Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PNB View Post
    Could you please spend a few words about the support backwards, keyword "backseat".
    mh, I had no issue with this. Actually I'm not really sure what the issue would even be, exactly? I like the amount of forward lean angle, it is fine for my style of skiing and not super upright. If you lean back into the back of the boot, then you end up in the backseat (as with any boot?) but the boot wont give way or anything. I'm not sure I understood what you meant. Clarify if this is not the answer you were looking for?
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

If I "suddenly" find myself in the backseat and I try to regain a centered or forward stance, I shall push against the rear side of the boot´s shaft.
    If this is too soft and provides too little support, this would be harder - or at least I guess so.

Edit:
    "against", not "again".
    Last edited by PNB; 10-21-2016 at 05:20 AM.

IMO the rear of the shaft is not too soft and not softer or less supportive than that of other touring boots. I very much doubt you would be able to somehow noticeably flex the boot backwards by trying to get out of the backseat. There is some minimal movement in the forewards-backwards direction because of the walk mode, which in my experience is the case for all boots that have a walk mode. The Zero G is not better or worse in this regard than other touring boots I have seen.
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

Sounds good, thanks!

I'm not sure this is relevant or too much of a thread drift but I just got my Cochise 130. I thought I would post some weights since it seems to be a zeroG vs Cochise discussion.

Size 28.5

Name:  ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1477142981.194284.jpg
Views: 1142
Size:  342.7 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1477142993.467807.jpg
Views: 1166
Size:  323.1 KB

Also in regards to the Achilles pain referenced earlier from the lower shell, there is even a line on the mold of where to cut if you want to remove. Personally just from carpet testing I don't have any pain in rearward motion and my toes get cramped before my Achilles gets pinched when extending back.

Quote Originally Posted by matt View Post
    I'm not sure this is relevant or too much of a thread drift but I just got my Cochise 130. I thought I would post some weights since it seems to be a zeroG vs Cochise discussion.
    So the entire boot weighs 2363 grams? You sure you didn't leave your footbed in the liner?

Tecnica ZeroG boot

Cochise 130 weighs more than Cochise 120.

Cochise 130 is full PE, upper and lower. Cochise 120 is PU lower with Triax cuff. 120 is generally 150-200 grams lighter I think (can't remember for sure)

But yeah for some reason that seems heavy for the liner but maybe not, it is a 28

Tecnica ZeroG boot

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    So the entire boot weighs 2363 grams? You sure you didn't leave your footbed in the liner?
    That was stock liner with stock foot bed in it. Straight from box. Shell had Zeppa in it.

Liner only: 510g
    Rear spoiler on liner: 18g
    Stock footbed: 33 g
    Shell: 1,640 g
    Zeppa: 63 g

My last year's Cochise 130 (Gr. 27) is just above 2kg on the bathroom scale with alpine blocks and off the shelf Boot Doctor footbed replacing the original one.
    Also the plastic sole inside the shell, underneath the liner, is in place.
    Touring blocks for pin bindings are heavier, but maybe 100g / Shoe.

And they do advertise the new Cochise to be lighter?!

Quote Originally Posted by klar View Post
    I very much doubt you would be able to somehow noticeably flex the boot backwards by trying to get out of the backseat.
    I disagree in general. I think it's a very reasonable question to ask of these higher-end touring boots, especially if one is evaluating their suitability for skiing inbounds (i.e., "freeriding," as you Euros call it ).

Though the conditions and remoteness in the backcountry are such that I rarely ski in a way that it's a serious issue for my touring boots, being able to lever against the spine of the boot during a backseat landing (esp one with a backslap) on hard snow at higher speed can be extremely important to one's continued health. I can tell a difference in the rear flex in the Lange ZB plug and the Dalbello 130—two 130-140 flex race boots. The Vulcan is nowhere close. That's not a deal breaker in the backcountry, but I wouldn't choose to ski it inbounds.

I'm not saying most backcountry skiers can tell a difference; just that a difference exists, can definitely be felt, and is a reasonable criteria to examine when evaluating the performance of a new boot, especially if you're trying to use it as your only boot.

Unfortunately, I haven't skied the ZG or the Cochise, so I have nothing useful to offer.
    Last edited by auvgeek; 11-29-2016 at 02:27 PM.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by wasatchback View Post
    Cochise 130 is full PE, upper and lower. Cochise 120 is PU lower with Triax cuff.
    Is the hard PE lower where the extra stiffness comes from in the 130? The springy PU lower in the 120 has more flex when the stiff PE cuff drives into it?

Quote Originally Posted by matt View Post
    That was stock liner with stock foot bed in it. Straight from box. Shell had Zeppa in it.

Liner only: 510g
    Rear spoiler on liner: 18g
    Stock footbed: 33 g
    Shell: 1,640 g
    Zeppa: 63 g
    Seems heavy. I have a 25.5 Cochise 130 in front of me, weight is 1982 with everything you describe in it.

My 25 is also in that ballpark

@ Wasatchback:
    My bootfitter told me their delivery of the zeroG's was delayed due to some changes in the production. Since I am skiing last years (pre-prod?) model, I was curious if you know of any of these changes and could shed some light?

Yeah, I just ordered some guides on my shop card, backordered till the beginning of December.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Just some tweaks to the quick instep area, changing where the injection ports for the cuff were, different springs in the ski/walk feature, and the rear of the lower is about 5mm higher than pre production.

Some shops have their pre season orders now, most don't. Rest of the preseason orders should be landing in the US this week. We already sold through what we originally ordered for the US. Italy did a second production run and those are coming in beginning of December.

Quote Originally Posted by wasatchback View Post
    Just some tweaks to the quick instep area, changing where the injection ports for the cuff were, different springs in the ski/walk feature, and the rear of the lower is about 5mm higher than pre production.
    Are the changes worth waiting for or seeking out in your opinion ? Mainly in the ski/walk feature ....

Tecnica ZeroG boot

These are the changes between the pre production last spring and what was shipped to stores this fall. Every boot sold at retail has these updates
    Last edited by wasatchback; 11-08-2016 at 09:53 PM.

Anyone tried the ZeroG with the DIN soles in alpine bindings? My friend has a pair of ZeroG Guide Pros that his bootfitter had to blow out the big toe area on the shells a bunch. When the boot is in the Guardians the toes do not sit square against the wings of the toepiece resulting in a toed-in stance (opposite of duck stance) by a few degrees. He says boots seem to release fine but obviously concerned about impact on skiing performance.

Anyone encountered this? He's going back to have them look at it again.

Blowing out the toe area in any boot runs the possibility of warping the sole - if the boot needs a lot of work (heat).

Warp in a plane that produces a pigeon toed stance seems extremely unlikely however. I'm having difficulty visualizing a boot clicking into a binding and resulting in such (an assumed) skewed alignment.

The puzzling part is that a frame binding has "built in" heel to toe alignment, so a known good boot is aligned when clicked in. IOW a frame binding is "immune," to this kind of mounting error.

Has he clicked into this mount with other boots?

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 12-01-2016 at 09:16 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Anyone skied the green Zero G (not the Pro yellow version) ? How do they ski ? is it 110 flex or somewhat softer ?

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Blowing out the toe area in any boot runs the possibility of warping the sole - if the boot needs a lot of work (heat).

Warp in a plane that produces a pigeon toed stance seems extremely unlikely however. I'm having difficulty visualizing a boot clicking into a binding and resulting in such (an assumed) skewed alignment.

The puzzling part is that the "built in" heel to toe alignment of a frame binding would yield a known good boot that is aligned when clicked in. IOW it's "immune," to this kind of mounting error.

Has he clicked into this mount with other boots?

... Thom
    It's an old mount which was fine with old boots. I need to go see it in person if he hasn't sorted it out by now, as I had the same thought as you. He did send me some pics, one boot fine the other not. This is with DIN blocks:

Name:  ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1480630096.550706.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  305.3 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1480630111.507525.jpg
Views: 673
Size:  320.4 KB

Anyone know where I can find a pair of 26.5? I've been waiting on my local shop for 3 weeks
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Just tried on a pair of 26.5 at Cole Sport in Park City today. I didn't buy them so I imagine they are still there.

Didn't somebody say the 0G Guide Pro is about as stiff as a Cochise 120? Seems like putting ProTours in the 120 would get the weight down pretty close to a 0G Guide Pro, since the both cuffs are Triax but the PU 120 lower is PU, which might actually ski better and be worth the bit of extra weight.