Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

minimum necessary expenditure for decent used outerwear

i have a lot of learning to do as always but i thought i'd throw this out there. among the many things i learned at bbi16 is i need different outerwear (and ordering contacts in time is as important as getting my fucking pass). i'm on a skeleton budget, so all my expenditures for anything are a low end previous year model closeout which is obviously limiting. i've never purchased used clothing but after being completely overdressed and unable to control my temperature (also in part because i was getting my ass kicked, in part because i was in pain) i have to do something.

i've been able to get away with bulk on lift-served hood which is where i am the vast majority of the time but it's 2000 feet higher and frequently windy and wet but even then my stuff is crap. i'm hoping the free the powder gloves (they're going to swap them for mittens for me thanks, guys! -- although, for touring will i be better off with gloves?) are going to be an evolution for gloves because right now i'm using a liner, a mitten frequently with a handwarmer and a shell. my hands get super cold fast and don't reheat well if i have to take my gloves off to adjust a binding or whatever. but it could be all that low end previous year model closeout stuff.

so the general question is, how much should one in my situation expect to spend on a used pant and jacket that will be functional for what i do now (lift served, mostly hood, occasionally bachelor, hopefully more in washington and other points north and east soon) and what i plan to do (mild introductory touring in the same areas) and is not going to fall apart after one season? i can only afford a one -- okay now 2 board! quiver -- and that's where i'm at with outerwear, too. i need one set that i can use pretty much anywhere with the general expectation that it will be in the pnw.

i'm not looking for handouts. i'd just like to be less stupid about how i allocate my limited funds and the amount of information about NEW gear is overwhelming much less trying to work backward from a position of more or less total ignorance. i obviously need to find splitboard bindings and boots but it felt obvious that i need more efficient outerwear to have little more range in much better protection and comfort.

thanks in advance for whatever constructive comments or hilarious burns!

Minimum $ just depends on what deals you can find. Invest in good shell wear for the PNW. It doesn't have to be gore Tex but it could be higher end house brands. Look at the face fabrics and pay attention to breathability.
    Besides gear swap, Sierra trading post is a fantastic resource. Couple their discounts with active junky you can often find stuff for close to 60-90 percent off.
    Good brands cost money for a reason. This doesn't mean that lesser priced brands don't have any standout pieces... It is just that these pieces can be hard to find. Pm me if you want any guidance with Sierra trading post etc.

Haha i was just going to write to follow whatever gear zeroforhire wants to buy
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by baby bear View Post
    Haha i was just going to write to follow whatever gear zeroforhire wants to buy
    Lol.

For lift riding I'm using some old pants I picked up here for $50 probably 7 or 8 years ago. Admittedly I try to keep my rain skiing to a minimum though...

The hard part with finding deals on good used clothing is having the patience and persistence to keep looking.

Don't know what size/budget you're looking for, but along the STP lines already suggested, here's an example of pretty good pants for $103 shipped after coupon and cashback.
    http://www.sierratradingpost.com/clo...r-men~p~9625d/

I paid $150 for two pairs of pants and a jacket from zeroforhire. Scholler made in Switzerland zippers on wrong side. Looked like it was never even worn. Been seeing allot of use and is working fine. Maybe not expedition quality but great everyday ski wear. Anyway figure out what size you need and buy it used here.
    off your knees Louie

OR has their sample sale in Seattle the first week of April (won't help you this season) and you can get brand new jackets and pants for $50 each. I (or some other Seattle mag) can probably hook you up if you can't make it.

Other than that, STP can get you some ridiculous deals. Geartrade.com often has some good deals.

Short answer $173. But why used? Although I've done it and wrote a trip report.

Good timing though. Shop geartrade.com and buy from the seller backcountry. It's backcountry.com returns and the prices keep dropping until sold. STP is good as said.

For your cold hands get any leather mittens, toss the liners and replace with rag wool. Slather the leather with SnoSeal. I still have these. Can't remember what I paid.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

There is some Trew gear in GS. I have some mountain hardware conduit bibs, black in size L I would let go for real cheap. Let me know if interested.

minimum necessary expenditure for decent used outerwear

Go to the Next Adventure basement on the regular -- all sorts of good stuff passes thru there but you have to go regularly to find it. Good stuff doesn't last long.

Also sign up for all the various online retailer mailing lists (get a separate gmail acct if you want to separate the sales spam)...summer is when you'll see a bunch of deals pop up

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    Short answer $173. But why used? Although I've done it and wrote a trip report.

Good timing though. Shop geartrade.com and buy from the seller backcountry. It's backcountry.com returns and the prices keep dropping until sold. STP is good as said.

For your cold hands get any leather mittens, toss the liners and replace with rag wool. Slather the leather with SnoSeal. I still have these. Can't remember what I paid.

that is an awesome pic

Thanks for all the responses. I'm plum tuckered out from processing bbi16 and I have to process all this in the a.m.

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    Scholler made in Switzerland zippers on wrong side.
    Have a jacket like this. Pisses me off everytime I wear it. Ha.

Many waterproof fabrics wear out after a certain number of days, which get smaller with abuse (bushwacking, etc). So I would buy something new (or "used" but effectively new) and stick with a known waterproof fabric (i.e., Gore Tex) for the PNW. That's what I've personally had the best luck with in terms of durability, and brand new stuff can be found pretty cheaply these days on STP, etc, particularly if you're not too picky about colors.

Also: buy something that fits!

Edit: The annual Mountain Equipment sale is a great way to find cheap hardgoods, esp if you're a men's L. Leavenworth Skier can give you more info on that.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Its the PNW. Nothing will keep you dry there.

Warm, dry, cheap....pick 2.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Why are you calling him Spook?

OP - contact SFOtex and see if you are the same size. That dude unloads mad gear at good prices. I met him for lunch once, too. Good dude. But yeah, especially out there a smart wool or some artificial fabric you might like base layer, insulated mid layer (I love down vests, and a goretex shell. Should be ready to rock. Last year on evo.com I picked up an OR $400 goretex shell for $100.
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

Quote Originally Posted by guroo270 View Post
    Why are you calling him Spook?
    Read the bbi16 thread. All your questions are answered.

In this place there's a regular supply of barely used high end goretex or equivalent jackets and pants ($500 retail) being sold for $150 or less. Check regularly, be patient, communicate with the sellers (almost always fair and informative) and you'll get what you need. The only way I know to get even better deals is to play the eBay auctions, but that takes more knowledge to manage the risks and significantly more time and experience to score, but $50 is realistic.

Although I am loath to recommend them for anything, try hitting up US Outdoors in the summer. Layway is your friend.
    Training for Alpental

You'd probably have to know what you're looking for, but REI used gear scales can be huge scores.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

What size(s) are you? I've got a bunch of stuff I'd rather get rid of for super cheap and have it actually get used than let it keep sitting in my closet.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

i'm 5'9" 195 heading back to 180 from 230. i'm usually stuck between L and XL because i'm squattyish with longer torso, shorter, thicker legs, wider shoulders, narrow waist when i'm not fat so i end up baggy to be comfortable with midlayer, base layer underneath. it's been a while since i tried anything on and the higher quality outerwear always seems to be cut narrow, long and tight for me. i probably need to go try stuff on again now that i've dropped so much weight. considering how hard it has been to get unfat this time at 50, i'm pretty sure that i can't get fat again or it will be the end of me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

It's been said before but I get tons of my stuff from sierra trading post. They have killer deals to begin with and you can almost always find a coupon for an extra 20-30% off in the STP deals thread. You're in luck too being size L-XL because being a closeout store they tend to have more stuff in really big and really small sizes (Mediums are shit out of luck). Last fall I picked up a pair of flylow magnum pants for like $80 on there so deals can be found for sure.

With $200 I could probably get you into some salesmen samples that would make you happy and keep you dry.