Page 28 of 599 FirstFirst ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mtskibum16 View Post
    Wren 98 or 108 as an everyday driver in a two ski quiver with the older style (2013) Moment Bibby Pro? Or even the Kartel 108? I'm 5'10" 165lbs and a strong skier. Skiing the Seattle area primarily. These will be replacing my 185 Cochise. I liked the Cochise on days when I was able to get after it, but its replacement also needs to be somewhat fun when the speeds come down on days with the wife and friends that aren't as fast. Hoping for something that can still get after it, but is a bit more lively on the groomers and slower speed messing around. Not necessarily playful or jibby, but lively. The Cochise will carve groomers but just at higher speed. Something that can still be fun at lower speeds without having to slide all the turns, especially when it's harder conditions. The priority is still something that will keep me happy at speed in chop/crud and steeps. I just find that most days with a faster crowd it's usually storm cycle and if it's soft at all I'm on the Bibbys. I find myself on the Cochise (and their future replacements) when it's a harder and slower day.
    Reallistically this is what I have my wren 98's for. Cruising with the family. This weekend (Before the storm) I was skiing a mixture of hardpack, and some wind deposited dust on crust with my little girl. They were perfect for tooling around, but were nice and stable when I really opened them up.
    Training for Alpental

Quote Originally Posted by PhiberAwptik View Post
    Reallistically this is what I have my wren 98's for. Cruising with the family. This weekend (Before the storm) I was skiing a mixture of hardpack, and some wind deposited dust on crust with my little girl. They were perfect for tooling around, but were nice and stable when I really opened them up.
    Do you suspect you'd be happy on them as a daily driver? I use that term loosely, because like I said probably 70% of my days will be on the Bibbys. Was that the only time you've been on them so far?

Quote Originally Posted by mtskibum16 View Post
    Do you suspect you'd be happy on them as a daily driver? I use that term loosely, because like I said probably 70% of my days will be on the Bibbys. Was that the only time you've been on them so far?
    Absolutely, But if it's the least bit soft I'll be on Kartel's. So same scenario I suppose. It feels like an absolutely versatile ski though. I am happy to have it as my "DD".
    Training for Alpental

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    Utah demos? Bueller?
    Working on it!
    You should have been here yesterday!

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    No, I had no trouble figuring them out. I think they're too stiff for the geometry... which makes sense since ON3P changed the core to the tour layup after this vintage. The long rockered tips didn't plane up in deep blower until 40 mph, which isnt always how i want to ski on a pow day. They'd be much better suited to denser snow or real big mountain lines, as is their advertised purpose.

I look forward to skiing them more, but they are too planky for general resort diddling.
    Exactly why we updated them. I loved that version of CD in some situations, but it was a LOT of ski for most days. The newer, thinner cored with extra carbon editions are so much easier to ski and don't sacrifice the ski feeling at all.

You can still have lots of fun on those, though so don't give up yet. They are still tops in the DEEP.
    You should have been here yesterday!

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Makes total sense. I was wondering if it was due to the stiffness of that gen.
    I had OG C&D's x-tra stiff(2 carbon stringers) and never found sfiffness to be a problem. I'm not small though. They slayed pow and were a lot of fun. Problem for me was the shape. I've found I don't really like pintails and coupled with tail rocker=no Bueno--grabby in front/washy in the rear. Skied 'em spring '11 in the Pipeline and knew that was my last day on 'em. They skied fine, just felt like I had to manage every turn. Sold 'em to a maggot. Also, I already had pow skis(PB's, proto & 2nd gen Mavens) that were more fun/versatile(I like fatties for spring slop)

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    I had OG C&D's x-tra stiff(2 carbon stringers) and never found sfiffness to be a problem. I'm not small though. They slayed pow and were a lot of fun. Problem for me was the shape. I've found I don't really like pintails and coupled with tail rocker=no Bueno--grabby in front/washy in the rear. Skied 'em spring '11 in the Pipeline and knew that was my last day on 'em. They skied fine, just felt like I had to manage every turn. Sold 'em to a maggot. Also, I already had pow skis(PB's, proto & 2nd gen Mavens) that were more fun/versatile(I like fatties for spring slop)
    I have the originals, too... lots of miles on those. Way different rocker and taper than the newer gens. Apples to oranges. Those oldies had the kick-up abrupt rocker with a more traditional tip, while the new have longer and more gentle rocker with a flatter tip.

Stiffness affects deep snow planing a bit more in the newer shape I think... and as Powtron notes, they've refined the flex to better match the shape of the CnD in recent gens. I'd sure like to try the asymmetric taper model.

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    I know its not a 2016-2017 model, but picked up a pair of Steeple 102s and I am stoked.
    Me too, been looking at these since the inceptshun and with a set of Rad 2.0 dfits enroute i needed a platform four them.
    watch out for snakes

I have the originals, too... lots of miles on those. Way different rocker and taper than the newer gens. Apples to oranges. Those oldies had the kick-up abrupt rocker with a more traditional tip, while the new have longer and more gentle rocker with a flatter tip.

Stiffness affects deep snow planing a bit more in the newer shape I think... and as Powtron notes, they've refined the flex to better match the shape of the CnD in recent gens. I'd sure like to try the asymmetric taper model.
    Agreed.
    Just keep those OG's pointed down the fall line!

189s arrived today. promptly mounted them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2371.JPG 
Views:	158 
Size:	393.6 KB 
ID:	194427

That is one sexxxxxy setup
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    189s arrived today. promptly mounted them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2371.JPG 
Views:	158 
Size:	393.6 KB 
ID:	194427
    To me the topsheet on your Billy's is without the undisputed best looking topsheet to date from the boyz...!

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    To me the topsheet on your Billy's is without the undisputed best looking topsheet to date from the boyz...!
    I don't know man, those Viciks with the wolf topsheets were some great ones IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    I don't know man, those Viciks with the wolf topsheets were some great ones IMO.
    You mean like these bad ass 161's with serial number 001?

My stepson graduated to some 102 Wrens this year and these are being handed down to my wife to fit between her Aura and her Armada VJJ's.

^^That's awesome. My moms is on some 161 Tychoons, but I kinda wish they were Viciks.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

I had some Viciks from 2014? That was such a good graphic. Regret selling that ski.

2016/2017 - ON3P SKIS Thread (Finally)

I just sold a pair of 2014 viciks, already regret it, best topsheet ever

Had viciks, wasn't a big fan of the graphics. I dig the mountain scene and wood grain wayyyyy more. That's jmho though.

Quote Originally Posted by aevergreene View Post
    I just sold a pair of 2014 viciks, already regret it, best topsheet ever
    I think you made a great choice

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    let's deviate from 16/17 for a quick minute and agree to disagree.

It's understandable that these weren't doing any favor for sales though.

and a happy medium

Crystal Mtn WA. I'll get on em again there when the bigger lines are shaping up. Its still early...
    Wait until a heavy march or April Pow day, or upside down snow. I also don't buy that you ever ski slower than 45mph!

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthop View Post
    let's deviate from 16/17 for a quick minute and agree to disagree.

It's understandable that these weren't doing any favor for sales though.

and a happy medium

The ones on the right are by far my favorite stock topsheets.

This graphic is rad too. I think this is my favorite On3p topsheet besides the wolf..

Its classy and edgy at the same time. The Lobster!

That one is sweet, forgot about it.

Wolf, 191 BG posted above and last years BG. Plus the Saint Michael graphic on Trevor's and my skis.