Orvis Recon line weight question

I'm creating the budget for next year's fly fishing club and have decided on adding two 9wt Recons for pike and some other meaty fish, and some possible saltwater use. They will be paired with 9-11wt Access mid arbor reels.

I was wondering if anyone has experience with this rod. This past fall I lined up on a 9wt Echo Ion and love it, but not sure if this would work the same on the Orvis.

Also, Orvis fly lines? I'm more inclined to go SA or Rio.

Thanks.

SA makes Orvis lines. Send L8PX a pm, he more than likely designed the Recon. Nice rods for the monies.

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    SA makes Orvis lines. Send L8PX a pm, he more than likely designed the Recon. Nice rods for the monies.
    Awesome, will do.

What's your club all about? Is it like a pay to play, or just a camaraderie thing? Curious, because I'm involved in starting a new rod and gun club.

Quote Originally Posted by Underoos View Post
    What's your club all about? Is it like a pay to play, or just a camaraderie thing? Curious, because I'm involved in starting a new rod and gun club.
    Just a come and go for students at the Uni of Vermont. We get a decent amount of first timers, so having the gear to loan out gives them a good opportunity to get the feel for things. We do some casting clinics, fly tying, local trips, etc. The money comes from the student government association, basically ask for a certain amount once a year in a formal excel spreadsheet proposal explaining the reasoning for the requests and such, then they cut it in half.. But it's a pretty good deal so I can't complain.

I tried to set up some guided trips in the late summer/fall but members were not into paying out of pocket (even at killer discounted rates). I imagine this would be different for your club since you presumably won't be dealing with college kids.

Thanks snapT, PM responded to.
    Harvest the ride.