Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

2016 Freeride World Tour

Starts this weekend (1/23) at Vallnord-Arcalis in Andorra. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3k...arcali-s_sport

Supposedly, this will be the livestream feed: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3l...-webcast_sport

Tour preview: http://www.powder.com/stories/first-...z3Pvflt4twt.97

Sam Smoothy profile, and link to his bonkers run last year at Vallnord: http://freeskier.com/stories/kiwi-ki...ide-world-tour

Powder.com profile of George Rodney, last year's champ: http://www.powder.com/stories/interv...CpA71rVzbmx.97

Some great skiing today!

Chatted with Martin Lentz at SB over the weekend. I'm so excited to see so many former junior competitors getting to the big show. I've watched quite a few of them compete since they were 13 or so. Pretty neat to see them succeeding and literally changing the way the FWT looks. Wishing all the athletes good luck!

I don't get it, but the event was held today (the 22nd). Here's the URL for playback with indexing (to select rides individually):

http://freerideworldtour.com/calenda...llnord-arcalis

Cheers,
    Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Go sweden1
    Looking for the next turn..

Congrats to the Swede rookie, and Squaw's Jackie Passo!

Top 3 Men Ski FWT Vallnord-Arcalís Andorra :
    1- Kristoffer Turdell (SWE) - 90.50pts
    2- Jérémie Heitz (SUI) - 87.50pts
    3- Ivan Malakhov (RUS) - 86.63pts

Top 3 Women Ski FWT Vallnord-Arcalís Andorra :
    1- Jackie Paaso (USA) - 70.00pts
    2- Eva Walkner (AUT) - 68.5pts
    3- Evelina Nilsson (SWE) - 66.75pts

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    I don't get it, but the event was held today (the 22nd). Here's the URL for playback with indexing (to select rides individually):

http://freerideworldtour.com/calenda...llnord-arcalis

Cheers,
    Thom
    That playback feature for individual riders is awesome. I haven't that before, but it is brilliant.
    JigaRex Universal Ski Mounting Jig

Yeah the replay is fucking sweet!

Seems like Tabke was way underscored but WTF do I know.

edit: Gawd these commentators are just retarded.
    Last edited by beaterdit; 01-22-2016 at 03:46 PM.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Kristoff's air was phenomenal. It looks like he was never more than a couple feet from the rocks for the entire massive drop, straight to a perfect transition.
    JigaRex Universal Ski Mounting Jig

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    Yeah the replay is fucking sweet!

edit: Gawd these commentators are just retarded.
    I like McFly (the German dude). He's been a judge in the past. Think about how stupid 90% of the NFL fanboy shill announcers are, and maybe this'll help. The selectable replays are great.

Cheers,
    Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

I don't watch NFL but I would expect them to be retards as well. I have higher expectations for FWT but hey.

Quote Originally Posted by davieboot View Post
    Kristoff's air was phenomenal. It looks like he was never more than a couple feet from the rocks for the entire massive drop, straight to a perfect transition.
    Almost looked like he even skipped off a couple. Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post

Unless I missed something Drew got massively underscored. His 3 was as stomped as you could get with that flat landing and deep snow. Everything else was perfect. Lopez's skiing wasn't even close in comparison and he outscored him 82-68. Awesome comp though.

Quote Originally Posted by str8line View Post
    Unless I missed something Drew got massively underscored. His 3 was as stomped as you could get with that flat landing and deep snow. Everything else was perfect. Lopez's skiing wasn't even close in comparison and he outscored him 82-68. Awesome comp though.
    Right? His line was great, great hudge trick and he was smooth as always.

I don't like Lopez' skiing he looks like a spaz.
    /amateur opinion

They really docked Tabke for that hip check on the 360. Thought even with that he deserved to be a bit ahead of Reine and Lopez. Way better line score. Like way better. More creativity. More "wow" factor. And Reine and Lopez had momentary losses of control as well.

Rodney is crazy. That first air was ridiculous. Always going for the win. Still watching the replay. Stoked!

Oh ya. And Mr. Heitz definitely throwing down in a major way! So fast!

Kristoffer that air was huge! Deserving win.
    Also in reference to the judging above...just shows how hard it is to get it right in the "middle of the pack" with so many scores and runs to remember. Hugo Harrison and Brant Moles two of the judges. Can't get more experienced in the comp scene than that.

^really thought Loic got underscored as well.
    And than Ivan Malakov in 3rd. Really? With that huge stop killing all fluidity and a big backslap.
    Fun comp though as always. Level stepped up every year. Looking forward to the next one!

I think Harrison really docks them for backslaps since he stomped practically everything in his day. Maybe a bit too much.

didn't realize Huge was a judge too....that being said, Tabke's score was the only one that seemed off...everything else seemed more or less pretty on point. Awesome to see Logan Pehota up there with a solid run as well.

Tabke was ~10 points low, logic was about 5...

Judging these is so hard. The rest of the results were right, I may have given Jeremie the win
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

They need to be able to bump scores around at the end. They have done it before but Tabkes run should have been in the low 80s. I know mcfly has to keep the conversation and excitement up in the booth like the WSL commentators but damn judges Take got underscored for his 3 in AK as well.

2016 Freeride World Tour

Reaching a bit here but... they may have docked him more than others because he likely backslapped due to poor cliff choice (line choice - deep flat landing)?

And Dani... ouch, that's an ACL for sure. I could feel those ligaments snapping.

a little shocked at the announcers. i've only watched these a couple times. is this course typical? not that it's not challenging but basically they navigate 2 technical sections, right? one at the top, then the flats, then another before the bottom, then a long runout?

skiers are definitely more graceful and fluid in this environment.

my 4 year old and i have been watching the replay for an hour. a lot of really close calls with rocks. not much room for error. i didn't mean to minimize the less interesting parts of the course. i was expecting more technical sections.

I think it goes back to what I always said to everyone when I was competing. "The winner is 99% of the time obvious. Usually the rest of the podium is as well. But not always. The rest of the standings is a crap shoot."

I've always thought the results should be unofficial and then video review done after the comp to make sure they got it right. Some dudes ski careers and opportunities are on the line. Obviously that doesn't play to a live webcast though and there would be a lot of other issues. Which brings me back to just enjoy the hell out of it!

Surf comps have it easy. Head to head.

agreed, tabke got screwed. Looks pretty dialed for the line to me. on the other hand he has had better scores than I thought warranted in past comps so it is just the way these things go.