Ski repair advice needed

The skis are 2+ years old so I'm sure warranty is no option. The ptex base has separated about 2" from the tail on my wife's Kenjas. On both skis. So I'm gonna glue and clamp them. Problem is she musta gone backwards after the base came unglued so now there is a crease in the base which extends to each side about 2" from the tail. How do I get this crease out? Do I fire up a heat gun? I don't think glue and clamps will take it out. Are the skis trashed?

And wtf is up with Volkls lately? 2nd pair in a year that I've had some issue with.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Epoxy + heat gun + clamp the shit out of it. 2" from the tail is not used, so I don't see that as an issue. Still shouldn't be happening. I wouldn't be happy either.

this happened to my hoji's too on the tails and then the grated floors on the tram dock made it worse
    but the shop guys did just what strawjack said - heated, clamped and glued them and they held up and were totally fine so hopefully that will fix it for you too

Thanks to both of you. Just wanted to confirm this was correct approach

Too bad that they are a out of the warranty period. I had the same thing happen to my Mantra, got a new pair from Volkl this past fall.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    Were you thinking duct tape and super glue as the other approach?
    The other approach was the dumpster. Or a wine bottle holder. Or a shot ski...but they're only 163's.

Update. I messed with this the other night and IMO the heat gun is not a great idea because in order to soften the base enough to flatten the crease and bend it into the duck tail on these skis, you have to use enough heat that it 'grows' and then does not fit inside the wraparound edge. Even after it cools, it won't fit so I needed to trim it with a dremel. Way more work than I was expecting. Ski #2 I did without heat.

Ah, makes sense. I was assuming you'd need heat to flatten that crease, but I should have been more clear in my thoughts, although I'm not sure it would have worked. Epoxy it, then clamp, and then apply the heat while tweaking and adjusting the clamps. I would have used a metal scraper under the clamps. But hey, you got it done which is cool.

No worries, I was not expecting that either. Most of my experience with plastics and heat involved Shrinky Dinks as a 3rd grader. These shrunk when heated.

Wouldn't hurt to throw in a rivet or two either, hell K2 does iron a lot of their brand new skis.

Iron on bases

Peeled my whole base up after getting sidetracked and not realizing how long I had my wax iron on there for. I pulled the iron up in panic and the base came right up with it. I just ironed the base back on and it worked Maybe just try ironing it out next time?

Note, only about 40% serious here..

^^^Thanks but they're in a landfill in VT or upstate NY somewhere...I couldn't get the repair to hold up.