Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Tecnica ZeroG boot

Some useful information posted by wasatchback in another thread. I'll pull them up to consolidate information.

Not available in stores till fall 2016 but Tecnica made a test pair available for a fat Whistler snow year. I'll put up some pics in a bit with initial impressions.

1. 4 micro adjust buckles all cammed and closing with a satisfying kachunk. These will be familiar to Cochise boot owners. The lower 2 buckles can be removed with a Phillips so that is nice for weight weenies.

2. Big beefy looking power strap

3. Flat removable boot board to give you room and a neutral start point for custom fitting

4. Tall boot shell. No adjustable spoiler

5. Liner looks good. It's a Palau liner with room for laces and is light (sub 200g). I'll get it cooked to see how it tours. There's room for footbeds too

6. Feels stiff on carpet test. Not skied on them yet.

7. Feels amazing on walk mode. The best way to describe it is as (favourably) compared to La Sportiva's Spectre. Flip the walk/ski mode and suddenly you get an almost free walk mode. The walk mode travel is usable and not just theory

Oh yeah I like the yellow colour. It looks pimp.
    Last edited by LeeLau; 02-05-2016 at 01:22 PM.

A pair of 26.5 Zero G Guide Pros has been floating around at work. Weight per boot in 26.5 = 1508 grams. Flexes like a 120 boot in the store, with a legit overlap boot feel. Walk mode is very smooth, but with less rearward range of motion than what will probably be its primary competition (MTN Lab). The stated 99mm forefoot dimension is roomy enough that I could ski it with my 104mm foot for half a day, instep height is typical for Tecnica (generous), conforms to the ankle much more closely than the Cochise Pro Light.

What's the BSL for a given size?
    And those buckles are probable screwed in for servicing purposes, not for weight weeny purposes.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I slipped one on today. There are some pairs for sale in st anton.

Walk mode is awesome. Seems like the range is more usable than the mtn lab (compared one after the other). Maybe not as much back, but much more forward. It was good with the buckles locked down even, great with them flipped open.

Fit seemed good, but I'd have to ski to tell. I have a low instep, so maybe not the best for me. I didn't get same that locked in the pocket feeling like I get with the Mercury, or khion, but like I said, I'd have to ski it to make a judgement.

I'll have to double check what I tried, maybe not the PRO. The one I tried was kinda soft, especially compared to the mtn lab. I could torque the shell backward just standing in it. So if I tried the softer one, then avoid that one. Interested if the pro is stiff in the backseat.

What's the bsl for the 26.5 or a 27?

Quote Originally Posted by garuda View Post
    What's the bsl for the 26.5 or a 27?
    305mm

What's the BSL for a given size?
    And those buckles are probable screwed in for servicing purposes, not for weight weeny purposes.
    but you can bet the weight weenies will remove them. I have that last buckle so loose its basically useless

So yeah, the one I tried was the guide pro. Just trying to extend my leg fully I could see the boots deforming backwards. Wasn't too impressed.

Interested in what you guys skiing it have to say.

Ok here is a brain dump from wasatchback. Read it carefully. Some comments are also about the Cochise boot not the ZeroG

Quote Originally Posted by wasatchback View Post
    New Cochise/Zero G last is not necessarily narrower in the heal but it has a lot more anatomical shape in the heal and ankle. The biggest difference is the fit around the front of the ankle. The shell is much much closer to that part of the foot. This last is the most anatomical last on the market, alpine or backcountry. I think people will be amazed how well it fits a wide range of feet. If it needs to be modified it is just about the easiest boot to work on out there. Traditional overlap design with CAS boot board, liner, and shell makes it a breeze to punch, grind, etc.
    Zero G Guide Pro has a new Palau liner. Much better than one in pro light.

No more sole blocks. Just replaceable soles. Zero G models, Cochise 120 130 Women's Cochise Pro come with tech fittings in the lower shell not in a interchangeable sole block.

You can have tech with DIN, Rockered AT, or a new WTR type sole.
    Just wanted to post this photo. The final version will be about 1500g. The one Blister took a photo of was the first sample version. They worked to raeduce weight in a few areas to get them to 1500g (some will probably be below)

I think a lot of Mags will really dig these boots. Demo boots will be circulating the next few months. Fit is nothing like the present Cochise boots, or anything with a walk mode for that matter.

Attachment 175246
    We built some Proto 186 Bodacious with a Balsa/Flax core that saved about 250g per ski. They're out on people's feet right now. Not sure where that experiment is headed though. A wider Zero G has been discussed but not sure where it stands in the plans.

Purpose of the Zero G is to have a 1500g boot in a 130 flex that skis more like a traditional overlap boot. Swappable soles for people that might want to ski it alpine bindings but it's also nice if you wear out the rubber to only have to buy $30 replacement soles. They are the easiest to customize boots with a walk mode and have a standard boot board that can be ground.

The new ZeroG/Cochise last has more shape than anything we've ever made. It is very low volume but really comfortable at the same time. It needs to be tried on to really understand what I mean. It has room where you need it but is closer to the foot in the places that actually cradle your foot.
    Cochise is either PE or PU depending on the model. ZeroG is Triax. ZeroG also has a new Palau liner (better fit than the one in the Cochise Pro Light) whereas the Cochise comes with a more Traditonal alpine boot liner. New Cochise Liner is much lighter than the present one, it also was better and has a breathable upper.

Zero G also has a specific cuff that saves weight.

Guarantee the Salomon would have had swappable soles if they could have figured out a way to do it and have it weigh 1500g.

They're Tecnicas. They will always have a little more instep room. It's hard to compare it to present Cochise as the fit is so much more contoured but I would say instep height is similar.

Another aspect to these boots that was completely redone was the whole walk function. We tried to eliminate any play that would develop over time. When you have a cant adjustment piece there is a screw that could loosen over time, especially with the cuff moving so much. Designers felt that it was more important to have a rock solid cuff/lower connection than a cant adjustment piece. Since these have swappable soles you can use Cantology between the shell and the sole if you really need it. The cuff bolts and walk/ski switch were also completely redesigned. It requires some photos to properly explain. I'll take some at SIA where we'll have boots in pieces.
    Cochise and Zero G are the same 99mm last.

Difference is plastic and ROM. Cochise has a spine in the back of the boot giving the boots a bit more rebound but reducing the rearward ROM slightly.

Why would you instantly go Intuition?

New liner in the Zero G guide is an Ultralon liner made by Tecnica but it has a traditional ski boot tongue. In my experience with the tongue Intuition liners this will blow the doors of Intuition version when it comes to fit.

There is no 110 Cochise

130 Zero G Guide Pro and Cochise
    120 Cochise
    110 Zero G Guide
    100 Cochise (no tech fittings)
    90 Cochise

Official Dynafit fittings (little red "clippie").

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by JRainey View Post
    So yeah, the one I tried was the guide pro. Just trying to extend my leg fully I could see the boots deforming backwards. Wasn't too impressed.
    I'm curious why you're testing the flex of a boot by flexing it backwards?

Nice to see constant evolution from Tecnica. I'm curious how they flex (a quality that's impossible to interpret from reviews), but high instep overlaps are never going to work for my low and lean feet. Likewise ROM comparisons are frustratingly subjective, but I can't imagine they're going to be in the same class as Mercury/TLT/Backland type boots for long slogs.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Maybe just flexing up and down and felt it flex back?

So 315 27.5 instead of that other weirdness going on with the other part of the line?
    Not that a 310mm long 100mm might not actually fit great. Makes the cuff to low for me though.
    No longer stuck.

Maybe just flexing up and down and felt it flex back?

So 315 27.5 instead of that other weirdness going on with the other part of the line?
    Not that a 310mm long 100mm might not actually fit great. Makes the cuff to low for me though.
    I honestly think the "weird" BSL of the Cochise was overplayed. The longer BSL for a given size was really down to the removable sole blocks. I think the internal space was not that different.

I think those that sized down could do so in other boots too.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Cuz that's what happens when you get kicked in the backseat. The forward flex felt nice and cushy, but how it feels carpet testing doesn't mean much. With rearward flex, generally, if you can get it to flex backward in the shop without it connected to a ski tail, then it's gonna bend when you get in the backseat. But I'm interested in what the skiers have to say as a little backward flex doesn't mean it's unsupportive.

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    Nice to see constant evolution from Tecnica. I'm curious how they flex (a quality that's impossible to interpret from reviews), but high instep overlaps are never going to work for my low and lean feet. Likewise ROM comparisons are frustratingly subjective, but I can't imagine they're going to be in the same class as Mercury/TLT/Backland type boots for long slogs.
    WAY better than the mercury with a wrap liner. I thought it was really impressive. Lee hit the nail with the Spectre comparison. I think the liner has a lot of articulation though.

Stew what Jrainey said about the touring walk. The liner kinda feels like a Protour. Then when you go from ski to walk its a binary change ie from stiff to free pivot. Remarkable especially when you compare to boots like Cochise Khion Titan etc where there might be theoretical ROM but the real world walk mode just isn't all it should be.

Anyhow I don't expect it to tour like a Vulcan sans tongue or a F1 Evo or TLT 5 but will reserve judgment till I get out on it

Quote Originally Posted by JRainey View Post
    I slipped one on today. There are some pairs for sale in st anton.
    Where exactly? I'm not in Anton but if they have any in 25 I could be tempted to pay a visit.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    I honestly think the "weird" BSL of the Cochise was overplayed. The longer BSL for a given size was really down to the removable sole blocks. I think the internal space was not that different.

I think those that sized down could do so in other boots too.
    Not my experience with shell fit.
    No longer stuck.

Not my experience with shell fit.
    I ski a 26 boot, went down to a 25 Cochise with intuition molded with toe caps. Sold em, bought the 26. 25 Cochise shell, measures....well like a 25 shell, even with the bigger bsl.

Quote Originally Posted by smooth operator View Post
    Where exactly? I'm not in Anton but if they have any in 25 I could be tempted to pay a visit.
    Jennewein, on Galzig and in town. They said they dropped them off yesterday.

I'd like to tour on this next to a (reworked) Keion, Mastrale RS, and Salomon MTN lab. I had the 26 on my foot, and it is a great out of the box fit. Perhaps better than the mach 1 MV in contouring around the lower leg, ankle, heel and mid foot. I have a giant instep that requires I grind the boot board of a Cochise, and while the ZeroG would still require some work I could see myself skiing half a day with out mods. It defiantly feels tighter across the mid foot than most of the '100 mm' boots out there right now.

Flex is very smooth, progressive and characteristic of an overlap feel. I would peg it as right around the same forward stiffness as a MTN Lab. I don't know if it is stiff enough to be my 'one boot.' It does feel nice and light on your foot though.Maybe if I swaped the liner for a power wrap similar to the one in the Dalbello Lupo when skiing in the resort and side country.

I dont know who this guy is, but found this youtube "review." He speaks very highly of the skiability, power, and touring but pretty poorly of the liner and fit. Take it for what its worth...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF5uNE2lgiA

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    I ski a 26 boot, went down to a 25 Cochise with intuition molded with toe caps. Sold em, bought the 26. 25 Cochise shell, measures....well like a 25 shell, even with the bigger bsl.
    Agreed, they are big but big up and down not really like there is extra length.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox510 View Post
    I dont know who this guy is, but found this youtube "review." He speaks very highly of the skiability, power, and touring but pretty poorly of the liner and fit. Take it for what its worth...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF5uNE2lgiA
    This is the same weirdo that has made selfie videos at the SIA on snow for the last 5 years. He is just taking demo boots out on the hill.

They're thermoform liners that need to be molded in order to fit correctly. They're very lightweight liners from Palau designed for lightweight touring boots. Weight and flexibility when skinning are higher in priority. If you want ski boot liners that is what the Cochise boots are for.

Tecnica ZeroG boot

This is the same weirdo that has made selfie videos at the SIA on snow for the last 5 years. He is just taking demo boots out on the hill.

They're thermoform liners that need to be molded in order to fit correctly. They're very lightweight liners from Palau designed for lightweight touring boots. Weight and flexibility when skinning are higher in priority. If you want ski boot liners that is what the Cochise boots are for.
    I don't know this dude at all, but cut him some slack, he's pretty clear that the boots ski and walk exceptionally well, and it's not exactly controversial to observe that Tecnicas are a high volume fit, nor that Palau liners don't match up to the standard set by Intuitions.