Hannibal 100 fail: repair, replace or attempt warranty?

Or maybe it's skier fail. Either way, I uncovered some rocks on a tour over the weekend and was frankly surprised at the damage incurred. The light weight of these skis is awesome on the up, but they don't put up much of a fight when things get granitic. This was my 5th tour on these guys so, of course, I'm bummed.

Just a few questions:

1) Am I crazy to think this is a bit too much damage and I would have any shot at a warranty? I think the only thing I would have going for me (considering I did in fact find some lurking death cookies) is the fairly superficial base scraping associated with this damage. For an event that would cause edge and sidewall to rip out, I would also expect to see significant amounts of material removed from the base. Another twist is I bought them brand new off a mag, so I'd have to figure out where he bought them and see what they would do (probably tell me to pound sand). Fischer doesn't make it easy to file a warranty claim with them directly.

2) How would you repair this and is it worth it? Cut out the base and edge to the extent of the damage and epoxy in new edge and base material? Is it even worth it considering you can see splitting of the wood core through the damaged area?

3) should I just replace them and if so, with what? I really liked the 180 Hannibal 100 and could buy again if I get over being a little gun shy after this issue. If I had to be picky, I found they weren't very stiff and had significant tip flap and while I don't think it actually made any difference, they always looked short. I found them for less than $400 in a 190 which would be interesting but I'm nervous about that length when it comes to skiing steep tight chutes in the spring. The mythic 97 has jumped to the top of the list recently. So has the bmt 94. Synapse 101 is still enticing but all honest reviews seem to say it's a bit twitchy. Either way, I'll have to wait around for a deal as I can't see spending north of $500 on a touring ski I'm going to beat to death and possibly have to replace after 5 uses...

4) would anyone be willing to buy these in their damaged state?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1455037121.530925.jpg 
Views:	348 
Size:	648.2 KB 
ID:	176471

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1455037133.572662.jpg 
Views:	327 
Size:	671.8 KB 
ID:	176472
    "Kids today, all they talk about is big air. I say, stay on the mountain, that's where the action is. If you want big air, pull my finger." ~Smooth Johnson~

Any lightweight ski is not going to hold up to rock abuse.

I totally agree. To be clear, I'm under no impression that these should hold up next to my old k2 backlash which ate beatings like this for breakfast and kept on going...It seems like I should have some big core shot to go with this edge-base-sidewall explosion, but maybe this is the reality of the world I'm skiing in...
    "Kids today, all they talk about is big air. I say, stay on the mountain, that's where the action is. If you want big air, pull my finger." ~Smooth Johnson~

Oh and 5) what if I just fill the damaged area with epoxy and ski it for the rest of the season? Some performance degradation, sure but would I have to worry about them blowing up in the middle of a week long tour? ... And what if I just do nothing? I assume water damage will eventually result in catastrophic failure?

Looks like a normal rock impact to me. You could have hit a reasonably smooth piece of rock that wasn't sharp enough to gouge or tear the base but the force of the impact was enough to cause that edge and sidewall damage. Zero chance of warranty, you hit a rock. Get it fixed, you have dedicated left and right skis now.

I did the same thing to mine. I'm 200 lbs and I skied pretty hard the day it happened so I attributed the damage to that.

I did fix mine, used clamps, the regular large size dremel, some good epoxy and some PTEX strips (not the gluegun style sticks). It has held together awesome, I'm blown away by how it came out.

Let me know if you want more details on how I fixed them, took a few hours with all of the epoxy but the skis are just too good for me to let go. I love how soft and light they are.

Yeah, sidewall/edge damage with minimal base damage isn't unusual. Highly doubt there's any warranty recourse. Tognar has a video on replacing sections of edge.

Patch it up, and make sure that edge is always on the outside.

i think you dinged them on a rock and are now presenting anecdotal evidence that you didn't really smack them hard enough to ding them that bad SO if someone will give you warranty thats nice but they don't owe you anything cuz you smacked the ski on a rock SO fix it as best you can and ski

edit:
    I think what I would try is rather than trying to replace a section of edge , pry/clamp/hammer that edge straight which would probably get the edge & lifted p-tex base laying flat, warm it all up really good, get some slow set epoxy in there and clamp , make that epoxied edge your outside edge at least on the down

so it brings up the question how hard is a hard hit ? same with folks snapping mtnbike derailliers?

there is really no way short of scientific destructive materials testing which nobody does
    Last edited by XXX-er; 02-09-2016 at 01:23 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Thanks all. Sounds reasonable. I performed a similar repair on my old EHPs so have most of the required tools. I dont have that base material patch guide. I guess I just did it by hand last time. Here's an optimistic view:
    I'll distract myself from the sunny, warm weather by performing some ski repair while I'm waiting for it to snow!

Ditto on my H100s 2 weeks ago. No edge compression, but a major delam. The bases and edges clearly saw their share of minor rocks. Was still surprised. Mine are from STP. Amazing steep skiing lightweight ski when you get over the tip flop. Not the most fun in powder or soft variable. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1455051540.310526.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	728.7 KB 
ID:	176500

Man, that's 3...What are you doing about it?

I would assume they're using the absolute minimum amount of glue to help keep the weight down.

It's pretty hard to complain about their performance (although the spoiled gear monger in the back of my head always tries). As you note, they're shockingly light weight with on snow feel more in the class of...pretty light wight.

Wondering how that mythic 97 might feel on the up and the down...

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Yeah, sidewall/edge damage with minimal base damage isn't unusual. Highly doubt there's any warranty recourse. Tognar has a video on replacing sections of edge.

Patch it up, and make sure that edge is always on the outside.
    Screws are highly unnecessary and a waste of time. Rubber foil/VDS tape is a better way to go(or even nothing).
    Sintered base patch material should be cut at the exact same time as the damaged base as to get a nice fitting patch.

enginerd-
    absolutely no need for that repair template, dont waste your time or money.
    I would try everything you can to save that edge as it will be stronger and there will less chance for moisture penetration.
    Your repair should be very similar to the one in the link that dschane provided.
    Good luck

If I ever make it to the brick and mortar, I will ask for warranty. Figure odds are low, but I really dont see any edge or sidewall compression, just scratches...

Enginerd, you should send this thread to fischer -- once they see that multiple people are experiencing the same thing, they should warranty it.

After seeing the SAME failure on three pairs, I would NEVER buy or recommend these Hannibals. Having a product known to fail is not a recipe for success, whatever the mode of failure may have been.

ugh. Edge compressions always happen underfoot.

Complaining about the rock impact resistance of a featherweight touring ski is like breaking a road bike while riding a DH jump line at Whistler and then trying to warranty the frame. If someone wants a ski with enough strength & durability to hold up to rock hits, buy a ski made for that. Can't have it both ways.

^^lol and I would agree. My incident was totally avoidable. For the record.

Quote Originally Posted by Asspen View Post
    ugh. Edge compressions always happen underfoot.
    This. You can clearly see the impact, perfectly placed by the cosmic stone geometry gods. Don't you know you need to float more in your mind?

Delete this warranty scam thread and buy some local made skis at retail as penance.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel