Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    A note of refreshing with an iron and kraft paper, don't let it cool to long.
    I've heard of using kraft paper and heat to remove glue, but never for refreshing. I use parchment paper for refreshes and reglues. No problem peeling off parchment paper after it cools.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    A heat gun and scraper didn't work?
    The glue was in good shape, so I didn't want to scrape it all off if I could save it by just picking out the plastic bits. It worked, just took awhile.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
    I've heard of using kraft paper and heat to remove glue, but never for refreshing. I use parchment paper for refreshes and reglues. No problem peeling off parchment paper after it cools.
    I agree with steve the kraft paper or brownpaper shopping bags are used to soak up the glue that is being heated with an iron but I have never tried it

My buddy the MD (I trust him sewing up my lip but he should not be allowed to own tools) tried this method which was going ok until he ran out of bags so he used newspaper which made a big fucking mess so I had to go over with my heatgun & putty knife, digital wax iron, i told buddy he was lucky some professions still do house calls

I have heard some people say "wax paper" when they reallly mean parchment paper, I am betting wax paper would also make a real fuckign mess

if you keep the skin backing that came with your new skins it also works for the re-heat/re-glue job

If a re-heat doesnt work then heat n scrape all the old shit off IMO
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I agree with steve the kraft paper or brownpaper shopping bags are used to soak up the glue that is being heated with an iron but I have never tried it

My buddy the MD tried this method which was going ok until he ran out of bags so he used newspaper which made a big fucking mess

I had to go over with my heatgun & putty knife, digital wax iron, i told buddy he was lucky some professions still do house calls

I have heard some people say "wax paper" when they reallly mean parchment paper, I am betting wax paper would also make a real fuckign mess

It's good to clarify this because some may be inclined to use brown paper bags or paint masking paper vs parchment.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

I've twice seen factory G3 glue break down into a slimy messy goo. That was a few years ago. Maybe G3 figured it out since then.
    Mine (alpinists, backcountry branded) are sticky and gooey as hell after a season and a half but they still stick fine. Kind of messy to handle at room temperature but I prefer it to my BDs which often just refuse to stick when reapplying skins in the cold for another lap.

I've had more probs with G3 than BD

I've got BD,G3, pomoca and IME sooner or later they all fuck up ... reglue with gold label

On G3 Alpinists. I've never bothered to use skin savers, always glue on glue. When the glue gets gummy and sparse (every 50 days or so of use) I hot iron it smooth, and patch the gaps with gold label. I tried the glue-on sheets once, which was a painfully difficult process, the glue peeled off in patches always seeming to want to attach more too itself than the skins, and the skins sometimes couldn't be separated in cold temps. I replace my skins after every 2 seasons of full-time use. The new G3 skin savers (which came with some skins I received yesterday) look much heavier gauge, are much stiffer and more open weave than any others I've seen.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1457138763.848388.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	565.3 KB 
ID:	177698

mmmm! award winning red racer

FYI, BD warrantied the skins. New set on their way.

Just noticed yesterday some of the G3 pink was appearing as pink dots on my glue. Like the look of those new G3 savers.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    On G3 Alpinists. I've never bothered to use skin savers, always glue on glue. When the glue gets gummy and sparse (every 50 days or so of use) I hot iron it smooth, and patch the gaps with gold label.
    I do the same with all my skins, which have included many pairs of BD, G3, and Pomocas. Glue to glue, store in a cool place, reheat using the Black Diamond paper when they get gummy, touch up with Gold Label. No skin savers ever.

BD skin savers disintegrating?

I always fold mine skin to glue (way easier and quicker). Never had issues with that, even mohair, though I store them glue to glue in the basement at the end of the season.

mine are glue to glue all season but i made the mistake of using the "savers" in the summer. no more.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    I do the same with all my skins, which have included many pairs of BD, G3, and Pomocas. Glue to glue, store in a cool place, reheat using the Black Diamond paper when they get gummy, touch up with Gold Label. No skin savers ever.
    I put the iron directly on the glue. Works like magic.

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    I put the iron directly on the glue. Works like magic.
    Haven't tried that, but you get a beautiful mirror finish if you use the OEM Black Diamond release paper and let it cool a few minutes before pulling it off.

I have always been of the impression that the iron/paper trick is really for heating the glue for scraping, or for doing a heat refreshing of the glue. I have not really been impressed by large amounts of dirt and contaminants sticking to the paper after ironing it

Quote Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
    I have always been of the impression that the iron/paper trick is really for heating the glue for scraping, or for doing a heat refreshing of the glue. I have not really been impressed by large amounts of dirt and contaminants sticking to the paper after ironing it
    You can do it twice. First time, pull it off while hot and clean off the paper with citrus solvent. Second time, leave it on until it cools and then pull it off.

Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    Throw the skin savers away and go glue to glue
    This.
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!