Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by spknmike View Post
    Thanks everyone for the well wishes and kind words. (Definitely owe a lot of thanks to everyone involved with my rescue, rehab as well.)

Hope in sharing the story that other bc users might learn something from our day. The article was mostly an accurate account (some quotes not word-for-word and the timeline is a bit off).
    Hope your recovery is going well and fast.
    Thanks for sharing your story.
    It's such a mind awakening.
    And I'm happy the outcome was somewhat ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    It's interesting because there have been a bunch of articles lately in the Montana newspapers about these air rescue services and how much they charge, whether health insurance will pay (they have been refusing), etc. Been kind of a big issue lately. I hope Mike doesn't get stuck with a huge bill for all this. Not that it isn't worth it to save a person's life, but still, that would suck to get billed tens of thousands.
    Im pretty sure that heli/search and rescue is completely free here in Montana. I was seriously hurt on my mountain bike 5 years ago and my buddies decieded SAR was better equipped t than they were to get me out. SAR called in a heli which was not able to land and eventually got me out by other means . I received no bill. I know of other situations where heli's have been deployed and no charges happened.

Quote Originally Posted by MTslackcountry View Post
    Im pretty sure that heli/search and rescue is completely free here in Montana. I was seriously hurt on my mountain bike 5 years ago and my buddies decieded SAR was better equipped t than they were to get me out. SAR called in a heli which was not able to land and eventually got me out by other means . I received no bill. I know of other situations where heli's have been deployed and no charges happened.
    Here's one of the newspaper articles I was talking about...not sure if air ambulance is exactly the same thing as SAR operations, but I have a friend who works for one out of Butte as a paramedic and he seems to go on both rescue missions and ambulance flights.

Spknmike, glad you are okay!

I always enjoyed your pictures, words and website, Mike. I was super bummed to hear about your accident. I know that you will have a speedy and full recovery and that you'll be up to your old ways in no time! Good luck

That was a compelling article... best wishes on a good recovery. This definitely makes me reassess my first aid kit though, I wouldn't have been prepared to treat a partner with an injury of that magnitude, in terms of equipment or knowledge.

Glad you're still with us. Thank you for enlightening us with your story. I will also be reassessing my kit and level of first aid knowledge. Best wishes dude.

Mike. Glad to hear you are home safe and recovering. I have not had the opportunity to meet or rip with you, but have enjoyed your posts and stoke. You will be killing it in no time buddy. I appreciate the fact check on the SpoReview article too. Here are a few quick thoughts of mine:
    1. The classic theme across all sports seems to always reveal that the experts tend to be the ones not just getting into troubled situations, but either death or near death ones. I know this is a board assumption, but I personally feel that the the more time you spend in certain situations, the more comfortable one gets. It might not be the case that the expert is taking bigger risks, but gets complacent. I would say we are all guilty of this sometimes. BTW, not saying that is what happened with Mike or his party, it is just an observation.
    2. From point 1- do not under estimate the importance of a well packed pack. It will weigh more, but if packed right, that should be about the only drawback. It will save your life when if ever needed.
    3. Join Search and Rescue. I have been an active member of Priest Lake Search and Rescue for almost three years. The training (usually at no cost to active members), working with people from all walks of life with a wealth of knowledge and the ability to rescue or recover a person is gratifying. Part of training is preparing your packs for survival situations. I also reflect on how the training removes you personally from being the expert or recreationalist and puts you in the mindset of how a rescue works and operates. Now having working knowledge from two different ends ultimately helps prepare and manage the day. For example, I have the training on the recreational side of avalanches (us being out there in avie terrian) and training on avie operations through a rescue or recovery mission. Having that knowledge from both sides definitely helps me assess risk and how to manage it.
    4. Two Bear Air is truly an amazing asset....really almost a luxury. I have had the opportunity to work with them on a few occasions and it is a seamless effort with those guys. We also use Fairchild's AFB birds if needed and that can be a logistical nightmare sometimes.
    5. Lastly, I live in Sandpoint, Anyone that wants to rip, hit me up. I do not have a pass, but have a sled and ski in the Selkirks, Cabinets, and Koot Pass. Mike, I hope we get to rip together next year!

Cheers.
    Mac

I've long thought about adding some Quikclot to the kit. Going to do it after reading this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Good luck with the recovery Mike! I've enjoyed your site and hope to see you getting after it again soon. That is a harrowing story, thanks for sharing it, both for the education and for the well deserved credit to the efforts of some dedicated people. As much as the injuries must suck, it is really nice to see a spotlight on a story that could have been much worse. It seems like for everything that went wrong you guys (and 2 Bear) had/did enough to answer the situation. Well done all around.

Earlier reports seemed to indicate that Jason was also injured, was that incorrect?

milmac, pm incoming