Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Press Fit BBs

Losing threads is about cost, going bigger is about strength/weight ratio. Shoving the races up against the shell without threads does save a solid 8 grams, though, so. KOM bitches.

609 ain't difficult new or unknown; Klein was using it so long ago that Klein was still making bikes. (This whole thing might even be his fault.) Lots of shops use it, some even every time. The intrwrbz know:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=loctite+609+bottom+bracket

Amazon to toolbox to home mechanic winning in less time than it takes to finish a bike standards gripefest on TGR. (Only half as satisfying, though. You were warned.)

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    winning in less time than it takes to finish a bike standards gripefest on TGR. (Only half as satisfying, though. You were warned.)
    jono for the win...
    It's up...
    ITS GOOD!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    The real problem with press fit is that they suck balls for the home mechanic. With a threaded BB, I can use a $10 tool and install/remove in under a minute.
    Changing a press fit bottom bracket is not hard or expensive unless you are buying a top of the line praxis or similar. There are threaded options that cost more the $30 if you desire. I have seen plenty of dipshits mess up their threaded frames with that easy install and $10 tool.

For the record I don't think PF is a better option I just won't let bottom bracket interface be a deciding factor in my frame selection.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

As a home mechanic, I'm genuinely curious how I can easily and cheaply swap out press fit bottom brackets.
    However many are in a shit ton.

As a home mechanic, I'm genuinely curious how I can easily and cheaply swap out press fit bottom brackets.
    http://www.parktool.com/product/bott...ttom%20Bracket
    About $40
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

bb30 or bb92
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    Add to that, this tool so that you can remove all the non-BB30 style PF bearings:
    http://www.parktool.com/product/pres...ttom%20Bracket
    for an additional $40
    ...... though, since I have limited experience with bearing pressing/removal, I don't really know why they look totally different for doing what seems like the same thing.

Again, my lack of experience leaves me wondering if I'm going about this all wrong, but the product description suggests that this next tool would be necessary if you wanted to INSTALL as well as remove bottom brackets:http://www.parktool.com/product/bear...ttom%20Bracket
    ..... which will run you another $150 bucks or so.

Perhaps I'm looking at this all wrong. It's merely academic, given that all 4 bikes in my house are Knollys and all I need for them is this:
    http://www.parktool.com/product/bott...ttom%20Bracket
    .... which cost me $20 once and fits nicely into my tool chest.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Does removing a press-fit BB generally destroy it?

The one and only press-fit BB I've installed was with a Nashbar headset press. I've never removed one. Can you remove one by tapping it out from the opposing side, like removing a headset?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

That's the idea, the difficulty being that you press against the outer race to install and then it's difficult to get purchase on the outer race for removal, and tapping on the inner one probably does enough damage to the bearing to warrant replacement.

It's not impossible to remove a bearing by pulling on the outer race, but bearings are cheap so most people just bang them out and replace.

Lots of plans out there for $6 bearing presses; easy enough to assemble from a screw, a nut and some washers, really. Park is going to make some money off people that do these daily or just like that blue color, but there are a lot of ways to do it cheap, too.

Be a man. Drive them out with a wooden dowel and press em in with a hammer and a 2x4.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Anyone have any favorites for press fit BBs?

I picked the Race Face one because it had metal shells, and I thought it might hold up better without deforming. Had good reviews at that time too. Any better options for a Shimano crankset? Praxis and some other company had thread together BB shells for press fit, which were kind of expensive, but supposed to be stronger.
    Yes! The RF pf92's are the best bang for the buck IMO and i was toting the fact they had alu shells in a couple places a couple years ago when they came out so you probably saw a review of mine. The plastic Shimano ones are brutal.

On the ones for the 30mm BB spindles like on the RF Cinches, I have heard the bearings are way too small when incorporated with the 30mm spindle and having to fit in the shell. We'll see how long mine last as i have that set up this season, but the reg pf92 ones for 24mm spindles like on Shimano cranks have been long lasting and silent in my experience with no real prep, just banged them in.