Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Roof Boxes - Latest and Greatest

Had a Thule Sonic for three plus years that split and shit the bed in the last week or so, which has me now looking for a replacement. Need enough for skis poles, etc. during winter, and general bike gear during the summer. Aerodynamics are important. Yakima lo pro looks nice, but I've lived in a world where Yakima was total garbage. Is this still the same?
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

Yakima is (and I assume Thule too, to be competitive) lifetime warranty. Did the Thule just crack on its own, or did you run it into something?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Yakima is (and I assume Thule too, to be competitive) lifetime warranty. Did the Thule just crack on its own, or did you run it into something?
    Partial user error. I already checked and not covered under warranty.

I was going to recommend Packasport but they might be out of business. I can't find any info online anymore. Might look for a used one. They are far superior to anything Yakima or Thule offers.

With all your money and connections to Israel, can't you hire some Israeli artisans to create a one-of-a-kind Parking Lot Preener Box for $50k USD (don't know what that is in Israeli money)?

Good to see you back here, though. Still putting the emphasis on how you look, rather than how you perform?

Rack Attack in Framingham has all of them on display. And Summit Ski and Sport is right across the street...
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    Rack Attack in Framingham has all of them on display. And Summit Ski and Sport is right across the street...
    Amazing that the two places in the country that RackAttack has a retail outlet is Denver and Boston.

Weird... I like them. Very friendly.

If you use a Mac, you definitely need this one:

And Benny's favorite:

Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Yakima boxes are fine products. If you already have subscribed to one brand over the other, it's nice to keep it consistent so that you can have matching locks and fewer keys.

Depending on how damaged your box is, it's easy enough to repair cracks with fiberglass and epoxy.

Hope packasport has not given up the ghost. I need a few replacement parts and I have been very happy with the box so far.

I'm having trouble accessing the Inno USA site, but this

Been using one for years. Low drag. Super durable. Opens either side. etc., etc...
    Last edited by spindrift; 01-22-2016 at 12:11 PM.

Done and

Done.

Packasport seems to be fully in biz here: http://www.packasport.com

When I last looked, the Innos weighed like 30-40% less than the equivalent Packasport.

Love that none of these fit skis over 185. Need something I can fit a 190 into though probably could just stuff the longer skis in diagonally.

Unless they have changed the size the Inno (which they might have), I readily get 190+ skis in. Really wide tips can pose challenges if you try to put those in the narrow end.

Quote Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
    Unless they have changed the size the Inno (which they might have), I readily get 190+ skis in. Really wide tips can pose challenges if you try to put those in the narrow end.
    Thanks for that. Interestingly, no matter what the size of the Inno box, it says the max ski length is 180. Packasport is definitely a premium to the others, and wonder if it is worth the extra $$ over time.

Plus another $200 to ship a Packasport.

If you are actually interested in the Inno, LMK & I'll measure mine. On longer skis, I do need to position them carefully so that they don't get clipped by the hinge at each end. Not a big deal once you know the gig. I can throw 3 pair in without paying attention. Takes a tiny bit of setup to put 4 pair in. I think I have squeezed 5 in a couple time by laying shorter ones on top as singles. In addition to 1-2 (maybe 3 sometimes) in the 190 zone, we usually have 1-2 in the 180 zone which makes avoiding the hinges pretty easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rontele View Post
    Love that none of these fit skis over 185. Need something I can fit a 190 into though probably could just stuff the longer skis in diagonally.
    I can fit 202 lotus 138's in the Packasport system 90. While not as light as the plastic boxes, in my experience they are more durable and easier to use. Ive been very happy with mine for the last 5 years.
    "College sailing isn't about who wins the most races, its about who can stand in the morning"

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    Packasport seems to be fully in biz here: http://www.packasport.com
    Huh, when I posted this morning it said that site was shutdown.

Quote Originally Posted by swerve View Post
    I can fit 202 lotus 138's in the Packasport system 90. While not as light as the plastic boxes, in my experience they are more durable and easier to use. Ive been very happy with mine for the last 5 years.
    What car are you running it on? Just had a nice talk with the folks there (they called after I sent them an email asking questions) and they recommended the 90.

I checked and saw the same thing. Lots of room for long skis in my Packasport 90.

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    I checked and saw the same thing. Lots of room for long skis in my Packasport 90.
    Loads super slow for me, but it does eventually come up.
    Also have an older 90 (must be 17 years old at this point), it's been repainted a couple times now.
    It will take longer skis though and it's pretty damn tough.

My packasport 90 easily holds 200+ cm skis. Try craigslist. Bought mine with a scuffed finish, funky seal and busted lock for cheap. no shipping. minimal expense and time to replace the seal and lock.