Thread: airbags work

They can work, but obviously nothing is 100%.

https://utahavalanchecenter.org/avalanches/26182
    RIP Doug.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Suncloud View Post
    Just because he deployed his bag doesn't mean anything. That was a steep runout without any abrupt transition, the debris field might not have been very deep. I'm not saying that's the case only that it's purely conjecture. As noted above, someone could just as easily make a thread that is titled, AIRBAGS DON'T WORK.

^^^ Yep.

Or Beacons work, shovels etc.

Best thread title would be.

Not being in avalanches is healthy....
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Your brain works better than an airbag, beacon, shovel or probe.

Actually what I would say is that airbags work in certain circumstances but that they're no guarantee of survival if caught in an avalanche because it all depends on terrain and objective hazard.

no one (except you guys) was implying that someone should check out just because they have an airbag

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C_P2Nd0xwY

no one (except you guys) was implying that someone should check out just because they have an airbag

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C_P2Nd0xwY
    Not sure what this means? I think all tools are good if you understand their use and limitations.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    Not sure what this means?
    i'll restate - are you suggesting that you ski with, or know, people who check out because they have an airbag?

i'll restate - are you suggesting that you ski with, or know, people who check out because they have an airbag?
    Engrish muthafucker.... speak it?

Check out? Like from their hotel room?
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Why did you delete the previous post where you said I was spewing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunion View Post
    Engrish muthafucker.... speak it?

Check out? Like from their hotel room?
    I've thought about this and I think he might be asking if we ski with people who stop paying attention when they wear an airbag? It's still not clear.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    Why did you delete the previous post where you said I was spewing?

I've thought about this and I think he might be asking if we ski with people who stop paying attention when they wear an airbag? It's still not clear.
    It is good a guess as any.

Tremper and others have already commented on this. I heard the same arguments made about Beacons and Avalungs, why should this be different.

According to latest The Avalanche Review, airbags reduce your odds of fatality by 11%. Also, they fail to deploy 20% of the time, with 60% of those failures due to user error.

Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    According to latest The Avalanche Review, airbags reduce your odds of fatality by 11%. Also, they fail to deploy 20% of the time, with 60% of those failures due to user error.
    How do you screw that up? Push the trigger instead of pull? Or just simply get in a panic and never actually pull it?

That would be interesting data to dig into. Since only a small % of slides actually kill how do they say a survival is due to an air bag vs dumb luck. Did this guy survive because of his bag? He found his skis right? If his skis "survived" it seems he would have as well had he not had a bag. Just thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by GPP33 View Post
    How do you screw that up? Push the trigger instead of pull? Or just simply get in a panic and never actually pull it?
    Just off the top of my head - don't have the handle out/ready to deploy. Get thrown into the washing machine and can't reach the handle. Bag/handle/cylinder assembled improperly. In addition to the possibilities that you mention...

Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    I think the stat is that for individuals who died from complete burials, the proper use of an airbag would have reduced the number of fatalities from 22% to 11%. So the message has been that half of the recorded avalanche deaths could have been avoided had the person worn an airbag and properly/effectively deployed it.

In other words, with no airbag, 78% survived. With a properly deployed airbag, the studies suggest that 89% would have survived.

And as everyone agrees, good decision-making, good choices, etc. are the best tools in the kit.
    Last edited by dschane; 02-11-2016 at 12:42 PM.

Until the airbags get significantly larger, they aren't going to be as effective as the marketing teams want you to think they are.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Until the airbags get significantly larger, they aren't going to be as effective as the marketing teams want you to think they are.
    I am waiting for the helium - "air lift" version...

That would be perfect, and to add a little levity to an otherwise serious situation, you would pop up at the bottom sounding like Alvin and the Chipmunks.

Quote Originally Posted by AlpenChronicHabitual View Post
    I am waiting for the helium - "air lift" version...
    Excellent idea. Then I could use it to help haul my ass up for that one last run.