Page 4 of 52 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    What's the general consensus on taking a bike to Landry's? I've typically gone to Belmont Wheelworks for bike related repairs and items, but with a little one, going to Belmont isn't as convenient as going down to Comm Ave. Guy I work with who is a roadie swears they are good, but what say the maggot collective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

Quote Originally Posted by biggins View Post
    Bring your phone and load up the Willowdale State Forest map. Little of the singletrack is marked but it is easy to find trail openings off the fire roads. With that map on your phone and numbered, marked intersections throughout the park its easy to find your way around. To start, I recommend parking on the N side of the park (Linebrook rd. parking lot), going down the obvious double track entrance, then go left at the T and roll about 1/4 mile down that fire road past a long farm field. When the road starts to turn downhill to the right, keep an eye on the right side for a singletrack trail opening- start there. From there, you will ride 5-10 minute bursts of trail that will dump you back on other fire roads. Each time that happens look just left or right across the trail and you should find continuing singletrack. You may need to go a couple hundred yards in either direction to find another opening, but you will find one. Rinse and repeat until you're spent and then use the state park map and numbered intersections to find your way back to your car. Depending on how long you feel like being out, you could easily be out for 3+ hours and not ride the same single track twice. That said, all trails ride well in both directions.

This is roughly the same overview someone gave me on here 5-6 years ago and it served me perfectly. Psyched to pass it along. Enjoy! Take some pics- I miss Willowdale.
    This is gold! Thanks in advance because I am sure to get lost riding at a new spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rontele View Post
    What's the general consensus on taking a bike to Landry's? I've typically gone to Belmont Wheelworks for bike related repairs and items, but with a little one, going to Belmont isn't as convenient as going down to Comm Ave. Guy I work with who is a roadie swears they are good, but what say the maggot collective.
    I had a bad experience at the Landry's in Braintree when they grossly over charged me for a repair that should've have been a warranty replacement. I don't go there anymore but I have a couple riding buddies who spend tons of $ at the Landry's in Natick and Boston. I've heard mostly good things about those locations.

Quote Originally Posted by VTsession View Post
    This is gold! Thanks in advance because I am sure to get lost riding at a new spot.
    Its ok to get lost there because I believe there is a fence line in which the singletrack runs against, so you'll just continue to follow it in a loop until you eventually hit the Ipswich Road/River

Anyone ride Georgetown? It's close to Willowdale but is supposed to be a bit more technical?

Gman is online now Mack Master William Large
    You'll be fine, what do you need fixed/repaired?

I know pretty much all the shops in the area from when I use to rep for Giant so you can pm me any questions. Willowdale is fairly fast and flowy as far as ne riding goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Gman View Post
    You'll be fine, what do you need fixed/repaired?

I know pretty much all the shops in the area from when I use to rep for Giant so you can pm me any questions. Willowdale is fairly fast and flowy as far as ne riding goes.
    Just a bike to build up that is being shipped here.

We are planning on taking a five day trip with the little one this May. I've never really been out to the Berkshires so thinking North Adams/Williamstown area. How's the riding out there? Any suggestions?

We are planning on taking a five day trip with the little one this May. I've never really been out to the Berkshires so thinking North Adams/Williamstown area. How's the riding out there? Any suggestions?
    http://thundermountainbikepark.com
    http://www.charlemont-ma.us/charlemont-trails

For the whole family: http://www.clarkart.edu
    http://massmoca.org

Check on Williams College grad dates and don't go then.

^^ And you have lift served at Jiminy Peak. From what I understand the CTS is pretty raw and tough riding, if that's your thing it's got a great reputation. There's also some good stuff on Petersburg Pass at the old ski area and on the north side of the hwy too up towards ice hole. I'll be up in that area a few times between now and then so I'll get some better intel for ya before you go.

biggins beat me to it. But yeah, what he said.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Gman is online now Mack Master William Large
    Where are you staying? I'd recommend the porches in north Adams. For riding check with the guys at Berkshire Bike and Board, they have a store in Pittsfield and one in great Barrington. Dave runs the Pittsfield store and and Steffen the GB store. Definitely worth checking out Thunder mtn for lift access. Personally, I'd skip jiminy, it's not well maintained and it's pretty rough and not in a fun way. While there are trails to ride I'm not sure it's a place where five days could be spent without some repetition. I'd recommend kingdom trails or some other northern VT riding.

Quote Originally Posted by Gman View Post
    Where are you staying? I'd recommend the porches in north Adams. For riding check with the guys at Berkshire Bike and Board, they have a store in Pittsfield and one in great Barrington. Dave runs the Pittsfield store and and Steffen the GB store. Definitely worth checking out Thunder mtn for lift access. Personally, I'd skip jiminy, it's not well maintained and it's pretty rough and not in a fun way. While there are trails to ride I'm not sure it's a place where five days could be spent without some repetition. I'd recommend kingdom trails or some other northern VT riding.
    Likely the Porches. Won't be riding all five days since the Mrs. and the baby will be us. Will likely bring a road bike as well.

Road? Want a workout? From N Adams you can head west on Rt 2, south on Rt 22 (NY) and then east on Rt43 back into MA. The ride over Petersburg on Rt 2 is kickass and 43 isn't bad either and it is much flatter (but not flat.)

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Road? Want a workout? From N Adams you can head west on Rt 2, south on Rt 22 (NY) and then east on Rt43 back into MA. The ride over Petersburg on Rt 2 is kickass and 43 isn't bad either and it is much flatter (but not flat.)
    Riding the PMC this summer, so need to at least put some modicum of road miles between now and then. Not my first choice in riding, but will also be able to haul the kid in a burley in the next couple of months

There's some good trail riding at Pittstown state forest and Grafton lakes state park in NY... About 40 min from North Adams. Grafton is probably the better spot for mom and baby to hang out, but the riding is good in either place.

Today was gravelicious. New bike koolaid is so delicious. I'd like to cheers Fitwerx- good service is such a treat these days. Also Doon at GMB- always a pleasure to see that fellow and his awesome shop/spot. Happy spring everyone

Likely the Porches. Won't be riding all five days since the Mrs. and the baby will be us. Will likely bring a road bike as well.
    Porches is very nice. We've stayed a few places, and finally tried there. We're sticking with them from now on.

First ride of the season now under my belt. Backyard trails are riding really well and right next door to skiing. Win
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

why anyone would choose to stay in North Adams is beyond me
    toothless locals and douchy art school kids, yeah no thanks, i'm good
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    why anyone would choose to stay in North Adams is beyond me
    toothless locals and douchy art school kids, yeah no thanks, i'm good
    Because there is some pretty cool art and some good food to be had if you ignore that and just concentrate on doing your own thing.

Or, you know, you could worry about shit like that, that doesn't really impact your life unless you care about it enough to let it.

Or, you could just stay in one spot and never go anywhere else I suppose.

well yeah, if i lived in CT, i'd be trying like fuck to get out of there too
    what's your point?
    Mass MoCA is a cool place to catch a show, i've seen Beck and Mike Gordon Band there
    but staying there for day's, no fucking way
    place is weird, but not in a good way
    yer kinda of a dick, scrub
    crab in my shoe mouth

Just got word that Bradbury is primed to open next weekend. It isn't worth mentioning except that it means the Portland area is just about good to go. Hopefully Falmouth and Yarmouth dry out by Friday.

Uncalled for buttah.

What? Scrubby's snarky CT guy response to my post? Totally uncalled for. I agree
    Take laps
    crab in my shoe mouth