Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 68
  1. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Pagosa Springs CO
    Posts
    374
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    Not only would it seem longer but you'd be riding the equivalent of 7 mph.

    On the roller trainer, I have a couple of friends who has some 'issues' with them. One guy fell over and broke a table next to him and another fell over and broke her arm. I'll stick with a traditional wind trainer (Cyclops), thanks.
    You do get used to them after a while. If you're a wuss you can set your rollers next to a wall.
    I've had mine next to a wall for many years. I can accept an injury on the road or trail, but not my basement falling off my rollers

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Wasatch
    Posts
    4,125
    Quote Originally Posted by baby bear View Post
    like that feeling that you're kind of improving your lung function by biking/training so you can afford to off set it with some weed?

    yep
    Vape doesn't count right?

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Big Sky/Moonlight Basin
    Posts
    6,286
    First real session tonight on my new Kinetic. Bike = 10 year old steel frame Orbea with 9 speed Dura-Ace. Was in waaay to stiff a gear and blew up my quads by about minute five or six. Downshifted and just spun until the 30 minute mark. Got kind of boring about minute 20. Smoked a bowl beforehand. My current plan is 30 minutes in the morning and 30 minutes in the evening.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

    "Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,562
    I finally caved last night and got on the trainer for the first time this season. Doing a 2x20 session once or twice a week all winter is great for coming in to spring feeling strong so I guess it's trainer time until the trails dry out.
    "It need not be fun to be fun." - Big Steve

    throughpolarizedeyes.com

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Bham
    Posts
    168
    I have a shitty old commuter bike on a mag trainer. I watch an episode of something using headphones. Typically about 45 minutes or so, and almost always with a cocktail or a beer (no ganga due to job). I just spin, never really try that hard. I don't think I could do it if it felt like a workout. It's just a quick happy hour, mild sweat and possibly some boobies depending on the series.

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    6,272
    Quote Originally Posted by jetski View Post
    I admire folks that can ride indoors. I don't have the desire or motivation to suffer like that. Its like humping a bucket of hot water for sex training...The action is there but you are just missing the "feel"
    Yep, treadmills too. More than about 30 minutes is torturous. We have spin bike at home and all I use it for any more is all-out sprints.

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Was in waaay to stiff a gear and blew up my quads by about minute five or six. Downshifted and just spun until the 30 minute mark.
    HR monitor helps for that. I'm terrible at gauging my RPE on the spin bike and an objective measure of effort helps a lot.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 02-03-2016 at 03:47 PM.

  7. #32
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the shadows run from themselves
    Posts
    10,725
    Yeah, I am surprisingly not that bored so far. Gonna do 60 minutes this evening. Got a heart rate monitor going now too.

    One thing that kind of sucks is having to get off the bike to fix my laptop when the video freezes or something. Totally fucks up my flow, maaaan.

    Anyone have a good laptop mount for the bars? There are a few online but most of them seem to restrict actually being able to get into proper riding position on the bars.

    Guess I will just drag some kind of table or something over next to the bike for now.

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    SLCizzy
    Posts
    2,342
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Yeah, I am surprisingly not that bored so far. Gonna do 60 minutes this evening. Got a heart rate monitor going now too.

    One thing that kind of sucks is having to get off the bike to fix my laptop when the video freezes or something. Totally fucks up my flow, maaaan.

    Anyone have a good laptop mount for the bars? There are a few online but most of them seem to restrict actually being able to get into proper riding position on the bars.

    Guess I will just drag some kind of table or something over next to the bike for now.
    Check it yo!
    http://www.wahoofitness.com/devices/...ding-desk.html

  9. #34
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the shadows run from themselves
    Posts
    10,725
    Quote Originally Posted by flowtron's ghost View Post
    That thing is sweet, but for that price pretty sure I can make one myself out of fine hardwood with brass hardware!

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Providence RI
    Posts
    2,544
    Im a huge fan of zwift. Been doing intervals all winter. Yeah, boring as heck in some ways but Im a numbers fiend and love chasing watts (my trainer has a power meter). Great way to motivate to get through the winter.

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Tahoe
    Posts
    2,010
    After a hard ski day I'll jump on the trainer and spin in a low gear for about 20 min, helps to flush out the lactic acid and the legs do feel fresher the next AM.
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Bottom feeding
    Posts
    3,479
    ^^^ As an old fuck with little if any cartilage, I'll tell Mrs. P that I'm going to go lube the knees.
    I'm going to cut the soles off my shoes, sit in a tree and learn to play the flute.

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Shadynasty's Jazz Club
    Posts
    7,209
    Aren't you in Jersey or something W_G? Why not get out and ride?

    I've actually been enjoying the wet conditions down here. Ending a gravel ride covered in mud is strangely satisfying.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    the junkshow
    Posts
    4,873
    Quote Originally Posted by flowtron's ghost View Post
    Nice, I've been using our ironing board in the same fashion.

    Got a cheap spin bike recently. Haven't been using it a ton this winter because I'm usually headed to the hill in the AM and I'm usually drunk in the PM. Looking to start really using it in the spring to get ready for the bike season.


    One thing we looked into was Peloton. The bikes are fuggin pricey but you can watch the training stuff for kinda cheap on a computer or iPad. The wife was interested, I'd rather watch Game of Thrones and sprint whenever someone gets fucked, maimed, or killed. Makes for pretty consistent intervals.

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    411
    The wahoo kickr is really the only answer to making indoor training a) effective and b) not boring as shit.

    Some people can self motivate enough to do pukingly hard intervals on a normal trainer but for me erg mode is the only way that's gonna happen. Yes it's pricey but you get what you pay for.

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    AK
    Posts
    287
    ^this x2 + Trainerroad. I hated my kinetic trainer. 1hr on it felt like an eternity.

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    943
    Zwift is well worth the $10/month when you're stuck inside. Pretty sweet that the resistance changes with the terrain or in a draft. I get a better workout trying to hold wheels, etc. than watching a movie.

  18. #43
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the shadows run from themselves
    Posts
    10,725
    Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Aren't you in Jersey or something W_G? Why not get out and ride?

    I've actually been enjoying the wet conditions down here. Ending a gravel ride covered in mud is strangely satisfying.
    I am in the dirty, but it's always dark by the time I get home from work.

    So kinetic has a super ghetto beta android app. Can't sync to heart rate, uploads to strava but with no actual ride data, etc.

    I do own a garmin forerunner 920xt watch. How can I best use this in combo with a training program like swift or trainer road?

    Get a garmin cadence sensor for the watch and only use the kinetic just for resistance?

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    1,196
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    I am in the dirty, but it's always dark by the time I get home from work.

    So kinetic has a super ghetto beta android app. Can't sync to heart rate, uploads to strava but with no actual ride data, etc.

    I do own a garmin forerunner 920xt watch. How can I best use this in combo with a training program like swift or trainer road?

    Get a garmin cadence sensor for the watch and only use the kinetic just for resistance?
    You have the inRide and their HR strap? With my iPhone, while not perfect I can get both to match up every time, sometimes it takes a couple minutes of mucking around. At the start of the winter season, my phone just would not detect the inRide sensor, so I did a hard boot and it worked…I suppose google Kinetic inRide hard boot.

    FYI, they have a new app as of last few weeks (Kinetic Fit) but it only works with a new updated sensor. Anybody with the old sensor can send it in for free to get the new one.

    I've been researching a lot of turbo trainer programs over the last few weeks as I'm responsible for setting up a periodized program for my clients and theres a LOT of information out there, most of it saying the same thing.
    For online info, starting with the following has been quite informative along with the table lower down the page linking from Base to Zones to Sweetspot, etc.
    http://roadcyclinguk.com/how-to/six-...EAGl0pG0qMI.97

    However, I'm finding too much of the literature seems to spend too much time in Zone 1-3. As a trainer with Kinesiology background this goes against everything I've learned and experienced. Unless your really just starting out with your fitness, and assuming you rode your bike last summer and fall and are skiing some or weight training over the winter, HIIT (high intensity interval training) will make for the most efficient use of your time, covering the adaptations of zone 1-3 training with increased neurological effects, aerobic and anaerobic capacity, strength, power, metabolism, etc. while minimizing your time on the trainer.

    The following link looks to be an effective program:
    http://home.trainingpeaks.com/blog/a...-training-plan

    And for those who only want to spend a couple days on the bike/week then Lee McCormack's Pump Up the Base actually looks legit and easy to follow:
    http://www.leelikesbikes.com/pump-up...g-program.html

  20. #45
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the shadows run from themselves
    Posts
    10,725
    I'm using the new kinetic app since it's the only thing available for android and a garmin HR strap. I just assumed it would work with the kinetic. I assumed wrong it looks.

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    1,196
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    I'm using the new kinetic app since it's the only thing available for android and a garmin HR strap. I just assumed it would work with the kinetic. I assumed wrong it looks.
    Then just get the old app (Kinetic inRide) If you go into the app, check what sensor and hr monitor it detects. If the sensor has a number in the name, its the old one, if it doesn't then its the new and should work with Kinetic Fit. Both apps work the same, the new one has more workouts than the old.

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    411
    Quote Originally Posted by ColMan View Post
    Zwift is well worth the $10/month when you're stuck inside. Pretty sweet that the resistance changes with the terrain or in a draft. I get a better workout trying to hold wheels, etc. than watching a movie.
    I tried Zwift but eventually switched back to TrainerRoad. Zwift is interesting but the 'structured' workouts aren't as good as TR's and I got bored watching the meaningless rider on the screen while doing their erg mode intervals. When you're locked into 275W or whatever, passing and being passed is meaningless so watching Netflix is better. TrainerRoad in terms of structure, kicks Zwift's ass. So many killer workouts and tons of variety. Especially if you mix in Sufferfest or other supported videos.

    For completely unstructured stuff Zwift was OK and not completely boring, but if I just want to noodle around and not do a real workout I'll go ride outside.

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    411
    Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    However, I'm finding too much of the literature seems to spend too much time in Zone 1-3. As a trainer with Kinesiology background this goes against everything I've learned and experienced. Unless your really just starting out with your fitness, and assuming you rode your bike last summer and fall and are skiing some or weight training over the winter, HIIT (high intensity interval training) will make for the most efficient use of your time, covering the adaptations of zone 1-3 training with increased neurological effects, aerobic and anaerobic capacity, strength, power, metabolism, etc. while minimizing your time on the trainer.
    People slowly seem to be figuring this out. Base is great if you're a real pro and have 30+hours a week to train in the early season. 99% of us aren't pros and have somewhere in the 8-12hrs/wk range available for the bike which means intensity is the answer. But lots of old school 'cycling coaches' still ignore the difference in available time between pros and amateurs and have people noodling around in Z2 all winter.

  24. #49
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the shadows run from themselves
    Posts
    10,725
    Fuck it. I'm gonna pay for trainer road. Kinetic app is garbage.

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    200
    I figured out other than heart rate- any time spent on the trainer was bonus time for me so just go for it. In most spin classes and structured rides they just use effort level and sometimes wattage which it sounds like you don't have anyway- so just go with perceived effort which can be measured by heart rate. in my opinion, going outside this for the average recreational rider is just extra bells and whistles you don't need. for programs, try peleton- super hot chicks, or even pro road riders teaching classes with mostly good music. i think i'm in love with Jessica King (or at least her two buddies):



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •