Consolation Prize: Independence Peak

Well, after spending all day Saturday in hell, er, George Creek trying to make our way up the drainage to Mt. Williamson with Bullet, Tarkman, Tyrone, we (minus Bullet) had to settle for a fun couloir just out of Independence on Sunday.

First, the carnage from George Creek courtesy of Tyrone:

The consolation prize:

Going up:

Still, going up:

Tyrone, bootin' it up:

Tarkman, ditching the skins, getting ready to really suffer:

continued.....

Soon after that last picture, the nicely corning snow turned fairly manky. After we booted up another couple hundred feet or so and were another couple hundred shy of the top I sank a couple times to my hips and Tarkman took a bit of a spill we decided it was time to call it so we dawned skis and headed down.

Tarkman:

Tyrone:

And so it went. Freaking fun day in the with Tyrone and Tarkman, we were just bummed that Bullet had a growth coming out of his tire and missed out on all the fun. The East Side is going off people, get out there!

Good going, guys. Nice pics, looks like fun. Can't wait for two weeks from now...I'm tempted to ditch lift served all together. And this time, start earlier in the AMs!

Freaking nice pics CS! And great skiing with you guys too....I'm so worked from this weekend. The 12 hour death-slog-bushwack in George Creek on Saturday just killed me (TR to come, maybe..I think we're all trying to forget it).. but I'll take Independence Peak as a consolation price anyday.

DG -- We started our ascent of Indy at about 6:30 AM. We're figuring we were about an hour too late for optimal conditions. Especially since much of this chute faces East.

Quote Originally Posted by CS
    I love this picture. It really gives you a feel for the scale of the eastside. Look how far down the valley floor is.

Nice job gentlemen! Too bad you couldn't make it up to Williamson, but the consolation prize doesn't look too bad (huge understatement).
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Same thoughts^^^^^

you guys are killing me with the east side goodness after seeing it live for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Gotta make it out there. Keep the photos and reports coming.
    "In the woods, we return to reason and faith. There I feel that nothing can befall me in life, — no disgrace, no calamity, (leaving me my eyes,) which nature cannot repair." -Emerson

I'd say this was a good trade off...
    This:

For This:

Looks FREAKIN' Nice guys!

Alright! I like the trees in those first pics, makes the skiing look scenic
    There's a world out there full of color, dreams, and imagination. What are you waiting for?

verrrrry niiiiice fellas. mt williamson huh??? crazy bastards

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy
    mt williamson huh??? crazy bastards
    That’s what I was thinking.

Way to make the most of it and have fun on Sunday. Great pics! Love the ones of Ty with the valley below.
    so many mountains...so little time

www.splitboard.com

Nice!!!

Spent the weekend at Virgnia Lakes with a bunch of splitboarders.

Great snow on Sat.

Saturday night seemed promising for a good freeze that night, but the freeze fizzled when a nighttime overcast came in. (more on that later).
    Sunday started off grey and windy and stayed that way for most of the morning. The heavy coating of lenticulars only covered a small area, but we were right in that area all morning untill the sun moved west past the clouds. Then things got sloppy really fast as the top crust melted through to the unconsolidated rot underneath. I'd guess good corn conditions lasted less than an hour.

Be careful out there, this spring has a relatively scary spring snowpack for the sierra. When we were packing up at the parking lot, we saw several natural slides on the north face of South Peak including one that stepped down at least a foot when it hit the apron.

The new snow that may or may not be coming this weekend won't improve things. The snow needs to stop and we need an extended string of cold nights. Otherwise, we're going to be looking for really high elevations.

PS. Snowmobilers were highmarking in places they shouldn't have been.
    "if the city is visibly one of humankind's greatest achievements, its uncontrolled evolution also can lead to desecration of both nature and the human spirit."
    -- Melvin G. Marcus 1979

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy
    mt williamson huh??? crazy bastards
    Yeah, that's what I started thinking at about this point:

Jeez,

Doctor Livingston I presume?That is some serious bushwacking!
    Calmer than you dude

Did you guys see any Gorillas in there?

After we booted up another couple hundred feet or so and were another couple hundred shy of the top I sank a couple times to my hips
    ....Ty loves to boot up stuff like that!

Damn, I’m glad I was having my second cup of coffee when you guys were playing gorillas in the mist.
    The trumpet scatters its awful sound Over the graves of all lands Summoning all before the throne

Death and mankind shall be stunned When Nature arises To give account before the Judge

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel99

!

Fine shot. Now as my background. Great TR!
    The snow doesn't give a soft white damn whom it touches.
    ~ e.e. cummings

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    [QUOTE=CS]

[QUOTE]

Another FKA TR.
    I can almost feel the old school tree vibe through the moniter.
    Thanks for the "IT SO AINT OVER" stoke. KEEP on KEEPIN on BAGGIN em
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Rock Creek and Onion Valley have so many options right now.

Independence Peak called for an early start. We were back at the car by 11am. Starting around 6-6:30 seems like the best starting window given that the sun gets on the couloir early, especially the top portion. If anything, get up early and hang out on the top until the corn is sweet.

CS, thanks for taking the camera. That shot looking down to Tyrone and the Owens Valley is my favorite from the weekend.