Compact Camera for Travel/Primary Camera? RX100?

Looking to buy a compact/large sensor compact for three months of travel – skiing, beaches, bike trip, Euro cities – and to possibly “replace” my DSLR in the long run. Care about: landscapes, low-light shooting, manual shooting, RAW, size, build quality. Not as important: big zoom, super high quality video, super fast continuous drive, touch screen.

Possible cameras:
    -Panasonic Lumix LX100 – size and hot-shoe flash concern me.
    -Canon G5 X – lower battery life than Sonys. Nothing stands out too much for me, it just always seems to be in the discussion.
    -Canon G7 X – ditto.
    -Sony RX100 III – older, but seems like it fits my criteria. Longer battery life than IV.
    -Sony RX100 IV – seems awesome, but video and a few smaller features seem to be the only main advantages from III.

(Comparison link for the nerdy: http://www.dpreview.com/products/com...tDir=ascending ).

I know the quality won’t be the same as my 70D, however, I’m at the point where convenience and good quality trump inconvenient and great quality. Any other cameras I should consider? I know Sony is more expensive, but given I might sell my DSLR gear, it seems like the RX100 could be worth it. (And Kidwoo's thread had lots of praise for the RX100).

Thanks in advance.

I had the RX100 in addition to my DSLR gear. It was very good for the size of the camera and I think when comparing and RX100 to a crop cam with some average lenses, it's kind of a no brainer. They make a lot of sense to a lot of people. Here's my .02 cents:

-If size is a concern, lx100 and the g5x would be a no for me. Are you really going to use a hotshoe? And yeah, the viewfinder is nice, but they all have nice touch screens these days (don't they? just guessing...). What's the point of ditching the DSLR gear for something that takes worse pictures but you still need a special thing to carry the around in....doesn't fit in your pocket. Purely my opinion here. If you're looking at a camera this size I'd be looking at the G1x MII. I absolutely LOVED my g1x mark i. Everyone complains they're slow (which they are) but if you plan for a shot that 1.5" sensor produces really good results. Noticeably better than the Rx100 I had.
    -I think you'd be happy with the G7x or RX100ii through IV. Camera store TV did a nice compare of the two: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_E6Mxxe_kG4. Would seem silly to pay for the extra features of a IV but if there is not much of a price difference then why not.

FWIW I ended up selling the RX100 and keeping the DSLR kit...haven't missed the RX100 at all.

Nikon just came out with some 1" sensor cameras that might be worth a look. http://www.dpreview.com/news/3646441...on-dl-compacts

My cousin has a lx100 that I had a chance to play around with. Seems like a really nice camera with nice controls and interface. The size is quite reasonable. It would fit easily in a jacket pocket but maybe not a pants pocket.

Having been a long time SLR owner and more recent owner of the g7x I have a few observations. Overall this is a badass camera. Image quality is excellent and I like the jpeg formula canon uses. I picked it over the rx100 series for the greater zoom range and low f-stops (1.8-2.8). I also really like the exposure compensation dial on top as I have been shooting a lot of skiing since I got it 4 months ago. What I don't like: there is no viewfinder. For action shots with multiple exposures the lcd goes black when the shutter button is held and you are forced to try and follow the object with no view. I can see the rx100 with view finder (iii&iv I believe) being superior here. The lens on the sonys has a smaller zoom range however. I might have considered the g5x with a viewfinder but I found a good deal on the g7x and it was more pocketable. The smallest camera of the bunch is the rx100 version 1 without tilting screen and larger fstop (1.8-4.9) when zoomed. Also don't expect much depth of field with these cameras. I would hang on to your slr setup until you decide it is a replacement. I see them more as complimentary.
    Last edited by skialpy; 02-25-2016 at 11:50 AM.

I've had the original RX100 for a few years and it's been bomber. Fits in my pocket and takes a beating. Just shot these last week of SFB. The enlargement is cropped from the second pic. It shoots 20mp, so zooming in is great after the fact. I like it because it's so small, I always take it. Depth of field isn't really a problem, either.

Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Awesome, guys: thanks for the great feedback. Everyone more or less confirmed what I was hearing about the RX100 - and some good feedback on the g7x - as well as those cool new Nikon's (though they get released too late for me to consider).

I'll probably do some more research and buy a RX100 III or IV. Cheers!

Another die-hard RX100 user (v1, 2, and now 3). Yes, you can't get same DOF, but the image quality is superb, the battery is decent/good, and the portability makes it far more likely I have it than my DSLR. The lack of zoom could be an issue, but for my shooting style, it's really not an issue...it's an effective 100mm lens at highest zoom, but I find that I only use that much magnification when I need maximal DOF/focusing/motor speed, none of which really exists in a compact camera.

Good to hear some thoughts on the Rx100. Came over here to start a thread about it, but ended up seeing this thread. Currently looking for a pocketable camera that is superior to my Samsung S6. Shouldn't be too hard...

Other things on the wish list:
    - Large sensor
    - Fast focus
    - Manual controls
    - Wifi/Bluetooth connection to phone
    - Somewhat rugged design for biking/skiing

Some considerations:
    - Should I just get a m4/3 and call it a day? I used to have a Nikon D90 and that was my first foray into the DSLR world. Really enjoyed my time with it, unfortunately the camera died a tragic death about 3 years ago. Never had the money to replace it. I like having glass options, but more important to me at this point is portability and not having to schlep a camera bag around. Did anyone go through this and end up with something along the lines of an OMD EM10 or similar?

Quote Originally Posted by geomorph View Post
    Nikon just came out with some 1" sensor cameras that might be worth a look. http://www.dpreview.com/news/3646441...on-dl-compacts

My cousin has a lx100 that I had a chance to play around with. Seems like a really nice camera with nice controls and interface. The size is quite reasonable. It would fit easily in a jacket pocket but maybe not a pants pocket.
    I hadn't seen those yet... but they just made the top of my I want one list.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

I know the sensor size is smaller than the competition, but so far I've appreciated this recommendation: http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...39#post4621539

I don't know shit about cameras but there was an article the March issue of Bicycling Magazine about point and shoots...

http://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/...-shoot-cameras
    The Sheriff is near!

I'm a fan of Sony, particularly the nex line. I really only know about their cameras. I don't know too much about the rx100. I just glanced over it & it looks like if you really want as compact as can be, the rx100 would be better than the nex.

I have the nex6 and a two good friends have had the 5n and 7. All are great pretty tough and capable FWIW. I ski with my camera in my big front jacket pocket and I don't mind it at all, and it hasn't had any problems. I've also skied with lenses in the same pocket with no problems.

If you want an easier manual shooting experience & endless supply of of lens possibilities go for the nex. There's adapters for every mount you can think of(For example, I have an adapter so I can use my medium format Pentacon six tl lenses on my nex just because why not). If shooting manual & using multiple lenses is not something you really want to get into, get the rx100 it's great too..but without all the accessories.

PM me if you want more info on the nex system.

I've got a G1X Mk2 and it's great, but more than anything it makes me miss my SLR. I'll probably sell mine, and I'm thinking about finding a 760D or 70D or 80D.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

Does the RX100 have a built in time lapse mode?

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Does the RX100 have a built in time lapse mode?
    Nope. You have to use buy their timelapse app for (I think) $10 from their store to be able to use a proper time lapse mode.

Compact Camera for Travel/Primary Camera? RX100?

Been digging the camera guys. Just spent a week in Culebra, PR and have had some good shots, Tapatalk/Insta just makes it hard to post them here. Love that it can do manual and In-camera HDR has been fun. Plus the wifi to the phone is convenient. No complaints.

Will post pics when I figure out the easiest way to do it.

I recently bought a Sony a6300. Love it for travel and adventure photography. I've taken it to Europe for a 2 week trip, and recently packed it in an old army surplus bag attached to my handlebars during a 4 day off road bike tour, worked like a champ. Durable, compact, interchangable lenses, great image quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Farr View Post
    I recently bought a Sony a6300. Love it for travel and adventure photography. I've taken it to Europe for a 2 week trip, and recently packed it in an old army surplus bag attached to my handlebars during a 4 day off road bike tour, worked like a champ. Durable, compact, interchangable lenses, great image quality.
    I just picked up a used a6000, going to give it a try and see if I end up replacing the DSLR or not. The viewfinder that doesn't go black during continuous shooting, continuous shooting with AF, and phase detection AF is a big plus for the a6000 and a6300. Just not ready to pay for the a6300 until I'm sure on the "switch".

bumping this thread to inquire about the RX100 V. does anyone have one, and is it worth the premium over the IV?

Mainly interested in the proclaimed improvements to AF. Other than that I don't see any big differences in a side by side comparison other than continuous shooting speeds which is not very important to me.

I should also mention that I can get a V for less then the sticker price of the IV, IV for less than price of III, etc.