Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by forty View Post
    after reading this and the equivalent pb article im curious what sort of shock setup you had in comparison, sag, compression, fork setup?
    Yeah, I mean some of the stuff I wasn't surprised about Kazimer writing having spent a lot more than 3-4 hours on the bike: it's not the snappiest/whippiest bike out there and fairly heavy for that rear end being 130 (although it didn't feel that shallow). I didn't tool around too much with the suspension, 30% sag front and rear I think and middle of the road for compression and rebound, although I did soften the low-speed compression and rebound a hair on the Pike and thought it a better match after that. One thing I didn't get a chance to compare as much was the rock garden experience - PB was saying it bounced around and wasn't super smooth, I didn't particularly notice that but we probably got through maybe 5 different such zones on the final trail. Going to have it out in Jackson for a bit when things melt and excited to test it here since I have a few particular sections of trail that would really do a good job discerning handling at speed, snappiness, performance in long rocky bits, and lateral flex.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Diamondback's Level Link lines up the two white linkages perpedincular to each other when the bike is sagged, which, in English, makes for very efficient pedaling.
    Why do I expect that bit of marketing BS is the heart of their patent app?

Looks like an interesting bike anyway; guessing anti-squat is more similar to Yeti's approach than SC just from looking at it. The list gets longer.

I checked out the Evil website for the first time yesterday.

So other than the sex factor, has anyone here had a chance to actually ride one that can comment on the rear linkage? Looks pretty cool but I'm curious if all that extra engineering accomplished anything other than raising the price.

Still, it does look pretty

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    I checked out the Evil website for the first time yesterday.

So other than the sex factor, has anyone here had a chance to actually ride one that can comment on the rear linkage? Looks pretty cool but I'm curious if all that extra engineering accomplished anything other than raising the price.

Still, it does look pretty
    It was my favorite bike of all the 2016s I've ridden: http://www.tetongravity.com/story/bi...from-interbike
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

I'm most excited about my new Bronson!

Large cc Bronson 2.0
    RaceFace SixC 35mm bar, 800, green
    Turbine 60mm stem
    ODI Longnecks, purple
    Purple hope topcap
    Whiskey UD carbon spacers
    Guide RSC brakes, 200/180
    Reverb Stealth
    Syncros Xr1.0 carbon saddle
    Pike 150mm
    Next SL Cranks, 170/34t
    x01 cassette, RD, Shifter, XX1 chain
    Hope Pro4 Purple hubs
    DT Swiss supercomps
    Alu Purple DT swiss nips
    Green valve cores
    Mercury X1 carbon rims

DHRII front, MinionSS rear
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Badass rig dude!

No ENVE wheels? Way to cheap out man. ;-)
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Phall, what is that apparatus you're using under your seat? Better than a small lezyne bag?

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Really love my Warden and thinking I should upgrade to carbon. Bike does it all.

No Enve's, we stock Mercury here at the shop and they really wanted people on the product this year to get the name out. The X1 is a bad ass carbon rim, 26mm internal width, hookless. With a boost hub, this is a stiff wheelset.

Quote Originally Posted by markcjr View Post
    Phall, what is that apparatus you're using under your seat? Better than a small lezyne bag?
    Its a SpeedSleev:
    http://www.speedsleev.com/product-ca...pro-seatsleev/

I can't stand riding with a pack unless I'm on a long (2+) hour ride, or somewhere where layers/tools are needed (Whole Enchilada, etc).

I have a single 27.5 tube, a single steel core tire lever, 2x20g c02's, then I'm running this small zippered bag from Backcountry Research:
    http://backcountryresearch.com/tulbag-storage.html

Which has a multi-tool, derailleur hanger, zip tie, quick link, and the c02 head. Its a heavy package, but with a 20oz bottle in the cage and a small platypus bottle in the pocket of my bibs, I can stand to ride 2 hours or so in most conditions.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    No Enve's, we stock Mercury here at the shop and they really wanted people on the product this year to get the name out. The X1 is a bad ass carbon rim, 26mm internal width, hookless. With a boost hub, this is a stiff wheelset.

Its a SpeedSleev:
    http://www.speedsleev.com/product-ca...pro-seatsleev/

I can't stand riding with a pack unless I'm on a long (2+) hour ride, or somewhere where layers/tools are needed (Whole Enchilada, etc).

I have a single 27.5 tube, a single steel core tire lever, 2x20g c02's, then I'm running this small zippered bag from Backcountry Research:
    http://backcountryresearch.com/tulbag-storage.html

Which has a multi-tool, derailleur hanger, zip tie, quick link, and the c02 head. Its a heavy package, but with a 20oz bottle in the cage and a small platypus bottle in the pocket of my bibs, I can stand to ride 2 hours or so in most conditions.
    I am looking at updating my setup, as after riding twice last year without a pack I was like, oh, this is kinda nice.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

I started pretty seriously 2 seasons ago. I bought some of Giro's liner bibs which have 3 pockets on the back, and now have the Pearl Izumi liner bibs with the same set up. Specialized makes the SWAT bibs too. I'm generally able to bring a bar/gel, tube, multi-tool, c02s phone, and 2 bottles up to 24oz each with that setup if I want. I prefer running everything on the bike if possible, because I've seen some pictures of people crashing on tools that are in those bib pockets. That SpeedSleev allows me to carry everything but food, 2nd bottle if needed, and phone on the bike and off my body. Progression is regression.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    I am looking at updating my setup, as after riding twice last year without a pack I was like, oh, this is kinda nice.

I run the speedsleeve too, only mine goes around top tube and carries a little less than the seat one, tube and lever.

I'm surprised they're not more common, everybody asks me where I got it. Locally there's a guy making mini frame bags for the Nomad so all my friends are rocking that.

Those both look interesting. I have small bags I use for bikepacking that I can also use if I don't want to ride with a pack. Cheaper one is a Planet Bike snack pack which is a top tube that also fits in a smaller frame space on my Mojo SL - typically stays there with a spare tube and some tools. I often use a Revelate feed bag or two. Carries a bottle in each or I often put my i-phone, map and or snacks in one.

http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Bike-BG.../dp/B000BR2V9K
    https://www.revelatedesigns.com/inde...ountainFeedbag

I gave up the pack almost two years ago so my bike is starting to look like a bikepacking rig. I use bibs with pockets but like was said above don't put anything hard in them because when you fall it hurts. Bars, gels and maybe a soft 1l reservoir but no tools or phone.

http://bikase.com/product/long-john-frame-bag/
    Small enough that you can still get to the water bottle easily if you put it inside the triangle, I run mine on top of the top tube with the stabilizer wrapped on the seat tube/post.

http://bikase.com/product/transporter/ if you need a LOT of space and http://bikase.com/product/wing-side-open-seat-bag/ if you can get away with a bit less. Both open wide so it's easy to access stuff.

http://bikase.com/product/handy-andy-6/ Velcro, well padded and zips so the phone can't fall or bounce out. Not the most elegant solution but it just plain works.

After a full-service and some new rubber, my 5 year old 26" carbon nomad is good to go. I'm calling bullshit on 27.5", long and low geometry, 1X drivetrains, and all so called progress in that time. I've demoed dozens of the latest and greatest bikes, but haven't found even one that tempted me to drop $5000 plus on a new ride. Until that happens, I'll continue to put my disposable income into trips.

http://www.vitalmtb.com/photos/featu...ow,0/sspomer,2

It would take a lot to give up my Scout but I'll be following this pretty closely. I really, really liked the DH bike I had but their geometry was pretty out of date. Hopefully they get it dialed on this and can keep the weight reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    http://www.vitalmtb.com/photos/featu...ow,0/sspomer,2

It would take a lot to give up my Scout but I'll be following this pretty closely. I really, really liked the DH bike I had but their geometry was pretty out of date. Hopefully they get it dialed on this and can keep the weight reasonable.
    I was drooling over this today as well. No idea how it rides but a mass produced (hopefully) gearbox bike is great to see. Like you, I'm very happy on my current bike (Warden) and it will likely take a significant change like this to have me seriously looking at other options.

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    I was drooling over this today as well. No idea how it rides but a mass produced (hopefully) gearbox bike is great to see. Like you, I'm very happy on my current bike (Warden) and it will likely take a significant change like this to have me seriously looking at other options.
    That thing looks sweet, but... Noel will never let you go. Sorry

I saw one of those Zerod DH bikes over the weekend. It was probably close to 50lbs. Interesting idea, but a million miles away from my 37lb Podium which rides like a friggin dream.

All that shit you guys strap to your bikes? Does it make the bike feel like a brick? Dose it rattle around like a Huffy? Would love to have a way of carrying a multitool and a couple bars on my DH bike, but I can't imagine tolerating that on anything other than flow trails.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Would love to have a way of carrying a multitool and a couple bars on my DH bike, but I can't imagine tolerating that on anything other than flow trails.
    I have a friend who uses one of these. http://www.raceface.com/apparel/Stor...age/rip-strip/

I haven't heard of him losing anything out of it and he seems to like it.

I'd rather deal with a few quirks than ride with a pack and I've never been a weight weenie. I was having problems breathing and didn't even realize until I didn't have one on just how much it affected my mobility on the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    I saw one of those Zerod DH bikes over the weekend. It was probably close to 50lbs. Interesting idea, but a million miles away from my 37lb Podium which rides like a friggin dream.
    The weight is a non issue, at least on the DH bike. It's all centralized and low in the frame and it actually moves some of the weight that would be outward (cassette, derailleur) into the middle of the bike. 50lbs is probably an exaggeration unless it had some ridiculously heavy parts, I think mine was under 45lbs without any fancy light parts.

Obviously the weight will matter more on a trail bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Lev View Post
    That thing looks sweet, but... Noel will never let you go. Sorry
    Ha, probably true. Dude better get his ass to a Fruita Fest soon or I'm going to revoke my loyalty card. I keep considering the carbon Warden but I can't really peg anything that I think will improve over the alloy. Tough to justify spending the money based off that plus all my orange stuff would look odd on it.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    The weight is a non issue, at least on the DH bike. It's all centralized and low in the frame and it actually moves some of the weight that would be outward (cassette, derailleur) into the middle of the bike. 50lbs is probably an exaggeration unless it had some ridiculously heavy parts, I think mine was under 45lbs without any fancy light parts.

Obviously the weight will matter more on a trail bike.
    The article says 30 lbs.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.