Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane

So who's using indoor trainers?

Never in a million years did I think I would get this nerdy. Alas, I got a Kinetic trainer for my birthday. It came with the inroad device built in so I have got cadence, etc already going. Getting a heart rate strap soon.

What's really odd is that Kurt Kinetic had a full blown working app only a few months ago it seems. Now I can only get the beta of the new app (android) and it pretty much has no features other than being able to see my cadence, wattage, heart rate.

I do have a Garmin Forerunner 920xt, so I might ditch the Kinetic app altogether and get a cadence sensor for the Garmin.

Anyway, what videos/programs do you guys use? I watched a GCN video on youtube the past 3 days. I like them, but their "effort level" is kind of arbitrary.

My brother in law uses Trainer Road, but I don't want to pay for ANOTHER freaking monthly subscription and staring at graphs during my whole ride seems boring as fuck.

I just crank tunes and get in the zone. I tried watching training DVDs but they don't match my natural rhythm, probably because I suck, so I just put my head down and rock out.

Zwift seems to be really popular these days. I don't use it, but my buddies do.

If you're just looking for ways to pass the time, there are a million HD bike races over on youtube. I just finished watching today's WC cyclocross race and it was great. Would make good trainer fodder.

Music and a structured workout works best for me. Once a week I head down to the shop and we do a "group ride" in the back. Add warm up and cool down time and we usually go for about 1.5hrs. If I just aimlessly spin and watch netflix I get really sick of it after about 30min.

You might also try something like trainer road or zwift, which do virtual rides. zwift you need a power meter, trainer road just goes by wheel speed and has approximate power curves for different trainers.

I've just been riding outside for the last week because I'm visiting family in AZ and brought my bike. I recommend doing something like that if you can.

I find something entertaining on netflix that'll just keep playing on its own and put subtitles on so I can follow what's happening.

This is the program I follow: http://www.leelikesbikes.com/pump-up...g-program.html

Basically just a structured interval training program that builds week to week. If I were just spinning aimlessly I don't think I'd get anywhere. With HR and cadence showing on my phone nearby, I can keep myself focused on getting through the interval without taking it easy.

I just watch something on tv and do intervals during commercial breaks. That and weed.

Quote Originally Posted by flowtron's ghost View Post
    That and weed.
    Yeah. If I'm going to be on it more than 45 minutes I have to be baked. I typically ride a spin bike in my dark heated garage next to all my stuff. Stare at the real bikes, zone out.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    I just crank tunes and get in the zone. I tried watching training DVDs but they don't match my natural rhythm, probably because I suck, so I just put my head down and rock out.
    This. I'll sometimes have a tv on if there's a game I want to watch but without sound and the MP3 dock cranked. It's boring but, gotta do something during the week when it's dark out.

If you're a Strava premium user they have a couple of the sufferfest vids on there which are good. But honestly it's not rocket science. Couple longer (build up to 20min) HR zone 4 intervals a week. And if you hate yourself you can work in some shorter (3-6min) HR zone 5 intervals. Next winter I'm renting a place in Tuscon for a month though. That and buying a fatbike.

I watch XC races on RedbullTv
    http://www.redbull.com/us/en/bike/di..._cross_country

watching the XCE is good for interval training. Steady spin at ~60% hr during the breaks, full sprint for the 1-2 minute race. Or just watch the XCO and ride along with the leaders.

Been riding my Kreitlers w/ a headwind fan since the mid 80's. I can't watch anything. I listen to music. Currently 10-12 country songs gets me 45 minutes. That's about as long as I can take.
    Wouldn't weed make the workout seem longer?

I just got a Kurts Kinetic, setting it up tonight with my road bike.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Rollers. Duh.

my fav rollers video

I just tried some Sufferfest videos, pretty brutal videos, lots of race footage and a little humor tossed in to break things up. other than that spinervals with Coach Troy were mostly what I use.

And the roller crash is no joke, I wore a helmet until I got the hang of it.

I just watch something on tv and do intervals during commercial breaks. That and weed.
    x2
    although if you are watching tv you have to crank the volume which neighbors don't always love

Another rollers fan here (Kreitler+Headwind), I LOATHE my trainer.

I keep sessions at an hour or less for sanity reasons (always heard 45 min inside = 1 hour outside). I've been using one of the indoor CTS plans via Strava premium and then playing a MTB or ski video in the background. Generally only paying attention during warm-up and rests. Strava (recently?) replaced the sufferfest videos with CTS ones, which aren't bad, but have only done one so far. Planning to eventually setup my pain cave with a computer/laptop for other videos, Zwift, and/or CTS.

Ummm...FAT BIKE!

Take a lap

I ended up getting an airdyne. It's too painful to be on for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder Ho View Post
    Been riding my Kreitlers w/ a headwind fan since the mid 80's. I can't watch anything. I listen to music. Currently 10-12 country songs gets me 45 minutes. That's about as long as I can take.
    Wouldn't weed make the workout seem longer?
    Not only would it seem longer but you'd be riding the equivalent of 7 mph.

On the roller trainer, I have a couple of friends who has some 'issues' with them. One guy fell over and broke a table next to him and another fell over and broke her arm. I'll stick with a traditional wind trainer (Cyclops), thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    Not only would it seem longer but you'd be riding the equivalent of 7 mph.

On the roller trainer, I have a couple of friends who has some 'issues' with them. One guy fell over and broke a table next to him and another fell over and broke her arm. I'll stick with a traditional wind trainer (Cyclops), thanks.
    It's not that hard, really. Get a fork stand for the days you want to zone out or do standing intervals. I usually watch sports, btw.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

I admire folks that can ride indoors. I don't have the desire or motivation to suffer like that. Its like humping a bucket of hot water for sex training...The action is there but you are just missing the "feel"

Agree w/ plugboots, only time I've ever "crashed" is when I was screwing around seeing how slow I could pedal (hint: don't do this). Even riding off isn't a big deal and the parabolic ones do a really good job of keeping you on if you're just starting out (I borrowed some of these initially). Standing takes some getting used to, but isn't that bad despite not being nearly as natural as outside.

To jetski's point, could never motivate reliably either and my stationary trainer gathered dust. Rollers for me helped with that significantly. Keeps your mind very well occupied and feels much more like riding than a trainer ever did.

That and weed.
    Best part of riding bikes? Smoking weed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

Quote Originally Posted by Rontele View Post
    Best part of smoking weed? Riding bikes.
    Fixed for ya, buddy.