Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tjb View Post
    Anyone skied the green Zero G (not the Pro yellow version) ? How do they ski ? is it 110 flex or somewhat softer ?
    110. I actually thought it felt even a little stiffer.

Tecnica ZeroG boot

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    Anyone tried the ZeroG with the DIN soles in alpine bindings? My friend has a pair of ZeroG Guide Pros that his bootfitter had to blow out the big toe area on the shells a bunch. When the boot is in the Guardians the toes do not sit square against the wings of the toepiece resulting in a toed-in stance (opposite of duck stance) by a few degrees. He says boots seem to release fine but obviously concerned about impact on skiing performance.

Anyone encountered this? He's going back to have them look at it again.
    I would like to see this guy's foot. They have a lot more room for your big toe specifically than any boot out there and he needed them blown out even more? The sole is not warped it's just that the toe punch is so big it's pushing against the wings of the bindings and pushing them out of alignment. They would definitely ski weird.
    Last edited by wasatchback; 12-02-2016 at 10:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wasatchback View Post
    I would like to see this guy's foot.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Hey wasatchback, question for ya. My LSS and I were examining my 27 ZeroG Guide Pro and comparing it to a 27.5. Shells both say 315mm, boot boards look identical, liners appear to be identical... are we missing something? So far as we can tell, they are the same boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastdan View Post
    Hey wasatchback, question for ya. My LSS and I were examining my 27 ZeroG Guide Pro and comparing it to a 27.5. Shells both say 315mm, boot boards look identical, liners appear to be identical... are we missing something? So far as we can tell, they are the same boot!
    You have stumbled on to the darkest secret of boot manufacturing. Your life is in danger.

This is the case with just about every boot on the market. A single boot mold is *really* expensive and doing actual half sizes is a sure way to lose money.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    This is the case with just about every boot on the market. A single boot mold is *really* expensive and doing actual half sizes is a sure way to lose money.
    WTF, this is bullshit, what a scam.........

Where did you even get a size 27? We didn't even bring any into the US in size 27. We don't sell any boots on the whole size in any model except rental boots. For a reason

What I want to know is how is your LSS so useless that they didn't already know this?

Now that you all know this, maybe it's time for everyone to do like Atomic and make the labels say "27/27.5" . . .

Where did you even get a size 27? We didn't even bring any into the US in size 27. We don't sell any boots on the whole size in any model except rental boots. For a reason
    The shop and I both knew there isn't much if anything separating half sizes in boots. Many manufacturers still do different liners or boot boards though. I'm in Canada, dont know if that makes a difference in half size availability but can confirm they have them.

No manufacturer even does a different liner. It's literally the thickness of the stock footbed. Has been forever!

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    What I want to know is how is your LSS so useless that they didn't already know this?
    ^^^ This. Not a confidence inspiring shop.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

No manufacturer even does a different liner. It's literally the thickness of the stock footbed. Has been forever!
    We even compared footbeds! Looked the same to us.

The only thing that is/was surprising is that anyone is making half sizes at all anymore. Just thought I would take the opportunity to quiz someone with an inside scoop.

I could swear I was looking at boots that had half size different liners but come to think of it that mighthave been several years ago now.

We even compared footbeds! Looked the same to us.
    They usually are. Some manufacturers throw in an extra fiber shim to reduce volume as an option, that's about it these days.

I just bought a pair of 25.5 from BC. I had a hard time finding them, so I bought the first pair I could find. They are a one finger fit for sure and especially tight on the toes with the stock liner. I am wondering if i am going to be able to punch the toes in the front and at my 6th toe enough to make them work comfortably, or if I should bite the bullet and go up a size. For reference, my DH boot is 15/16 Mach 1 MV in size 25.5 with Zipfit WC liners. They were about the same shell fit when I started. After some punching, skiing and a couple of more trips to the bootfitter these are the best fitting and skiing boots I have EVER owned. They are much easier to get on and off than my old Langes and I have no problem skiing in them for multiple days in a row which I had a hard time doing before. If I could get close to that same fit and still be able to ski, tour and sled in them for multiple days in a row I'm happy to do what ever work it takes, I'm just not sure I can make as much room in these as I did with my Mach 1's. any advice?

Quote Originally Posted by The Angry Hornet View Post
    I just bought a pair of 25.5 from BC. I had a hard time finding them, so I bought the first pair I could find. They are a one finger fit for sure and especially tight on the toes with the stock liner. I am wondering if i am going to be able to punch the toes in the front and at my 6th toe enough to make them work comfortably, or if I should bite the bullet and go up a size. For reference, my DH boot is 15/16 Mach 1 MV in size 25.5 with Zipfit WC liners. They were about the same shell fit when I started. After some punching, skiing and a couple of more trips to the bootfitter these are the best fitting and skiing boots I have EVER owned. They are much easier to get on and off than my old Langes and I have no problem skiing in them for multiple days in a row which I had a hard time doing before. If I could get close to that same fit and still be able to ski, tour and sled in them for multiple days in a row I'm happy to do what ever work it takes, I'm just not sure I can make as much room in these as I did with my Mach 1's. any advice?
    I punched my toebox wide out about 5mm. I guess I got about 2 - 3 mm on the liner by an aggressive cook with toe caps. But no matter how you cut it you're going to be tight. 1 finger shell fit is a poor fit - sorry for the reality check. If you don't mind suffering on the skin track then there you go. The heel hold on the ZeroG is so good it MIGHT be worth it to try but this is just my input

I'm in the same size in both the Mach 1 LV and Zero G Guide Pro - a snug 1 finger (14mm) fit. I've punched them both extensively at the first and fifth met heads as well as the medial midfoot, though not for length. You need to be careful when punching near the bi-injection seam line on the Zero G as it splits easily - go easy and watch carefully; if the seam starts to split back off immediately (it's about 8mm wide and as long as you don't rupture the inner seal it will not leak). Major punches on a Zero G shell take a little more skill than the Mach 1, but you can increase width a lot. Haven't done a toe length punch on one yet.

I wouldn't tour on a one finger fit, unless ever other dimension was so loose I couldn't getaway with a bigger size.

Had just under a one finger fit in last year's Pro 130, length was generally tolerable with tight buckles (getting backseat smashed toes) but no beuno for touring. Upsized for 2017.

What do most people do for finger fit when touring out of curiosity, esp. those who only use a quiver of one?

1.5 to 2 fingers is pretty standard for shell fit for touring boots. For a quiver of one, I'd go towards the small end of that range.

Yes, a one finger shell fit can work for touring. Some people's feet can tolerate more compression than others, so that may play a factor.

I like the heel hold of a smaller shell fit. I guess larger might be more comfy, but I get bad blisters. My Vulcans were like 5 mm shell fit in length. I never really punched for length, but for width basically from the styloid process to the fourth toe, as well as the big toe and navicular. They fit like a glove and I don't get heel lift. YMMV, but I can tour all day just fine.

One trick I like is to get a very low volume liner (Intuition PW plug or lower volume) and have them molded before any punching (or mold in your alpine boots). That way the liner will be more compressed than if they were molded to the punched shell, which cuts down on the amount of break-in required while touring. Nobody likes to call it a day early while breaking in their new boots.
    Last edited by auvgeek; 12-08-2016 at 12:22 PM.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

15mm or the thickness of the bottom of a jiffy marker
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0915.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	194597

Current set up- 130/shorter buckles on lower shell/Intuition liner/stiffer power strap

Primary side country boot - so good!