Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Line Pescado

This video is a little more up-to-date (i.e. he's actually skiing them):

The more I watch these videos, the more I just think: well sure. Any ski >100mm with tip rocker would be fun as fuck in conditions like those.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    The more I watch these videos, the more I just think: well sure. Any ski >100mm with tip rocker would be fun as fuck in conditions like those.
    Was just thinking the same thing...those are amazing conditions and he is a talented skier. Show me how it skis in chewed up pow after lunch, inbounds. :-)
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

So... anyone else had much time on these? Blister seems pleasantly surprised by them, and I love riding swallowtail short snowboards...

I think if I sell a few things these would fill the quiver spot of: mid winter pow tour/general pow resort ski quite well.

I have them. I love them. I expected them to provide a wonderful powder experience but I'm astonished at the firm snow performance too. They are so great that I'm unloading my 108mm rangers. No need for them anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by tharmor View Post
    I have them. I love them. I expected them to provide a wonderful powder experience but I'm astonished at the firm snow performance too. They are so great that I'm unloading my 108mm rangers. No need for them anymore.
    I read Pollard is in the process of developing a skinny version for this reason.

Andrew's skiing them now. He likes them.
    Says they are good on harder/groomed snow too.
    I thought he might also think they are too short but he says they have enough surface area that they feel good / stable. Plus he's like a ninja on them at that length. (He's about 6' /175 lbs)
    Of course i get to pick on him for having the same length skis as me now.
    They seemed to work ok

skid luxury

So anyone know who the area rep is for line in the SW Montana area? I'd like to fondle a pair... also hoping there are two models for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Climber Joe View Post
    So anyone know who the area rep is for line in the SW Montana area? I'd like to fondle a pair... also hoping there are two models for next year.
    No doubt... TGR will never buy until a 196 is available.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dunfee View Post
    No doubt... TGR will never buy until a 196 is available.
    Oh I meant width. I think the 180cm sounds money.

I dunno...funny that TGR forum crew is in general so obsessed with all things "gnarly".

I used to snowboard a lot. Then 10 years hiatus. Then tried I a 156 Burton Fish in the trees - kind of stoked to snowboard here and there again (used to ride 164-168cm boards)...with that shape you could take super tight lines any skier wouldn't usually hit (= more powder for you). I guess that ski is made to mimic that sama "fish shape" feel and agility. Think surfboards...lots of different shapes for different conditions, moods and personal styles...?

EDIT: just guessing here though...but I'd like to try that ski on pow/trees for sure, looks super fun! Lots of slashing and tight technical lines?
    Last edited by Jiehkevarri; 01-26-2017 at 04:15 AM.
    "Average summit heights are around 1000m to 1200m but on the high glaciers of the main Lyngen Peninsula there are summits over 1400m with Jiehkkevarri being the highest at 1834m above sea level."

For reverence. I'm old, 5 foot 898714 inches, 181.789 pounds and I was born on planet Shred. Ex-bump skier/freestyle guy. I like my skis playful and fun. I can drive big stiff skis but I have nothing to prove anymore and think skiing should be easy. Use 100-110 flex boots. Ski backwards for fun. Like all runs except icy groomers. Now thats out of the way...
    I now have skied them 2 days. Once on super soiled, stale, gravel infused, windblown,manky, packed packed packed powder, grey, grippy,played out resort snow and once on a Cat Ski excursion.
    Pretty much love this ski. Handled the resort just fine. Wouldn't be my first choice as a one ski quiver (duh!) but it handled the hardpack quite well. Super carvy and fairly easy to throw around. I have no problem on a 180cm because I'm only sort of rad and only occasionally get rowdy. Length felt fine. Skis like to be on edge. Snow was very fast on the resort day so didn't have them running flat very much. Swallow tail was pleasantly stiff and I didn't notice it much on the grey wind shit of the day.
    Powder day... I could ski anything in untracked snow and be loving life but for the sake of a ski review lets get to it.
    Incredibly easy to throw around. The rocker seems perfect and they floated with ease. The swallow tail really allowed me to pop the tips up on command and I could get really close to the trees, accelerating and decelerating whenever I felt like it. Push hard on the front of the boot and get snow all over your face. Lean back and giver to pop the tip up and drive forward again for another dreamy creamy shot to the face. Pin tails work as well but I love the look of the swallow tail. By far the best powder ski I have ever been on. Playful "smeary" and the sidecut really made it a fun ride. Glad I got these. One negative. Base seemed really dry. I have never had to wax a brand new ski.
    tl;dr... Fat ski with rocker and swallowtail works great in untracked powder.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Caribou Cat Skiing.JPG 
Views:	99 
Size:	745.6 KB 
ID:	198860
    Poser shot
    Last edited by jetski; 02-01-2017 at 06:20 PM.

So I got out on the Pescado yesterday. Conditions were anything from chopped up crud and windblown weirdness, to 2' of the pow. For reference, I am 5'9" 180# and I ski 100-130 days a year at work. I like to "jib the deep pow" as much as I like to rip big faces. I currently have 183cm Bent Chets (mounted WAY far back), and 185cm JJs, and 190 Elan Boomerangs I have been skiing.

First things first, I am buying a pair. They are absolute fun missles. The sidecut all the way to the tail, the camber, and "stiff for an EP" ski flex keeps them reliable and reactive. The swallow tail, overall short length, and light swing weight makes them the ultimate tree tool on a pow day. I found them extremely versatile in tight steep trees due to their extreme maneuverability, but stout enough to do just about anything with. They turn "sketchy" tight tree runnels into pillow stomp city.

While they did fine in chopped up crud, and were great on wind affected snow, I think these will reside in my touring/fresh snow only quiver slot. Most of the skiing I do at work isn't huge lines or big drops, so these will do everything I need them to. I wish they made a 184cm 110mm waist version too. I'd buy them both.

I will hopefully get to play around with mounting position, but I think they are either good as is, or could go back 1-2cm, but that is my usual thought on most skis.

Is mono skiing on pow surfers next...

Quote Originally Posted by WAlove View Post
    whatever floats your boat I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by WAlove View Post
    A mono touring setup is definitely my next purchase.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

A split noboard with dynafit toes and heels is not far away.

What's the construction like? Decent edges and bases, or flimsy?

Btw, why would a swallow tail ski automatically be like a different swallow tail ski made ages ago? That's right, it wouldn't. Just like two skis with tip rocker aren't necessarily one iota alike. Or two skis with tip/tail taper. It's just one design feature out of many that make up the whole package.

Same with surfboards. I have a 5'10 swallow for waist high to slightly overhead waves, and a 6'6 for serious (double overhead) waves. They are not remotely alike, except they're both swallows. (You get the drive of a straighter and wider tail, but the swallow cut out means you can still sink the tail to control the board. There are many other ways of reducing that tail area, and they all feel different)