Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    I don't know this dude at all, but cut him some slack, he's pretty clear that the boots ski and walk exceptionally well, and it's not exactly controversial to observe that Tecnicas are a high volume fit, nor that Palau liners don't match up to the standard set by Intuitions.
    If you watch his other "review" videos, they're all pretty odd and misinformed. Like his review of the DPS W105, where he says his first thought was "not scintillating," and then goes on to say he prefers skis with a wood core...as if carbon skis don't have a wood core.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1kYK5tnIbw
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Aye, as soon as he says 'four buckle touring boot' you can disregard pretty much everything he says. And the '6.5lbs touring boot' point he makes suggests he lumps all touring boots together.

And what does 'handing them their lunch' mean? I don't know if that means they are good or shit!

I'm with kootenaryskier on this one. He's pretty clear that it's just an impression, and he praises the boots performance, and maybe has some reservations but it is an opinion. Him not stating that this boot is not quite the holy grail of touring boots is not blasphemy. And I don't think he needs to know every detail of a skis core to be able to have an opinion of how a piece of equipment feels versus another one. And his comparison of the cochise and wailer 105 is not off the mark by any means. Overall a positive impression and good press for tecnica.

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    If you watch his other "review" videos, they're all pretty odd and misinformed. Like his review of the DPS W105, where he says his first thought was "not scintillating," and then goes on to say he prefers skis with a wood core...as if carbon skis don't have a wood core.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1kYK5tnIbw
    Self-proclaimed expert who is in love with the sound of his own voice. "A little sticky on the edges". I wonder if he knows what a set of files and stones are used for?

Cheers,
    Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

LeeLau - thanks for the info on the Guide Pro. Since you are familiar with the shell fit of a size 27 Vulcan and the 26.5 pro guide, can you compare the two in general terms (e.g., length, width @ forefoot, and instep height/volume)?

Quote Originally Posted by garuda View Post
    LeeLau - thanks for the info on the Guide Pro. Since you are familiar with the shell fit of a size 27 Vulcan and the 26.5 pro guide, can you compare the two in general terms (e.g., length, width @ forefoot, and instep height/volume)?
    This is AFTER cooking the Palau liner to get it to custom-fit. I cook with double toe caps as am looking for a touring fit with more comfort.

Length - about the same
    Heel Hold - a bit tighter on Tecnica
    Toe width - narrower on Tecnica
    Forefoot width - tie but a tiny bit of pressure on Tecnica shows its narrower
    Instep height-volume - less on Tecnica

On the Vulcan - I dropped it my own pre-cooked Intuitions and skied them. THey fit like a dream

On the Tecnica (both the Cochise and GuidePro) - I got a punch at the toe for a tiny bit more width. The GuidePro plastic can be punched with patience.

LeeLau - I'm a bit confused, are you comparing the same size Vulcan and ZeroG? Confused since garuda mentions 27 vulcan and 26.5 ZeroG. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox510 View Post
    LeeLau - I'm a bit confused, are you comparing the same size Vulcan and ZeroG? Confused since garuda mentions 27 vulcan and 26.5 ZeroG. Thanks
    Yes - I fit the Vulcan in 27.5 and Cochise/ ZeroG in 26.5. Apparently many downsize shell when they go from Dynafit/Scarpa to Tecnica. Don't know why that is but I'm glad i listened to Tecnica on that

wait, you say the instep on the tecnica is lower than on the vulcan? I would assume the instep on the tecnica to be higher?

Quote Originally Posted by smooth operator View Post
    wait, you say the instep on the tecnica is lower than on the vulcan? I would assume the instep on the tecnica to be higher?
    The 26.5 Guide Pro is certainly more comfortable (taller) on my medium high instep than the Vulcan in a 27.5. As Lee says, the distance between the met heads is a little tighter on the Guide Pro, as is the mid foot volume (except for the medial side just under the malleolus).

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    The 26.5 Guide Pro is certainly more comfortable (taller) on my medium high instep than the Vulcan in a 27.5. As Lee says, the distance between the met heads is a little tighter on the Guide Pro, as is the mid foot volume (except for the medial side just under the malleolus).
    Thinking back on it i was probably talking out of my ass. The instep on the Tecnica was lower before I cooked the liner. But after? I didn't measure. I would trust what greg said over me

So I skied my zeroG guide Pro's today for the first time. Just a quick lap before going to the fitter so i know where to widen.

General impression: Light, great walk mode (compared to tecnica bushwacker, which is the same as the old cochise). Fit also better (for my foot) compared to old cochise; better heel hold, wider toebox -or I should say- less pointy. I will still need to punch it a bit at the 6th toe, but less than cochise/bushwacker. Anybody have experience punching these?, especially at the interface of the two plastics, can this be done?

Skiing wise they are real nice, a bit stiffer than the bushwacker (which is listed as 110 flex). Maybe a tad less progressive, but this could also just be the difference in stiffness.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    You know, I don't know dick, but I'm gonna spew a wad of idiotic questions and observations regardless.
    We're all quite interested in the commentary of someone who doesn't even ski lift-served, let alone uphill-on-skis. Please, I'm on the edge of my chair waiting for your astute and relevant commentary.

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Self-proclaimed expert who is in love with the sound of his own voice. "A little sticky on the edges". I wonder if he knows what a set of files and stones are used for?

Cheers,
    Thom
    Different from blister only in name. Different from stuckie-thoughts almost nil. Different from many maggots' observations? Barely, but imperceptibly.

We should traipse on over to "pugski" to get Big Fake Fraud Phil Pugliese's "expert" thoughts, which are guaranteed to be a regurgitation of Tecnica advance mfr product info brochure contents, and totally devoid of useful (read: in-use) insights.

I always thought if I stuck around TGR long enough, I'd live to see it surpass EpicSki in poseurdom and hollow (fake) expertise. Nice work Dunfee. Hats off to ye. You really know how to lower the standards, eliminate the comedy, and boost the fakery. Ryan Dunfee, folks. Let's all give him a hand.

So I skied my zeroG guide Pro's today for the first time. Just a quick lap before going to the fitter so i know where to widen.

General impression: Light, great walk mode (compared to tecnica bushwacker, which is the same as the old cochise). Fit also better (for my foot) compared to old cochise; better heel hold, wider toebox -or I should say- less pointy. I will still need to punch it a bit at the 6th toe, but less than cochise/bushwacker. Anybody have experience punching these?, especially at the interface of the two plastics, can this be done?

Skiing wise they are real nice, a bit stiffer than the bushwacker (which is listed as 110 flex). Maybe a tad less progressive, but this could also just be the difference in stiffness.
    When punching these boots you need to just heat them slowly at low heat... Hit it with the heat gun for a bit then take it off the heat, wait 30 seconds the hit it again. If you go high heat and try to do it fast A: you'll damage the Triax plastic and B: you run the chance of blowing the seam. Great thing about the CAS is the plastic heats up faster and you need to use a lot less pressure to get them to stretch. Just go slowly and you will be able to stretch them with no problems. Doing a toe punch is the only area that might be hard but that's why they were designed for more room for the big toe anyways.

LeeLau - did you get some time on these yet?

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox510 View Post
    LeeLau - did you get some time on these yet?
    Yup. 2 days inbounds; 4 days touring, Been swapping in some days with Vulcans. Very initial impressions because I was also futzing around with getting toes punched.

I'll write up some initial impressions tonight. Space saved here for that

OK here are some remarks

Build

- PU/Grilamid plastic is joined right where one would punch the toe. You can see a small seam where its been punched at my toe. Not a big deal for someone like myself who doesn't worry too much about cosmetics but its there.

- Love the Tecnica buckles and the fact you can easily service them. Open/close with a satisfying clunk. They are nicely cammed so can be closed with some force.

Touring

- Rearward range of motion does matter at least to me. I miss having relatively large rearward ROM, I feel like the ZeroG would really benefit from having a bit of backward lean. Right now I feel like its maybe - 5 lean at most

- Free movement at cuff is very nice. There is pretty decent forward ROM but, for me, I appreciate that rear ROM more than the forward ROM.

- Having said all that the ZeroG is reasonably light and has better than average ROM. Certainly better than Cochise or say Freedom SL. But not as good as the Vulcan

Downhill

- I've been using it with the stock liners that are cooked for my feet. These liners are quite nice! Great for touring with lots of ROM. On the other hand I wonder if the boot will be stiffer with an Intuition and I'll experiment with some Luxury liners. The boot isn't as stiff as say a Cochise 120 and I would guesstimate it as say a 115 - 110. But this is a wild-ass guess.

- Man Tecnica has spoiled me for ski feel quality. Beautiful progressive feel in the travel of the boot

That's all I got for now.
    Last edited by LeeLau; 02-22-2016 at 10:54 PM.

I'll be curious what you think, LL. I'm at 1 day inbounds and 2 out. Very happy so far.

Does anybody (wasatchback?) know if the BSL of next year's cochise will also be shorter?

So far I am really diggin my zeroG guide's, although I may want to complement them with a cochise for inbounds/harder charging. Problem is the BSL of the ZeroG in 25 is 295mm vs 300mm on my old bushwackers(=~cochise), which means i have to readjust my bindings all the time, which is a pain with the 1mm beast gap. Will next year's cochise also have a 5mm shorter BSL?

New Cochise is the same last as ZeroG, so I imagine it is the same BSL. Could be wrong.

Cochise and Zero G come from the same mold. Same BSL

thought so, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    The boot isn't as stiff as say a Cochise 120 and I would guesstimate it as say a 115 - 110. But this is a wild-ass guess.
    Lee, are you talking about the Zero G Guide Pro? If so, it's disappointing that it's softer than the Cochise 120.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

If you put the guide pro liner, or something similar in the Cochise 120, I would put my money on them flexing similar. With the zero G having a smoother flex.

Did anybody drill through the spine to attach a spoiler? I have skinny calves and like a tad more forward lean, so i duct-taped some spoilers in. With the spine looking not al that beefy, I'm hesitant to drill through it. Any thoughts?

I will probably get flamed for this but here it goes :

my feet are 260/263mm L/R. I'm in 25.5 salomon ghosts (instep very tight) ; krypton KR1 25.5 (instep too high) before.

I'm very interested in the 2017 cochise pro. do I have any business in a 26.5 cochise pro ?
    I never had boots with walk function => should I have more room ?
    is CAS liner also a reason to go to the roomier side of things ?

considering to mount some new skis for the end of the season (not really required, but hey...) and hate to make more holes than necessary.

cochise 25.5 is same BSL as my ghosts so that would allow me to go ahead without redrilling.