Truck Bed MTB Solution?

I'll be carrying several bikes (multiple times) on trips for my Chasing Epic, and I want to figure out a more secure way to keep them in my truck bed. For most of my trips, I'm going to use a tailgate pad to hold up to 7 bikes, which isn't an issue.

The problem I have is at the front of the bed where the rear wheels sit. Other than a bungee cord or a cinch-strap, is there a solution that allows me to securely tie down the rear wheels so the bikes don't move around? Maybe something I can connect to the front of the bed (below the RockyMounts racks in this picture) that allows me to attach individual straps for each wheel? I'd prefer to keep it off the truck bed itself, if possible.

A trucker strap through the frames to your bed rails would seem to be the simplest solution.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Would something like this solve the problem? With a strap through all the wheels to secure?

^^^ I thought about that too, even one built to sit flat like a pallet, until i saw his 'rather keep it off the truck bed itself' comment...

the sailor in me visualizes three pulley systems using really light line, each attached to a number '3' looking piece that snags two rear tires. Pulleys are mounted on the railing in front of the RockyMounts, then turn to the driver's side, do another right turn down the driver's side rail, and each have a nice Harken cleat to secure it with. Figure if six are secured tightly, a seventh will sit pretty still...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    ^^^ I thought about that too, even one built to sit flat like a pallet, until i saw his 'rather keep it off the truck bed itself' comment.....
    You could turn it upside down and get the same effect maybe could be hard with different wheelsizes.

Why does it need to stay off the truck bed? Seems like the tires will be there anyway. Maybe he just didn't want to mount brackets through the bed.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    You could turn it upside down and get the same effect maybe could be hard with different wheelsizes.

Why does it need to stay off the truck bed? Seems like the tires will be there anyway. Maybe he just didn't want to mount brackets through the bed.
    was wondering the same thing with the custom pallet idea....
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

I made a little frame out of slotted aluminum rails for my dad's pickup similar to the ones you can buy from thule. Was something like $70 for the parts from mcmaster and it works pretty well:

And kuat makes bolt down mounts for thru axles, or you I think hurricane makes locking ones.

The main change I would make is to use larger pieces, instead of 1" I would go with 1.5 to reduce flex. Would also stick some riv-nuts right into the bed to hold it down instead of relying just on compression through the pads and jam nuts on the end. You also want it to be as close to the front of the bed as possible, and maybe even raised up near the level of the top of the bed in order to accomdate longer bikes. I stuck a precept in there once and it had to be at an angle to close the bed. A way to strap the rear wheels would also be nice but everything seems to stay put.

You're right... I really just don't want to mount anything to the truck bed floor itself.

Tye1on, your "sailor" solution is close to what I'm envisioning, except how would I mount something like that to the front wall of the truck bed? Ideally I think I just want a rail mounted to the front of the bed with loops or hooks, where I can then use straps for each rear wheel...

Would something like this solve the problem? With a strap through all the wheels to secure?

I had a rack in my old truck that held bikes upright like that, though it was made from horizontal 2x4s rather than PVC. Given that you have to deal with differing tire widths it is hard to design one that will hold the bikes stable even with straps to hold them down. For multiple bikes I find the tailgate pad to be by far the most secure way to carry a bunch of bikes.

For the two bikes on the outside we strap the rear wheel to the tie down right behind the cab. Normally we just put a single strap through the front triangle of all the bikes which does an ok job - sometimes the 29ers will tip over. If it is a full load of 5+ bikes we stuff camelbacks and pads between the bikes to keep them from bouncing around. We have never tried to tie down the rear wheels of the inner bikes because they are normally jammed in there with gear. If you wanted to tie them down you could stretch one bungee across the Rocky mounts and then stretch one bungee from that back to each rear wheel. Not sure how well that would work but it would be simple. You could always get some pieces of foam to put in between the bikes too.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    You could always get some pieces of foam to put in between the bikes too.
    I was thinking some old bedding like quilts/comforters would work well too.
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

Quote Originally Posted by powpig View Post
    I was thinking some old bedding like quilts/comforters would work well too.
    Definitely. Or old seat cushions

Do you have a rack on the truck? Wondering if a J type hook on the bottom of a rack would work somehow. Possibly even get two rows of bikes with the tailgate down. Then a quick motorcycle strap through the frames. Not sure if it would be high enough or even work at all.

I think I figured it out by accident last night. The racks you see in the picture are actually going to be moved so they're vertically oriented on the top rail of the truck (just above where they are currently). Once I do that, I can use each rack itself to loop a strap through, and then connect it to the rear tire. With three racks and two "posts" each, that gives me 6 bikes worth of coverage... more than plenty.

Why not get them out of the box? North Shore Rack. The 6 bike ones are way too much money but if you've got a welder you could build one for cheap.

They're multi purpose too.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	received_10156010507430341.jpeg 
Views:	134 
Size:	110.9 KB 
ID:	177018
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    I'll be carrying several bikes (multiple times) on trips for my Chasing Epic, and I want to figure out a more secure way to keep them in my truck bed. For most of my trips, I'm going to use a tailgate pad to hold up to 7 bikes, which isn't an issue.

The problem I have is at the front of the bed where the rear wheels sit. Other than a bungee cord or a cinch-strap, is there a solution that allows me to securely tie down the rear wheels so the bikes don't move around? Maybe something I can connect to the front of the bed (below the RockyMounts racks in this picture) that allows me to attach individual straps for each wheel? I'd prefer to keep it off the truck bed itself, if possible.
    What kind of terrain are you driving on?
    Other than desert racing, I don't see how the rear wheels are moving around. I've been using a tailgate pad for four years and that's never been an issue. The ribs in the floor hold everything fine.
    Also, the more bikes you have, the better it works.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.