Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by slashy View Post
    I will probably get flamed for this but here it goes :

my feet are 260/263mm L/R. I'm in 25.5 salomon ghosts (instep very tight) ; krypton KR1 25.5 (instep too high) before.

I'm very interested in the 2017 cochise pro. do I have any business in a 26.5 cochise pro ?
    I never had boots with walk function => should I have more room ?
    is CAS liner also a reason to go to the roomier side of things ?

considering to mount some new skis for the end of the season (not really required, but hey...) and hate to make more holes than necessary.

cochise 25.5 is same BSL as my ghosts so that would allow me to go ahead without redrilling.
    My feet are roughly the same length as yours (265/260), and i was unhappy in a cochise 26, and am very happy in a 25 (with punches for width). That being said, there is a lot more to fit than the length, so I would try some on before buying. Do a shell fit and try (if possible) with a worn in liner. Better still, see a bootfitter.

Up to this year cochise's BSL for size 25/25.5 was 300, next year's will be 295 mm.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    If you put the guide pro liner, or something similar in the Cochise 120, I would put my money on them flexing similar. With the zero G having a smoother flex.
    I could go for a rip inbounds on stiffer liners. But to auvgeek and XavierD this is skiing them the ZeroG Guide Pro with the stock liners and skiing the Cochise 120 with Intuition Luxury liners. Maybe I'll go put the same Luxury liners in the ZeroG Guide Pro in to see how they feel. As you pointed out the liners make quite a bit of difference

Can one of the Tecnica gurus on here verify that the Zero G will come in a true 22/22.5? I've seen the claim made, but nothing to substantiate it.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Thanks for the review Frank!

Correct me if I'm wrong...these boots ski the same as OG cochise or cochise light, and the shell fit will be similar. They are 1500 grams. Weight difference = 225 grams or slightly more than 1/2 LB.

I'm stoked as hell -- I now have zero reason to drop $$$$ on the new boots to save 225 grams.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    I love this boot, here's my review: http://14erskiers.com/blog/2016/03/r...g-guide-boots/
    Thoughts compared to the MX130 for a 1 boot quiver? 70/30 Resort to touring? I'm a slight fella as well, enjoying my MX's, but every so often want something lighter, but not sure I'd sacrifice the stiffness.

Quote Originally Posted by bobsdesk View Post
    Thanks for the review Frank!

Correct me if I'm wrong...these boots ski the same as OG cochise or cochise light, and the shell fit will be similar. They are 1500 grams. Weight difference = 225 grams or slightly more than 1/2 LB.

I'm stoked as hell -- I now have zero reason to drop $$$$ on the new boots to save 225 grams.

Fit and performance is quite different than the existing Cochise/Cochise Light.

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Thoughts compared to the MX130 for a 1 boot quiver? 70/30 Resort to touring? I'm a slight fella as well, enjoying my MX's, but every so often want something lighter, but not sure I'd sacrifice the stiffness.
    I've been finding that the OG flex is slightly less than the MX, but it's a more progressive flex. The MX starts a lot more upright as well, the OG has a bit more forward lean, which I like.

I don't know how big your 30% bc days are, but my Factors feel pretty heavy these days...

Quote Originally Posted by wasatchback View Post
    Fit and performance is quite different than the existing Cochise/Cochise Light.
    I've read about the fit difference, but the performance difference is...? (besides better walkability?)

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post

I don't know how big your 30% bc days are, but my Factors feel pretty heavy these days...
    Truth, they do fit my foot well though. Will have to check out the zero G's. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    I've read about the fit difference, but the performance difference is...? (besides better walkability?)
    You OBVIOUSLY aren't selling Technica boots bro. Let's remain vague about the actual benefits this boot brings to a skier and focus on walkability mmmmm-kay?

It offeres a smooth progressive flex that is honestly an upgrade in ski ability from the current set of Cochise boots in a platform that is more than competitive weight and range of motion with boots like the Kheion, MTN Lab, Maestrale RS, etc

It is pretty hard to quantify 'performance' on the Internet, especially when so many people are fixated on the flex rating, it is really hard to qualify for folks how much energy the boot transfers, how the stance works, how quick or slow the boot engages.

Folks need to stop trying to think about boots online. Go into a shop and stand in it for a while, talk to the employees who have potentially skied it.

Folks need to stop trying to think about boots online. Go into a shop and stand in it for a while, talk to the employees who have potentially skied it.
    Fantastic advice if I didn't have to drive 1.5 hours to get said advice.

Fantastic advice if I didn't have to drive 1.5 hours to get said advice.
    there are no ski boot shops in boulder?

there are no ski boot shops in boulder?
    I'm guessing bobsdesk doesn't live in Boulder, even though his profile says so. Larry's in Boulder is THE place.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

I'll try to post something this week with all the specs on the new Cochise and ZeroG boots. Some detailed photos comparing the two boots and comparing them against the old boots.

The fit is very different in certain areas of the boots. It is a completely different mold than the old Cochise and doesn't necessarily resemble even any of the Mach boots. It's your typical Tecnica, so it will have more room over the instep than say a Salomon. Those with flat feet are probably going to need to do something to take up space over the top of your foot. I would say it's comparable in instep height to the Mach MV.

However it is much much closer to the front of the ankle than the old Cochise was. The old Cochise required a lot of padding in the liner in the heal/ankle to take up space. The new shell has much less total volume in that area so the liners are thinner/lighter/less prone to packing out over time. Hopefully some comparison pics will help.

When you say "old Cochise", do you mean the 1st gen or 2nd gen? Love the instep height on my 2016 Pros, but do have the "space in front of the ankle" issue. Already shimmed the sides of the lower ankle/Achilles to snug things up there.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    When you say "old Cochise", do you mean the 1st gen or 2nd gen? Love the instep height on my 2016 Pros, but do have the "space in front of the ankle" issue. Already shimmed the sides of the lower ankle/Achilles to snug things up there.
    The last generation.... 14/15 - 15/16

We got a pair of 16/17 Cochise 120s in 25.5 in my shop. I'm skiing the current Cochise 120 in a 25.5 and like it, so I'm very interested in the new version and/or the Zero G. I wore them for a while today and the fit is really nice. Very easy to get in and out. Sure, that's not a big deal, but I like it. Like Wasatchback said, the new shell is much more streamlined in outward appearance, and in the fit as well. I can feel the 99mm vs. 100mm last at the ball of my foot, but the new shell has a roomier toe box. The ankle/heel fit is closer and more secure also. The walk mode is great. I can see myself using this for inbounds and touring, replacing my current Cochise and Dynafit Mercury. I will wait to try a Zero G for the final decision, but basically this new boot is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by MotoBeak View Post
    ... Like Wasatchback said, the new shell is much more streamlined in outward appearance, and in the fit as well. I can feel the 99mm vs. 100mm last at the ball of my foot, but the new shell has a roomier toe box. The ankle/heel fit is closer and more secure also. The walk mode is great. I can see myself using this for inbounds and touring, replacing my current Cochise and Dynafit Mercury. I will wait to try a Zero G for the final decision, but basically this new boot is awesome.
    Darn! That sounds like my foot. I've been on an endless search for a low enough volume ankle area for my bony extremities.

Cheers,
    Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    I'm guessing bobsdesk doesn't live in Boulder, even though his profile says so. Larry's in Boulder is THE place.

... Thom
    I live in Boulder. One too many legitimately terrible experiences at Larry's to continue going there. I'll drive to Denver from now on if need be.

I don't consider Larry's a boot "shop" unless you have the secret handshake and Larry knows you personally...then it's a great shop.

Quote Originally Posted by wasatchback View Post
    However it is much much closer to the front of the ankle than the old Cochise was. The old Cochise required a lot of padding in the liner in the heal/ankle to take up space. The new shell has much less total volume in that area so the liners are thinner/lighter/less prone to packing out over time. Hopefully some comparison pics will help.
    THIS would make a huge difference for me over the previous generation...thanks for the information.

I live in Boulder. One too many legitimately terrible experiences at Larry's to continue going there. I'll drive to Denver from now on if need be.

I don't consider Larry's a boot "shop" unless you have the secret handshake and Larry knows you personally...then it's a great shop.
    I would be very surprised if Bent Gate in Golden isn't carrying this boot next fall. I have no idea if Wilderness Exchange in Denver will or not, but they should. Both are great shops.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    I would be very surprised if Bent Gate in Golden isn't carrying this boot next fall. I have no idea if Wilderness Exchange in Denver will or not, but they should. Both are great shops.
    I agree. Had a great experience with Bent Gate and an Ion getting warrantied that really shouldn't have been a warranty at all. G3 / Bent Gate still fixed the issue pretty quickly.

Tecnica ZeroG boot

Tried on the new Cochise 120 the other day (a friend at a shop brought one over for me to try). Can't speak to the skiability, but its definitely tighter from the midfoot back. I'd probably need to remold my Intuitions at the very least. Felt lower on the instep too? Not a lot but noticeable. This is with my same ProTour liners (can't fit in the stock liners).

About the same ROM in the shell. Anyone using the stock liner should see a real improvement though - the new stock liner has a flex zone in back (awesome!).

The new buckles are a great improvement. The upper buckles have special extended catches to hold them in place while in tour mode, but you still get full ROM (impossible to do with the old Cochise). No more noisy buckles flopping around. The buckles also have locking hinges so they won't accidentally latch on when trying to take the boots off or put them on. Seems gimicky but its actually pretty useful.

The walk mode is new. I really appreciate the tab at the end of the pull. On the current Cochise, its been difficult at times to pull the loop with gloves on, the tab should make it pretty easy now. The walk mode has changed somewhat to supposedly remove slop. I never had slop in the boots when delivered, but all 3 pairs I've owned have developed slop over time, and I've had to replace one under warranty because the the boot no longer would reliably lock into ski mode in really cold temperatures. My current Cochises have also begun to develop this problem and I hope to send it in for warranty as well at the end of this season. The boots tend to last me about a season because of this issue. Hopefully the new redesigned walk mode will resolve it.

As already mentioned, they no longer use sole blocks . The tech fittings are molded into the shell. The soles themselves are replaceable, however (you can get DIN or rockered AT ones I think?). This is a great improvement, in my opinion. No chance for slop to develop, less weight, and you can have DIN and tech at the same time.

Aside from the fit and replaceable soles (instead of sole blocks), its nothing revolutionary, but a real nice step up from the current versions. Lots of refinements.