Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebornstein View Post
    May be a dumb question, but can you use the alpine heel with kingpins?
    Haven't tried it yet, as my alpine soles are still in the package, but I think I will do as XavierD suggests and put both the toe and heel on for the demo/travel season. I'll let you know, there will be plenty of Kingpin demo bindings at the Volkl/K2/Blizzard tents.

I have been with no issues... just 4 early AM resort skins but no issues to report.

I've been using the new Cochise 130s with DIN soles and kingpins without issue.

Thanks for the input.

I tried the zero g guide pro, light green, and it is a little loose in the heel.

The lange 130 freertour is really hard to get on, and I'm worried about putting them on after a cold night in a tent.
    They fit well though.

Which would be easier to deal with, loose heel pocket or hard to put on?

In the shop, the zero g seemed adequately stiff, forward, similar to my bd mx factor. Are they also stiff laterally?

Thanks for the help.

The Guide Pro liners NEED to be molded to fit correctly. Not 100% sure it would snug up your heal or not but the heal pocket of those boots is not overly large. They are very stiff laterally.

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    I tried the zero g guide pro, light green, and it is a little loose in the heel.

The lange 130 freertour is really hard to get on, and I'm worried about putting them on after a cold night in a tent.
    They fit well though.

Which would be easier to deal with, loose heel pocket or hard to put on?

In the shop, the zero g seemed adequately stiff, forward, similar to my bd mx factor. Are they also stiff laterally?

Thanks for the help.
    Similar question (I believe) in the Lange XT 130 Freetour thread. I'd add the Lupo TI ID to your short list - both versions (I only tried on the carbon).

All three are great boots, and I had a tough time choosing between them.

The Langes are easier to slip into than my OG Titans, but I don't think I'd want to slip into them in a tent.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

FWIW, I can't even get my foot out of my 0GGP's without the liner coming out with my foot. It's just another step to deal with when taking the boots off.

Quote Originally Posted by rludes025 View Post
    First report. They skin very well, totally a different class than my old Cochise. Excellent forward movement for a "bigger" boot. The achilles pinch was not an issue for as i never noticed it in use.

I was pretty surprised how soft they skied. This is probably because almost all my alpine days this season have been at 0 degrees or below. 130 flex boots get real stiff in the cold.... plus the snow was firm so feedback was definitely on the higher end of the spectrum no matter the boot. Great feeling flex but I wish it was a little more supportive. I will add my boosters as a first step then will try my intuitions if needed.
    Ok, I have installed boosters and my Intuition FX Race liners. WOW what a difference. The stock liner is super comfy no doubt but I had know Idea a non wrap liner could change the flex of a boot so drastically. I'll be be frank this is no 130 flex alpine boot but it had no problem driving my Cochise's on week old chopped up snow. If I had to give it a flex rating with how I have it set up I would say about 120 foward flex and more like a 100-110 flex backwards in shell support.

I still stand by my initial fit reports. One thing to note is I increased my fifth met punch (sixth toe) slightly and did notice a slight gap in the shell seam others have mentioned. Overall very happy with the boot.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Ok, I have installed boosters and my Intuition FX Race liners. WOW what a difference. The stock liner is super comfy no doubt but I had know Idea a non wrap liner could change the flex of a boot so drastically. I'll be be frank this is no 130 flex alpine boot but it had no problem driving my Cochise's on week old chopped up snow. If I had to give it a flex rating with how I have it set up I would say about 120 foward flex and more like a 100-110 flex backwards in shell support.

I still stand by my initial fit reports. One thing to note is I increased my fifth met punch (sixth toe) slightly and did notice a slight gap in the shell seam others have mentioned. Overall very happy with the boot.
    How much do you think is booster and how much liner? Does the FX Race limit the rearward ROM vs stock?

Pulling the trigger on the guides today. Anyone mold the ultralon liners in the oven? Thinking 220f for 8 mins.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    How much do you think is booster and how much liner? Does the FX Race limit the rearward ROM vs stock?
    I think the liner made a slightly bigger difference, but both were noticeable. I skied one day with just the booster and found the stock liner to be too cushy. I think Im just used to my foot not moving that much in snug intuitions. The stock ultralon liner is crazy comfy though, so if thats your thing it might be worth it. I also think that a running booster makes me tighten my boots more which intern makes them ski a bit stiffer.

I ordered a pair of din blocks about 3 weeks ago and they randomly showed up yesterday. I had pretty much written them off. Personally I think I still need my alpine boot for certain inbounds days and certain skis but the timing is perfect to test out 17/18 skis next week at Big Sky. I'll see if I can find something burly to push them hard with.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

I think the liner made a slightly bigger difference, but both were noticeable. I skied one day with just the booster and found the stock liner to be too cushy. I think Im just used to my foot not moving that much in snug intuitions. The stock ultralon liner is crazy comfy though, so if thats your thing it might be worth it. I also think that a running booster makes me tighten my boots more which intern makes them ski a bit stiffer.

I ordered a pair of din blocks about 3 weeks ago and they randomly showed up yesterday. I had pretty much written them off. Personally I think I still need my alpine boot for certain inbounds days and certain skis but the timing is perfect to test out 17/18 skis next week at Big Sky. I'll see if I can find something burly to push them hard with.
    Any comment on the ROM?

Any comment on the ROM?
    Undetectable to me. The ROM is still noticeably better than the old Cochise. The hard or firm part of the Race liner is in the upper cuff so its softer where it needs to be. That being said I think a Pro Tour liner would probably tour better but ski worse.

Formerly Rludes025

Undetectable to me. The ROM is still noticeably better than the old Cochise. The hard or firm part of the Race liner is in the upper cuff so its softer where it needs to be. That being said I think a Pro Tour liner would probably tour better but ski worse.
    Thanks, will try the stock and keep this in mind.

Thanks, will try the stock and keep this in mind.
    I just bruised my foot so I am going back to stock liners for a bit for some comfort. Not to back track here but As long a I crank the cuff buckles it feels pretty similar to the intuition.

Anyone else's boots not going into Ski mode on cold-ish days? Happened to one of my brother's Cochise, both of my Zero G Pro and both of my friends Zero G Pro as well.

Tecnica ZeroG boot

Appears to be highly susceptible to snow packing into the walk mode and preventing it from locking. Easier for it to happen with cold fine grained snow. Pour water on it (or pee on it). Pain in the ass. Been like this since the very first model. With the walk mode redesign I thought they would have fixed it. Not yet
    Last edited by Lindahl; 02-27-2017 at 06:19 PM.

So I've had every version of the Cochise boots and haven't had this problem yet - ever - but of course I'm mostly in Tahoe so maybe it's not as cold with as fine of snow grains. Do you guys pull your pant gaiters down over your boots to try to cover up the rear mechanism? And I mean when hiking / touring and not just descending.

I ended up putting a foam liner in my zero G pros to take up space, and this is a great improvement for my skinny ankles and calves. Also, what really makes a big difference in ski performance is pulling the velcro strap tight over the liner and not over the cuff in front. This way you engage the boot earlier, and it increases responsiveness I find.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Appears to be highly susceptible to snow packing into the walk mode and preventing it from locking. Easier for it to happen with cold fine grained snow. Pour water on it (or pee on it). Pain in the ass. Been like this since the very first model. With the walk mode redesign I thought they would have fixed it. Not yet
    Wouldn't liquid just make the problem worse for the next lap? I had well over 100 days on a pair of older Cochise and never had an issue with the mechanism.

Looking closer at my pair vs another pair the spring that actuates the walk mode was installed backwards on both my boots from factory. Took them out, added a bit of preload to the springs and put them in the other way. Seems to be working better now with more solid engagement. Also going to put some grease in there that should help keep moisture and snow away.

Quote Originally Posted by smooth operator View Post
    I ended up putting a foam liner in my zero G pros to take up space, and this is a great improvement for my skinny ankles and calves. Also, what really makes a big difference in ski performance is pulling the velcro strap tight over the liner and not over the cuff in front. This way you engage the boot earlier, and it increases responsiveness I find.
    I installed Booster Straps on my pair and wear them under the shell in front. Made an already nice, responsive, progressive flexing boot even better!

So after inbounds and touring this season on my Zero G guide pros with the following mods ( Power Wrap liner for inbounds , spoiler installed, and having the toe box punched I think I will keep these for touring with a pro tour liner(stock liner is way too thin for my taste). My foot just washes around and they flex way too softly in them with the stock liner when I used them touring. There is no way they are 130 flex. The pro wrap makes them pretty good but not nearly as stiff as my 6 year Cochise. I am thinking about going to a Cochise 130 in hopes that it is thicker denser shell and that I can throw my Power Wrap liners in them . Anyone with any insight on if there is a tangible difference between this boot and the Cochise 130 or should I just go another direction completely ? I am a low volume wide forefoot and thinner lower leg.
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

Tecnica ZeroG boot

Try adding tongue eliminators (trim the bottom and use velcro to attach) to your protours and replacing the stupid velcro powerstrap with a camlock one. Lock down the lower cuff buckle, then place the strap on the first plastic flap and crank it, then lock the top cuff buckle. I do this on my Cochise and it skis way better this way (with protour liners).

Ideally, Tecnica would just fix the shell and make the cuff a proper diameter for the thin ZeroG liner. Instead, the cuff is designed for the very thick Cochise liner.

Spoilers can work too. All depends on your dorsiflexion, stance and ideal forward lean.

Quote Originally Posted by Ski to Be View Post
    So after inbounds and touring this season on my Zero G guide pros with the following mods ( Power Wrap liner for inbounds , spoiler installed, and having the toe box punched I think I will keep these for touring with a pro tour liner(stock liner is way too thin for my taste). My foot just washes around and they flex way too softly in them with the stock liner when I used them touring. There is no way they are 130 flex. The pro wrap makes them pretty good but not nearly as stiff as my 6 year Cochise. I am thinking about going to a Cochise 130 in hopes that it is thicker denser shell and that I can throw my Power Wrap liners in them . Anyone with any insight on if there is a tangible difference between this boot and the Cochise 130 or should I just go another direction completely ? I am a low volume wide forefoot and thinner lower leg.
    The Cochise 130 is a totally different boot. It uses PE throughout the cuff and lower. Much quicker to engage, and the shell doesn't loose as much energy. I ski my 120s with a power wrap and it skis a bit softer than a Mach1 130.

I'd say if we call the Mach1 130 a 130 flex boot the ZeroG Guide Pro is a 110-115, the Cochise 120 is a 120, the Cochise 130 is a 125-130. It's worth noting however the Mach 1 has a smoother more precise flex than the Cochise. Adding a Powerwrap and/or drive plate to the Cochise really smooth out its flex curve.