Jeep rentals around BC/Vail? Summer visit.

Or from DIA

Not sure where to ask this, so I thought I'd start here.

We "won" a week in Beaver Creek for this upcoming summer in a silent auction fund raiser. Will be me, the wife and 5yr old; probably the week of July 9th. Looking forward to having my wife experience CO in the summer. I spent a summer week in Central City about 30yrs ago so I looking forward to this too.
    We go to the beach, and the kid wants to stay at the pool...which we can do at home. And while I love the Mtns of NC in the summer, it's not Colorado.

I plan to try and do some fly fishing (another thread to come), but would also like to explore some of the off pavement high mountain roads. Definitely not looking to do any major rock crawling or anything major sketchy. But would like to try and get to some semi quiet places that are an easy day trip that require a 4x4.

With my Initial searches I find "jeep tours". I'm not interested in having a guide, but just getting the family out on our own. I've looked at renting a 4wd via Turo, but every one of them says " no off-roading", and I'm still not sure about Turo.

Anyone have a suggestion?
    Thanks

Ed: also have an option of a week in June, but thought July would be a much better choice with weather.

I don't know about renting a jeep near Avon. However you can rent full size 4x4 SUVs and pickup trucks at DIA. They just cost "a little" more. I say full size because because you never know what sort of off road ability you will get with rental mid-size SUVs.

There was a guy renting full on Jeep Rubicons in Frisco and you could take them out yourself. $250 a day maybe? This was a few years ago but I took out some family and we had a blast driving around Montezuma/Breckenridge area. Totally worth it. There's a newer outfit that has been renting out atv's and Razors in Frisco too I think. Don't know if you'll find anything in Vail that doesn't involve a guide/driver/tour.

Best option would be DIA or the Eagle airport. I can't think of any place up here that rents them unguided.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Anyone ever used Turo? Some, nice jeeps but say no off-roading, maybe I could speak to them and let them know I'm not trying to do major rock crawling....or just take them to do what I want, anode turn them in good condition.

Thanks for the help guys.

Rent from a agency at DEN that lets you pick your own vehicle from an isle, like National or Alamo.
    Pick the most capable SUV they have.

I'm in Nashville today, rolling in a brand new Toyota LC, for $30/day.

Quote Originally Posted by KenJongIll View Post
    Anyone ever used Turo? Some, nice jeeps but say no off-roading, maybe I could speak to them and let them know I'm not trying to do major rock crawling....or just take them to do what I want, anode turn them in good condition.

Thanks for the help guys.
    I've used Turo a few times and it has worked great two of the three times we tried. The third time we landed in Miami and had a message waiting for us stating that our reservation was canceled because the owner got in an accident. We had been in touch with her that morning. Seemed legit since there was a bad rain storm at the time. We got our money back, but had to scramble to get a car. The lesson learned from that was to have a backup reservation in place.

I would use it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Rent from a agency at DEN that lets you pick your own vehicle from an isle, like National or Alamo.
    Pick the most capable SUV they have.
    I used to get all kinds of 4x4 vehicles when picking up from the "isle" at National in Denver. However that was during the non-tourist season. In winter and summer those vehicles are often set aside for customers who reserved them. Lotsa tourists believe you must have a Suburban just to drive from the airport to your hotel in the mountains.

I know there are jeep rentals down in buena vista.. not sure about up in eagle county.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by This End Up View Post
    I used to get all kinds of 4x4 vehicles when picking up from the "isle" at National in Denver. However that was during the non-tourist season. In winter and summer those vehicles are often set aside for customers who reserved them. Lotsa tourists believe you must have a Suburban just to drive from the airport to your hotel in the mountains.
    True. But most agencies don't charge a cancellation fee, so it never hurts to try and then have a backup.

If you find one this is a good resource for the area. http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php
    あなたのおっぱいは富士山のように美しいです。富士

Kendo Yamamoto "1984"

Don't think there is anywhere in the area.
    Several places down in the San Juans...but not around vail.