Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Did my first workout on trainer road last night. Shit is freaking hard. I am doing the DH specific low volume program. 3 one hour sessions per week. Basically interval sprint training. 30 seconds going as fast/hard as you can. 30 seconds of rest. Repeat. Using a garmin speed and cadence sensor via ANT+ on my macbook pro.

I've heard good things about these videos and might give them a try. 10 weeks post acl surgery, it's all about the indoor trainer. Looking forward to getting outside again. Having trouble deciding between a new Ibis, either the Ripley LS or the Mojo 3 - the light at the end of the indoor trainer tunnel.

http://thesufferfest.com/collections/cycling-videos

Been a few years since I've dropped by TGR. Moved up to Sapporo and since Japan get's just a little bit of snow, I'm interested in getting a trainer. I read the thread but it doesn't seem like too many people here have them.

Does anyone have any experience with the Wahoo Snap (since this is all I can get in Japan), CycleOps Powerbeam Pro, or Tacx Vortex Smart? Looking to buy one of these so I can train November - April. I'd love to hear any advice about these or the trainer you have. Cheers!
    パウダーバカ!!

I can't get into trainers and absolutely love riding my fatty everyday. Couple inches of fresh over a packed trial is sublime, but maybe you get too much snow?
    Put a ski rack on it and ride to the lifts.

Shredhead, hows the fatty with a foot of fresh?? Sounds fun!
    パウダーバカ!!

If it's light and fluffy, maybe. 6-8" is about my max and then I'm putting on my XC skis to pack down the trail.

There are worse problems to have.

I've seen a lot of guys with fatties up here, might have to look at that as an option. But, I'm still thinking indoors. Cheers!
    パウダーバカ!!

How's everyone fairing in the pain cave? I am actually starting to almost enjoy it! Using TrainerRoad with the mini window while watching something on Netflix makes the time fly by.

So, do trainer specific tires make a big difference? I seem to get alot of sliding with my regular tire. Running a Conti with gatorskin or whatever its called, and the rubber just seems too hard to get good grip on the roller. Even if I clean it with ISO, etc. Really don't want to buy yet another tire!

Also, TR gave me a free month to give away. Anyone need?

I've got the bike trainer set up but I can't bring myself to actualy get on the damn thing
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Some friends are using Zwift and smart trainers; they are addicted. My boring old fluid trainer is a torture machine, so goddamn boring; but after a Zwift demo from friends, I can see the appeal of smart trainers. Direct drive, so tires are irrelevant; graphics and road-feel are very good. I'm thinking I need to upgrade.

Just sold my indoor trainer today. Fuck that shit.

I borrowed a magnetic trainer off of GF

I noticed she didnt use it last year eitehr
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Still never really took to Zwift. I did order a magnetic resistance unit for my rollers to up the ante for some harder intervals. Generally try to use indoor time for long tempo/sub-lt work and pedal efficiency/etc, then a few winter group rides for hard efforts. Starting my real training plan soon getting prepped for early May racing

Got direct drive and Zwift and love it, but I've not been on it in a few weeks as I've been skiing a lot. Once I'm back to skiing weekends only I'll jump on during the week. TR definitely has superior workouts compared with Zwift, but I enjoy the free rides with other people, different courses, and their structured workouts. I've checked out TR workouts and have made my own interval sessions based on wattage/time that TR has that Zwift doesn't. I only logged 1200kilos since last September/October through Dec, but I like how I don't need nearly as much saddle time inside vs outside and get a better workout. A pain cave isn't for everyone, but it suits me just fine. This is the strongest I've ever been for the winter season so I am chuffed!
    パウダーバカ!!

WG, I'd actually really like to try it, but won't touch it until after ski season. If you still have the code then I'd love to get it to try out once I start cycling FT again.
    パウダーバカ!!

BTW, anyone in central OR looking for a Cycle Ops fluid trainer, let me know.

I've just been doing unstructured trainer rides watching netflix this winter, I don't seem to have the motivation to go hard right now. I'd love a smart trainer...maybe next year.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

FYI, trainer specific tires make a HUGE difference. I got a Vittoria one for 30 bucks. Much quieter, no slippage, better power control, etc.

Bumpity.

I’m old and broken and trying to build and maintain fitness and need all the help I can get. Mostly ride dirt with an emphasis on vertical, pavement when I have to with same. Hit the gym for cross training and weights a couple times/week, emphasis on core and upper body. Have a shitty mag trainer which I hate. Have some basic rollers which I much prefer. Been doing some unstructured stuff in the garage or on the back deck when I don’t have a time or weather window for anything else. Recently have been using HR for some intervals or to maintain steady effort. Found I can still top 200 bpm at age 45, which surprised me. Supposedly hit 209 the other day on a top-out sprint on one our local road climbs. Don’t know if that good or bad though, haha.

Anyhow, got a screamin deal on a power meter for the roady and just ordered an Element Bolt with all the sensors (cadence is redundant with the power meter but whatev). So the question is: can this stuff basically turn my rollers into a smart trainer? I’m tubeless on the road bike and run 80-85 psi, that provides a bit of resistance and with the gears I’m pushing I’ve got some room. Do I need variable resistance or can I get by just with my derailleur? Sounds like TR might cater to my needs? Anyone have any input?
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air