New life for gloves?

Anyone have a good solution for breathing some life back into gloves that are feeling a bit flat? The mitts in question are a pair of black diamond, patrol, I think. After year 2 of moderate use they seem to have really packed out and are getting cold where. I never had the problem last season...

A new pair is in the mix, but I'm a little bummed these went flat so quick.

wash them, dry them treat the leather, any spots that look like there are wearing alot I will put a thin layer of aqua seal ... a little aqs will double the life of a glove
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Liners? Not sure what you could do other than add insulation.

they kinda pack down a bit so I wash em, dry em I got a fan driven glove/boot dryer and also a plastic thing I stick over my house's forced air vent to funnel the air up thru the glove and it helps rejuvey a glove to some degree and so if a glove gets packed out you can wear a thin glove liner for more warmth

But the big killer of any glove is not taking care of wear spots, people tend to wear out the same spots on ski or bike gloves and then they whine and bitch cuz their gloves didn't last but if you hit those spots with a little freesole or AQS or shoo goo you can double the life of any glove

the smart out door junkie should have a tube of AQS stored in the freezer ready to fix whatever

Yeah, wear is hardly the issue, just the loft of the insulation. I'm going to give the wash and dry a trick after the next trip.

thanks all.

Quote Originally Posted by Breomonkey View Post
    Yeah, wear is hardly the issue, just the loft of the insulation. I'm going to give the wash and dry a trick after the next trip.

thanks all.
    I have not had much luck rejuvenating gloves and unfortunately BD does not sell replacement liners. I have a pair of guide gloves that the shells are in great condition but the liners are packed out, my hands get cold so they are only used on 25 F + days. How can BD not sell liners? what BS is that.

I would not worry about, spend $50 and order a new pair from Free The Powder Gloves. They are great gloves or mittens, short or long cuff and honestly they are just as good or better that Hestra or BD that are two to three times more expensive. They do not have removable liners but for $50 who cares. BTW, next year they will have models with liners you can wash. Only available online, based in Park City.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    I would not worry about, spend $50 and order a new pair from Free The Powder Gloves.
    That was my 1st step! Couldn't agree more on the quality or value. My only wish was for a mid-weight pair with a cuff like the Hestra FallLine. I hope those lined gloves don't start taking the prices upward to fast!

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    They do not have removable liners but for $50 who cares. BTW, next year they will have models with liners you can wash. Only available online, based in Park City.
    available now--$80

Well, count me among those who think it's lame that BD doesn't sell replacement liners for their gloves. My Guide gloves are broken in, but not a whole lot more than that. Meanwhile the liners are packed out and totally shot in spots.

Does anyone know whether FTP liners fit BD gloves? Seems like fit is part of the question, and alignment of the velcro tabs is the other key part. And/or any other solutions to the problem of BD not selling replacements.

Yeah I know I can just buy some new FTP gloves for a fair price. But I've already got a pair of the short-cuff, and like 'em a lot of some uses. But I also like my BD guides for other uses, or I did back when they kept my hands warm, and I'd hate to have to toss 'em when the leather is just getting nice.

What's the best leather treatment? Even at -25 I don't need insulated gloves but I hate when my gloves get soaked with water.

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    What's the best leather treatment? Even at -25 I don't need insulated gloves but I hate when my gloves get soaked with water.
    I use Aquaseal on mine. http://www.aquaseal.com/products.asp...oz.+Cr%C3%A8me I used to just warm my mitts up and rub it in but it would only last a week and the leather would get all dried out again. My new technique is to put them in the oven at about 145-150F for 15 minutes, rub in Aquaseal then back in the oven for another 15 and remove, repeat process once more and let dry overnight at room temp. So far they've stayed super shiny/lustrous and most importantly fully beading waterproof for 1-1/2 months now.
    Last edited by balefulstare; 03-26-2017 at 01:28 AM.
    "It's like we're watching a movie... and then suddenly we're acting in it."

Answering my own question re: FTP liners in BD Guide gloves....

Yes it works. Size medium FTP long-cuff liners fit pretty well in size medium Guide gloves. And it seems like they'll work well. Pretty sweet upgrade for $20! Thank you FTP.

Quote Originally Posted by balefulstare View Post
    I use Aquaseal on mine. http://www.aquaseal.com/products.asp...oz.+Cr%C3%A8me I used to just warm my mitts up and rub it in but it would only last a week and the leather would get all dried out again. My new technique is to put them in the oven at about 145-150F for 15 minutes, rub in Aquaseal then back in the oven for another 15 and remove, repeat process once more and let dry overnight at room temp. So far they've stayed super shiny/lustrous and most importantly fully beading waterproof for 1-1/2 months now.
    I think your Aquaseal and XXXs( M Essentials Aquaseal Urethane Repair Adhesive) are two different things for two different purposes. Anyway not sure how to restore insulation value other than get better liners for gloves that can take them. For worn palms the xxx method works for me. Always on the right hand from handing skis to the liftee getting on the gondie. I have use shoe goo and Goop marine and both work fine. Abit unsightly for sure.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    What's the best leather treatment?
    Obenauf's LP

Quote Originally Posted by DougW View Post
    I think your Aquaseal and XXXs( M Essentials Aquaseal Urethane Repair Adhesive) are two different things for two different purposes. Anyway not sure how to restore insulation value other than get better liners for gloves that can take them. For worn palms the xxx method works for me. Always on the right hand from handing skis to the liftee getting on the gondie. I have use shoe goo and Goop marine and both work fine. Abit unsightly for sure.
    yeah same name different product

if you want to make a repair look better use some Saran wrap over the aqua seal, roll it out with a beer bottle (or chardonnay for the fucking dentists) and it won't look like you left a lump of snot on your glove after wiping your nose

Along the same lines I just used saran wrap over an epoxy repair on a dinged FG SUP board, the epoxy came out smooth like buttah !
    Last edited by XXX-er; 04-26-2017 at 07:17 PM.

xxx er has upped my AQS repair game with the saran wrap and freezer tricks. I patch all my gloves and some are now more aqs than textile.
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man