Who doesn't like tail rocker?

I remember when rockered skis came out so many years back, I was so stoked to get on a pair...a touch of early rise in the tip can be great, I think. However, I've never really loved any ski with tail rocker..and that goes for pretty much any conditions.

Does anyone else feel the same way?

I loved my Line Influence 105s..but they're getting tired. I got the Supernatural 108s, and am constantly like "eh" whenever I get on them. Never feel quite as confident. Instead, I find myself skiing my old Influence 105s...or even my dynafit setup..the Kastle FX 104...which I absolutely love.

Same thing with a pair of 4frnt Renegades...I mean, yeah, they're pretty fun in soft snow...but I just don't get it.

I wonder, is this a result of skiing style/technique? I like having that nice flat tail. Maybe I just haven't gotten on the right ski with tail rocker. I just don't quite get why tail rock is a thing.

I don't like tail rocker. I'm on the fence with the sort of half-twin or whatever you call it in say Praxis Yeti, PMGear Bro, etc. I think I prefer basically a flat tail.

Yeah...I think a twin can be really nice..just loosens it up enough if you want to shut it down quickly...maybe some people just want it looser..hence tail rocker...who knows.

I only get one ski week a year and had been on some old Atomic ReX skis for maybe the past 10yrs. Tried some rockered demos the last trip and couldn't stand them. I think it is technique. I learned in late 70s and taught, raced and coached in the 80s. So, skinny skis and carved turns. Start with pressure on the tip and end with rocketing off the tail. I don't see how that is possible with rockered skis. I do think they would be fun in deep snow, but I imagine it has to be greater than 12" so I don't hit bottom.

FWIW - I finally found the Rossi Experience 100s; early rise tip, but still a great ski that would hook up on the carve. Skied those in 8-10" and still had a blast.

Depends on the conditions, and the rocker. Rocker opens up more possibilities in 3D snow, and can make the most of the worst (crust/crud) conditions.

Yeah, tail rocker loosens the ski up in soft snow.

I don't like tail rocker on firm snow. I do like a low tail kick to help smear the tail out when needed. So I have ON3P Wren 112, Praxis Freeride, and G3 Zenoxide 93 for that snow. I do like a relatively mellow tail rocker in soft snow though - I have Billy Goats, GPOs, and Protests for that. I don't like skis with drastic tail rocker.

Who doesn't like tail rocker?

Given the Renegade is reverse cambee, I'd call that a flat tail. Lay it over and you get full contact. Maybe you don't like the taper or the reverse? Very different from normal tail rockered skis.

I'm with Lindahl and Adrenalated...works for me in in soft, deep snow but have skis with flatter tails for firmer, no new snow in a while conditions.
    Also, the Influence 105 was a great ski. Kind of popped at the wrong time when everything else was uber-rocker.

Still lots of good flat-tailed equivalents out there. Go try the Q-Lab or the new Cochise.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

god I love tail rocker.

I have been skiing the resort on some High Society FRs which have tip rise but no tail rocker and yesterday because of soft variable snow I went back to my JJs. So much more fun on soft snow. The only time I don't want it is groomers that are hard, but that could be because the width.
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

LOVE tail rocker in soft snow - it really helps free the ski up, especially in tight spots, and makes it so much easier to throw them sideways. But I can certainly do without it when it's firmer out.

ill take the tail rocker depending on how much and what kind of ski construction. I was opposed to the concept when we first started to see it several years ago but after skiing them I love the versatility you get. Im convinced that you can get a tail rockered ski to hold on edge and provide some energy out of the turn but it sucks getting a flat square tail to release.

Gotta object a little regarding the Q Lab - it has a fair bit of tail relief that really makes that thing fun for such a beefcake. Cochise also mentioned which is much flatter and in my opinion not as fun in a variety of terrain, feels like a race ski with that driving tail. I get why some might prefer to be so locked in but gimme a lil shmear please.

I've got the original cochises. i detuned the shit outta them and still love them on firm days. you just gotta ski the middle of the ski. I think the slight tail rocker makes a ski more versatile in all conditions. I guess my opinion means nothing here, since this is a thread about who doesn't like tail rocker.

It's great for stopping on a dime or skiing very tight trees. With a rockered tail you can ride a longer (more stable) ski and not sacrifice maneuverability especially in deep and/or heavy snow and crud
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I suggest we do more airmchair QBing with no facts except as stated in the article.

I think speaking in these terms (rocker / no-rocker) is asking the wrong question. IMHO, the question should be: soft snow ski / hard snow ski. It's about as specific as you can get without becoming a self-proclaimed ski designer.

I get it that you might like a bit of tail rocker (or taper) in hard snow bumps.

[edit] I'm not talking twin tips - whole 'nuther beast with clear design goals and intended use.

Cheers,
    Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 02-06-2016 at 02:33 AM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

You mean like JJ or wailer 112 tail rocker? I'm over it cuz I don't end up with much effective edge and it gets in the way doing kick turns on the skin track but I do like lots of early rise, I liked the JJ & wailer 112 but I love the lotus 120!
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    You mean like JJ or wailer 112 tail rocker? I'm over it cuz I don't end up with much effective edge and it gets in the way doing kick turns on the skin track but I do like lots of early rise, I liked the JJ & wailer 112 but I love the lotus 120!
    This. I don't go backwards so no twin or trail rocker for me please. However, I like a nimble but long ski, so I'll take a heavy pintail thank you kindly.

One other aspect to this is skinning, I hate a tail rocker ski when skinning. Love them on the down in pow but not so great on steeper skin tracks.
    fighting gravity on a daily basis

WhiteRoom Skis
    Handcrafted in Northern Vermont
    www.whiteroomcustomskis.com