Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Utah Area Ski Advice

Yes I searched, but all the threads were old and I'm looking for current conditions.

Headed to SLC on Saturday for 10 days and need some advice on resorts to hit. I have an epic pass so I'll be spending at least 1-2 days at Park City. Probably going to check out Alta, Snowbird, maybe Solitude? Am I missing anything here? Any suggestions for where to ski at each spot? I'm going to bring my Avy gear out with me as well. Meeting up with a local that does backcountry trips out of Alta so I can get some suggestions from him too, but wanted to pick your brains.

Skill level: Fast skier, multiple trips to Silverton in a year, yadda yadda yadda, you know the spiel.

PM Rontele, he can get you discounts at Solitude.

Quote Originally Posted by HustleHard View Post
    Yes I searched, but all the threads were old and I'm looking for current conditions.

Headed to SLC on Saturday for 10 days and need some advice on resorts to hit. I have an epic pass so I'll be spending at least 1-2 days at Park City. Probably going to check out Alta, Snowbird, maybe Solitude? Am I missing anything here? Any suggestions for where to ski at each spot? I'm going to bring my Avy gear out with me as well. Meeting up with a local that does backcountry trips out of Alta so I can get some suggestions from him too, but wanted to pick your brains.

Skill level: Fast skier, multiple trips to Silverton in a year, yadda yadda yadda, you know the spiel.
    Sounds like you have it all covered.

these threads do a lot better over at epicski.com. People there love to play pretend travel agent.

Welcome. Enjoy the high pressure, the smoggy air, and bring a mask if you are staying in the valley.

If you are looking for current and near future conditions > http://www.wasatchsnowforecast.com/
    sharpen your skis and prepare for sun. also, fast doesn't mean good.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Yeah the I searched
    I suck at it and
    Give my special
    Snowflake Jong ass what I want
    Yada yada spiel
    gapic bear bro
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Thanks for the forecast site. Looks more useful then what I was finding.

And you're right about fast =/= good. I'm one of those kids with fat skis who just slides his turns. My poles are also 36 cm so they dont interfere with my xxxl hoodie. I like to either drag them behind me or hold them right in front of my crotch cause I'm always trying to pick up speed for the park.

Yeah the I searched
    I suck at it and
    Give my special
    Yada yada spiel
    gapic bear bro
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    Yeah the I searched
    I suck at it and
    Give my special
    Yada yada spiel
    gapic bear bro
    I actually did search and most stuff was from 2005-2008. I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm guessing the mountains and current snow conditions have probably changed since then. Not asking for everyone's secret stash, just honest opinions from people who have been there or live there.

Always been a fan of your fishing threads skifishbum. Keep up the stoke

Yes, the mountains have changed dramatically in the last 7-10 years due to extremely rapid erosion. LCC is mostly filled in with scree, High Boy is only 200 vertical feet now. The alluvial fans extending from from the mouths of the Cottonwoods have buried most of Sandy, Cottonwood Heights and Midvale too. You haven't heard about this on the news? Should have booked a trip to Jackson instead, bro.

Pretty much all the mountains have had great conditions this season...up until about 2 days ago. We're in high pressure now, and the mountains are warming up during the day and there is a bunch of shit in the air in the valley. Still plenty of fun skiing to be had, but its not gonna be resort pow skiing. If you're here for 10 days, consider a sunny day at Snowbasin.

solisunday! ....go ski with the mags.

Bring your fishin stuffs cause after 10 days of kickass bc pows I doubt I'm gonna be real stoked on 10 days of 40 @ 10k and showin a jong the green goods is always a possibility
    Egp is soli gaig Fantasy been open too
    If ya tour outta Alta the side of the sunsets ya don't see sure gets skied less

Big Cottonwood Canyon may not have the gnarballs cachet of LCC, but there's a bunch of good skiing there. So try both Solidt00d and B-righton.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Awesome, thanks guys. Much appreciated.

Skiing in Utah has been cancelled.
    Johnny's only sin was dispair

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    PM Rontele, he can get you discounts at Solitude.
    Seconded
    Decisions Decisions

Hot tip kid.... everything that's not wind jacked is skied out South Monitor through No Name Main Mac La Frontera Nutty Putty to the Movie lines. Superior done. Wolvie done. Cirque or Ivory gahead! Hot tip Leave the fat skis at home, rip the groomers on some super g's. Then, fuck Chimayo, Riverhorse, Grappa, Wha'so etc.. drop into Heber, "THE Cultural Center of The Universe" and treat yourself to a "Big Wil" burger at the Heber bowling alley. You're only young once. Personally If I had the cash I'd hang with Aurelien Ducroz in Cham and hit the Mallory color w/him and Fan Fan. Just sayin'.

The biking in Moab this week should be sweet.

There is a Wasatch thread for this stuff mang. But the surf in Encinitas looked a lot sweeter than the snow in UT right now. Least it's relatively stable.

Timing is everything. Pay attention to aspects. The snow will freeze hard overnight and what gets sun first and longest is where ya wanna ski resort wise.
    I imagine the bumps will get bigger. No snow expected anywhere in that 10day window, but its still better than anywhere on the east coast. So we got that going for us.

Snow today was really good (for non-pow). Carvable and fun.

Encinitas? Stonesteps? Moonlight? Grandview? Ha! Fukushima Jacked. Parasites. "Kevin Blanch" how bout lets go SUP Malibu or Sano with all the other kooks even Hanalei, middles, Waikoko. DONE. G land, Nias, Southern atolls Done. Costa Rica ? Ridiculous. Hang w/Holly in Nica, yeah right, behind your locked gated compound. NEXT place to destroy, as Joni Mitchel put it. "Pave Paridise Put up a Parking Lot"

Are you ak rovers kin???
    The meth induced imaginary radness and using 5 words when 1 would suffice