicate further carpal tunnel issues. So it may be time to involve a GP and start down the road getting some more extensive testing done to confirm. I've never had a dedicated GP as I have never had the need (or been in one town long enough to form that relationship..).

Nothing like age coupled with the prospect of accelerated decrepitude to humble one's sense of juvenile invincibility.