Factory Edge Bevel for Moment Governor?

Anyone happen to know of the top of your pretty little head?

I believe all Moments are 1 & 1

thank you. anyone else?

I should have been more specific.

Luke Jacobsen VP Engineering at Moment told me Moments are 1 & 1.

AH! specific indeed! Much appreciated.

Legit question-- How is it NOT 1:1?

Is there any ski manufacturer that doesn't follow that standard?

Edges are frequently 1 and 2, or even 1 and 3.
    I've been doing .5 and 2. It's rad. Just, ya know, have edge control.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

^^^ I think he gaijin means isn't 1:1 standard factory finish for most, if not all, ski manufacturers.

I run 1:2.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

dunno. Legit question indeed. I'd guess maybe it varies with the purpose of the ski? Race skis 1:2 or 3?

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Legit question-- How is it NOT 1:1?

Is there any ski manufacturer that doesn't follow that standard?

Depends on the brand.. there is an old thread somewhere (might be epic..) that has a bunch of info.

Atomics come 1:3 for example...

But then again, as we all know factory finishes can be pretty variable and unreliable in general. Never hurts to measure it or just cut in the edge you want..

I'm going to 1:2 now that the factory edge has a couple of seasons. Just want to know where I was starting. Super nice base and edge finish when I got them with just a few days on them. They've held up amazingly well through last years bony conditions.

Slight sidetrack, 2 of my sons are on new Cochises. They ski really hard and put a lot of days on them, and I'm extremely impressed with how well those edges have held up.

Here's some good nerdy discussion for those who care:

http://www.epicski.com/t/129722/fact...g-to-find-them

I've a list on my site that I try to keep up to date so if anyone know the specs of a make that's not on there then let me know & I'll add to the list.
    http://www.thepisteoffice.com/index....fications.html

^^^Thanks!

most time I've ever spent reading epic.... QUOTE=JayPowHound;4667742]Here's some good nerdy discussion for those who care:

http://www.epicski.com/t/129722/fact...g-to-find-them[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    I've a list on my site that I try to keep up to date so if anyone know the specs of a make that's not on there then let me know & I'll add to the list.
    http://www.thepisteoffice.com/index....fications.html
    Thanks, Jon!

Quote Originally Posted by pfluffenmeister View Post
    ^^^ I think he gaijin means isn't 1:1 standard factory finish for most, if not all, ski manufacturers.

I run 1:2.
    Yup. Standard Factory Finish is what I was implying. OEM.

Curious-- anyone run higher angles on their base? I started a thread last year (?) as I'm thinking of running a 2 or 3 degree base on my Renegades. It's a reverse-camber 122waist ski and on firm/ice it's like riding razorblades that hook with fierce power in small footprints, making it require more attention than I'd care to give. Why are we pretending it's a carving tool?

And, being as when I need edges my hips are usually at higher angles than a mere degree, I'm kind of thinking skis like the Ren would benefit from a major rethinking on edge angles.

I have surfing skis from which I drive the base from underfoot. And, I have carving skis from which I drive from my shin, tip-to-tail through the ski. Surely both these styles don't benefit the most from the same bevels (and depths of bevels.)

That said, it's not easy to begin carving away at my skis in some sort of trial and error game... might as well dremel a spoon at that point.

Have you tried deburring, polishing, and just running a gummy stone along the contact points (or maybe even the whole thing)?
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Curious-- anyone run higher angles on their base?...That said, it's not easy to begin carving away at my skis in some sort of trial and error game... might as well dremel a spoon at that point.
    I took a cleaver to my K2 Darksides and slightly 'spooned' the bases from tip to just before the contact point of the rocker/camber. I figured if it really screwed up the skis; what the file taketh away, the p-tex gun can restore...don't really need the metal edges in the rocker section i.m.e; they've already been completely rounded off with detuning and rock abrasion.

No real tech specs, just wrapped some duct tape around a cross hatched pattern bastard file and started hacking away. Speculating about 2-3 degrees of base bevel to about 1.5cms inboard from edge. Previous to the base edge bevel, custom bent a bit more rocker into the tip. All efforts were to make the soft tip a bit less hooky/deflecty in Alpine variable snow. Wind crust, wind board, strastugi, hard slab, stiffer soft slab, upside down snow, etc... So far got 'em out in a good whack of those conditions heliskiing and the mods have yet to disappoint...smooth, forgiving tip engagement with no surprises in med/long radius high alpine cruising turns and aggressive short radius scrubbed turns in steeps.

Went for a full tip to tail 0.5cm or so base edge bevel on some 'too short' armada kufos to see what happens. A little smoother at the tip in variable backcountry snow, just a hair less 'turn back up the fall line' in certain snow conditions but not much change in bounds on firmer groomers; still a bit overturny from the front.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1060425.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	582.3 KB 
ID:	177355  
    Last edited by swissiphic; 02-28-2016 at 12:42 PM.
    Master of mediocrity.

Have you tried deburring, polishing, and just running a gummy stone along the contact points (or maybe even the whole thing)?
    Yes, I've tried that. I love my skis, I'm just rethinking the standard approach to edge angles being as design has evolved so much. I'm also aware that I'll likely never feel 1degree in 3D snow.

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    I took a cleaver to my K2 Darksides and slightly 'spooned' the bases from tip to just before the contact point of the rocker/camber. I figured if it really screwed up the skis; what the file taketh away, the p-tex gun can restore...don't really need the metal edges in the rocker section i.m.e; they've already been completely rounded off with detuning and rock abrasion.

No real tech specs, just wrapped some duct tape around a cross hatched pattern bastard file and started hacking away. Speculating about 2-3 degrees of base bevel to about 1.5cms inboard from edge. Previous to the base edge bevel, custom bent a bit more rocker into the tip. All efforts were to make the soft tip a bit less hooky/deflecty in Alpine variable snow. Wind crust, wind board, strastugi, hard slab, stiffer soft slab, upside down snow, etc... So far got 'em out in a good whack of those conditions heliskiing and the mods have yet to disappoint...smooth, forgiving tip engagement with no surprises in med/long radius high alpine cruising turns and aggressive short radius scrubbed turns in steeps.

Went for a full tip to tail 0.5cm or so base edge bevel on some 'too short' armada kufos to see what happens. A little smoother at the tip in variable backcountry snow, just a hair less 'turn back up the fall line' in certain snow conditions but not much change in bounds on firmer groomers; still a bit overturny from the front.
    Thanks a lot for detailing your work. I appreciate it. I still want a sharp edge when I need it, so I'm thinking of simply a bigger bevel to lift the edges when I don't need them (in soft snow.) My skis aren't too hooky, I'm trying to make them surfier on hard groomer/transfers. I'm also of the thought that that goal is a moot point.