Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Yeah, that was joke because it sounds expensive. Ti parts sound nice.

You should consider losing the Ti-fatuation. It's not going to buy you anything.

I'm open to aluminum. But, I would like to avoid going down the TGR rabbit hole of a $6,000 carbon downhill bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    I'm open to aluminum. But, I would like to avoid going down the TGR rabbit hole of a $6,000 carbon downhill bike.
    Just for illustration:

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/list...00&wheelsize=8

^^^ That link is like a trip down memory lane.

There are some good deals on 26" bikes right now because they're out of fashion. As noted, for your budget, you will get so much more bang for your buck with aluminum.
    And fit is way more important than bling.

eta: I'd stick with middle of the road in terms of design, i.e. not downhill, not weight weenie xc. Jack of all, master of none. 4-5 inches of travel, air not coil.

What size are you looking for? I have a small '07 Enduro S Works that needs to find a new home.

Might find a used version of these:
    https://lynskeyperformance.com/full-suspension/

Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post
    eta: I'd stick with middle of the road in terms of design, i.e. not downhill, not weight weenie xc. Jack of all, master of none. 4-5 inches of travel, air not coil.
    All sounds good and reasonable but why air and not coil?

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    What size are you looking for? I have a small '07 Enduro S Works that needs to find a new home.
    Thinking XL (6' 4").

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    Might find a used version of these:
    https://lynskeyperformance.com/full-suspension/
    They came up in a search for US manufacturers today and look good.

Thinking XL (6' 4").
    You should probably be thinking XXL.

The SC Blur was always a super smooth, fun ride. http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/13227636/

I said air not coil because...

Coil was the norm for all-mountain-to-freeride-y bikes about 10-15 years ago (my memory might be fuzzy on the timeline) because they were simple and strong. And because the available air shocks weren't all that great. Some riders saw that the same mods motorcycle racers were doing could be applied to mtb so companies like Push (and others) created a niche market re-valving air shocks with the manufacturers playing catch up. The upshot was that air shocks got really good, and companies didn't have to use a coil on "bigger" bikes. And the same shock would now cover a larger range of riders due to much better tunablity.

That said, if you want a coil because you're really big, or ride like an animal, go right ahead. But you don't necessarily need it.

And people have the tendency to over-buy. Very few of the riders I see on 35 lb mtn bikes or 13 lb road bikes actually ride them hard/well enough to justify them.

Yeah, that was joke because it sounds expensive. Ti parts sound nice.
    maybe we should talk. i like to see it go to a good home if i ever depart with it.

Many thanks for the information and recommendations. Sat on bikes from Specialized, Cannondale, Trek, and Jamis today. Everything looks and feels so similar.

@pisteoff - Good history. I vaguely recall the original RockShox being air/oil. Then they went to coil spring. And then the elastomer Manitous came out. And now air is back en vogue but it sounds like the tech is improved.

@Cosmic - Sounds good. I'll shoot over a PM.

Also rode an electric bike for the first time. Don't recall the make or model but pedaling was required; no throttle. Pretty neat.

If you are coming from a 26" c-dale hard tail, you might be fine with 29" Ti hard tail. That is the replacement I did, the Ti and big wheels rides much smoother. But I also have a full suspension bike.