Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Lawn mowers

Quote Originally Posted by assman View Post
    At 37 yrs old I just purchased my first lawn mower. I bought a self propelled Honda.
    Possibly your last also. I recently retired a 1986 Honda HRC that had been used heavily throughout it's life...thousands of lawns mowed with minimal maintenance to the mower.

Quote Originally Posted by GiBo View Post
    I used something similar to this to clean a vacant lot once. I think it had duel string heads though. Was bigger than this one. It did a great job.
    Folks have one similar. It'll take down 3cm diam poplar without a cough. Peavine and other creepers were the only vegetation that took a bit of care to cut to avoid entanglement. That and buried page fencing...

Quote Originally Posted by assman View Post
    At 37 yrs old I just purchased my first lawn mower. I bought a self propelled Honda.
    you stump for the Donald then buy a Japanese mower made in China ??

Quote Originally Posted by MARSHALL TUCKER View Post
    I've pushmowed an acre of fescue since 1998 in the deep south / 100 degree & high humity because I'm way to fuckin cheep to pay someone. and because I'm outta the house and not bein blamed for something.

So in my expereince craftsman = crap. Had a toro-Techumseh and that was the shit. I got 10 years of weekly use otta that thing. so then I bought another toro this time with kohler. kohler was a piece of shit. the carb would rust out litterally in a month. the manufacturer wouldn't honor nuthn cryin "ethanol enthanol" and it'd did'nt matter what addative or how much went in. so fuck toro's.

went troy built from the blue guys three years ago (B&S I beleive) and it has been the shit so far. Starts / works / never complains. so that's my $.02.
    Briggs, Tecumseh, Honda or Kohler. Doesn't matter, if the carb is rusting or corroding, it's your gas, period.
    Ethanol is a solvent and hygroscopic....shit fuel for carburetor engines.

add-Troy-Bilt is now owned and manufactured by MTD, they make the cheapest piece of shit mowers on the market, but they charge more for the name Troy-Bilt. PS-their tillers are still good quality.
    Last edited by k2skier112; 02-24-2017 at 03:32 PM. Reason: add

Quote Originally Posted by permnation View Post
    Possibly your last also. I recently retired a 1986 Honda HRC that had been used heavily throughout it's life...thousands of lawns mowed with minimal maintenance to the mower.
    Most likely asshat bought a Honda with an OHC engine, they're the cheapo entry level engine, (and made in China). The ones that last a long time are the OHV engines, and they start out at $500+

+

I bought a push mower off craigslist for $20 11 years ago. I have done zero maintenance and it still runs. So I recommend getting that one.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    Briggs, Tecumseh, Honda or Kohler. Doesn't matter, if the carb is rusting or corroding, it's your gas, period.
    Ethanol is a solvent and hygroscopic....shit fuel for carburetor engines.

add-Troy-Bilt is now owned and manufactured by MTD, they make the cheapest piece of shit mowers on the market, but they charge more for the name Troy-Bilt. PS-their tillers are still good quality.
    The point is that if you engineer the damn thing, and you have one shred of integrity, and it gives out in a month, you should make good. I filed under warranty with two certifed follow ups, they never did shit and beat me on endurance. bought the troybuilt fall 2013. don't know if its MTD or what, but it works better than that damn toro.

I'll never buy a toro again though.
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    The ones that last a long time are the OHV engines, and they start out at $500++
    Oh yes, OHV. I just figured he went all out on one of these.
    Name:  HRC216HXA_250x250.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  60.3 KB
    http://powerequipment.honda.com/lawn...dels/hrc216hxa

These are nice machines and tough looking. I have only fondled the 21" at a dealership. The 25" model would be a super-efficient money-maker for small to medium lawns, if you're into that...19% more productive they claim.
    Name:  Bravo25.png
Views: 310
Size:  212.7 KB
    http://www.ybravo.com/GENII-25.asp
    Last edited by permnation; 02-24-2017 at 04:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MARSHALL TUCKER View Post
    The point is that if you engineer the damn thing, and you have one shred of integrity, and it gives out in a month, you should make good. I filed under warranty with two certifed follow ups, they never did shit and beat me on endurance. bought the troybuilt fall 2013. don't know if its MTD or what, but it works better than that damn toro.

I'll never buy a toro again though.
    Ignorance is bliss. Bad fuel is not a manufacturers defect. I have to inform ignoramuses weekly on this issue...

The main problem is the "auto choke" systems. When primers were more popular, one could prime it enough to get past the lean start condition. With automatic chokes this doesn't happen well, they run and die, if they fire at all.

PS-if you continue to run ethanol fuel, E10, you WILL have the same issue with any mower, period. The best thing you can do is buy "clean gas", non-ethanol, adding fuel stabilizer.

Quote Originally Posted by permnation View Post
    Oh yes, OHV. I just figured he went all out on one of these.
    Name:  HRC216HXA_250x250.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  60.3 KB
    http://powerequipment.honda.com/lawn...dels/hrc216hxa

These are nice machines and tough looking. I have only fondled the 21" at a dealership. The 25" model would be a super-efficient money-maker for small to medium lawns, if you're into that...19% more productive they claim.
    Name:  Bravo25.png
Views: 310
Size:  212.7 KB
    http://www.ybravo.com/GENII-25.asp
    There's a reason most mowers use a 21" cut, anything much over 22" and the force of hitting an object, rock, stump...will bend the crankshaft. Most wide walk mowers drive the blade by a belt to prevent damaging the engine.

When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

John Deere, is great if you get an X 300 series. However no need to get an X 300 series for only mowing lawn. If you have to do things like snow plow, move mulch, pull lumber etc. that it is a great machine. However it will set you back at least five grand. For just lawn care you might as well get a Honda or a Toro. Here is my steed with the 48 inch triple mulching blade deck attached. I also have a 48 Inch blade for plowing. I have use this for the past seven years and 3/4 acre grass and a 100+ foot driveway and it runs like a champ. They last foreverClick image for larger version. 

Name:	8C99E115-9F67-4E83-A624-E3BC9C8FD448.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	722.4 KB 
ID:	285595
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

My ride arrives Saturday

Name:  IMG_20190607_164456_515.jpeg
Views: 316
Size:  103.4 KB

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

buddy wasnt gona budge on the purchase price of this house so I asked him to thro in the lawnmower & weedeater, I got the same deal on the last house I bought, not great lawnmowers but they get the job done
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

new ride
    Name:  F2890E.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  159.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by refried View Post
    new ride
    Name:  F2890E.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  159.1 KB
    Nice

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    John Deere, is great if you get an X 300 series. However no need to get an X 300 series for only mowing lawn. If you have to do things like snow plow, move mulch, pull lumber etc. that it is a great machine. However it will set you back at least five grand. For just lawn care you might as well get a Honda or a Toro. Here is my steed with the 48 inch triple mulching blade deck attached. I also have a 48 Inch blade for plowing. I have use this for the past seven years and 3/4 acre grass and a 100+ foot driveway and it runs like a champ. They last foreverClick image for larger version. 

Name:	8C99E115-9F67-4E83-A624-E3BC9C8FD448.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	722.4 KB 
ID:	285595
    The John Deere Honda Pilot model?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Australian model!^^^
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

My mower's a franken mower kept running with replacement parts cannibalized from another same model parts mower, Ain't pretty but 10 years old still starts on the 3rd pull. I replaced the blade (had already sharpened old one many times) and cleaned the plug and filter last weekend.

Lawn mowers

I have two old Honda mowers. When one wouldn’t start I took a chance on cheap replacement carb from Amazon. $15. Took 5 minutes to bolt it on. Runs like a champ again now.

Just ordered an Ego self propelled electric mower. I will post back with impressions soon.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Tucker View Post
    I've pushmowed an acre of fescue since 1998 in the deep south / 100 degree & high humity because I'm way to fuckin cheep to pay someone. and because I'm outta the house and not bein blamed for something.

So in my expereince craftsman = crap. Had a toro-Techumseh and that was the shit. I got 10 years of weekly use otta that thing. so then I bought another toro this time with kohler. kohler was a piece of shit. the carb would rust out litterally in a month. the manufacturer wouldn't honor nuthn cryin "ethanol enthanol" and it'd did'nt matter what addative or how much went in. so fuck toro's.

went troy built from the blue guys three years ago (B&S I beleive) and it has been the shit so far. Starts / works / never complains. so that's my $.02.
    Thanks for the heads up on the latest generation of Toro. Still rocking a 10 year old toro, not sure what model. I'll take a hard pass on anything that says Kohler rather than going there if that's what Toro is next time I need a new mower.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Thanks for the heads up on the latest generation of Toro. Still rocking a 10 year old toro, not sure what model. I'll take a hard pass on anything that says Kohler rather than going there if that's what Toro is next time I need a new mower.
    The ONLY lawnmower manufacturer that makes it own engines are Honda and MTD, MTD engines are cheap pieces of Chinese shit.

Blaming Toro or Craftsman for a non running mower is like blaming the bull dog hood ornament on a Mac truck for the accident.

Any engine that uses an automatic choke, just pull to start with no manual priming or choking, is far more susceptible to hard starting because of the shitty corn gas we're forced into using.

Toro, as do most manufacturers, outsource the engine. If you purchase a GOOD Toro, $600 (ish) & up, you will get a much better engine, usually.

If you run ethanol fuel in ANY engine that has a carburetor, you're a moron. Stabilizer is ALWAYS a must with any fuel.

I bought an 80 volt Kobalt battery powered last year and dig it, no fucking around with gas or oil, lighter. I bought the matching leaf blower as well and it’s held up to a lot of use clearing off my rather large lot at the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Just ordered an Ego self propelled electric mower. I will post back with impressions soon.
    We bought an ego a couple of years ago and it's a nice mower. We have a small lot so we can go 3-4 mowings between charges. Works much better than the Neuton mower it replaced. I like how it senses how much cutting power is needed and ramps the power up or down. Even does a great job mulching leaves in the fall.