Photo TR: Three Days in St. George

There's not much riding to be had these days around Boulder, so last week I decided to make the 9 hour drive down to St. George, UT to ride for a few days and scout out some things for my company's spring/fall trips. Although the big-ticket rides weren't doable thanks to snow from the previous week, my friend and I were still able to have a blast on the lower trails.

There's SO much to ride within 30 minutes of town that I could easily spend weeks in that area and still keep myself busy. Not to mention other places like Zion NP, Snow Canyon SP, etc. It's such a beautiful area with incredible views in every direction.

Day 1: Santa Clara Trails (Barrel Roll, Sidewinder, Suicidal Tendencies)

Day 2: Hurricane Rim (shortened by mud) and Boy Scout Loops

The newly-built Boy Scout Loops get mixed reviews. For the record, I personally think they're fun... in a different kind of way. Don't go out there expecting to ride fast and smooth trails- these are fairly technical, and tight and twisty in layout. I had fun, but I can see how people are disappointed.

Day 3: Zen Trail (short day, we had to leave at lunch)

In short, the Zen Trail is incredible... the only unfortunate thing about it is that it's only ~6 miles long. If I lived in St. George, two loops of the Zen Trail would be my go-to ride. Such a great, diverse trail with something for everyone; an absolute must-ride in my book.

Great Pics! I'm headed down there next weekend, weather permitting.

Your company looks cool as well. I've been kicking around a similar idea based in Montana and the West Coast.

Awesome pics and report. Working on planning a week long bike trip this spring that'll probably be near Moab, but might make it out to St. George. Are you riding with a DSLR?

Very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by tBatt View Post
    Awesome pics and report. Working on planning a week long bike trip this spring that'll probably be near Moab, but might make it out to St. George. Are you riding with a DSLR?
    Yep, I use a 70D and the 18-135mm STM lens. Fairly light for such a great combo.

This has me this close:
    /...../
    To giving up a weekend of skiing to head to the desert...
    Maybe if we get a high pressure ridge.

Great shots and good quick rundown.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    This has me this close:
    /...../
    To giving up a weekend of skiing to head to the desert...
    Maybe if we get a high pressure ridge.

Great shots and good quick rundown.
    Depending on where you go and when it is, hit me up... I'm always down to head back.

Pics make it look like you rode Zen clockwise?

^^^ Just for pictures. We rode it CCW, but we stopped on the climb a few times to shoot... mostly so we didn't have to stop on the CCW downhill section.

Nice! Kinda makes me wanna ride but the skiing has just been too damn good lately.

Zen is really fun, if you add a lap on Barrel and Bearclaw Poppy it makes for a nice longer ride.

Great pics

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    ^^^ Just for pictures. We rode it CCW, but we stopped on the climb a few times to shoot... mostly so we didn't have to stop on the CCW downhill section.
    Ok, good. I was gonna say it gets even better CCW. Love that trail.

Cool pics

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Yep, I use a 70D and the 18-135mm STM lens. Fairly light for such a great combo.
    How do you store it when riding? Separate bag for the camera, or a big backpack?

Quote Originally Posted by tBatt View Post
    How do you store it when riding? Separate bag for the camera, or a big backpack?
    Right now I use a LowePro Photo Sport 200, and it's a pretty nice pack. It has a separate side-load compartment for a DSLR/lens, plus room for a second bigger lens like my 70-200 f/4L. My only beef is that the rest of the pack isn't entirely practical for biking. Plenty of room to put stuff, but I'm not a huge fan of the layout and the compartments. That being said, it's the best backpack I've ridden with because it's light, comfortable, and doesn't feel like you're carrying a small child on your back.

http://www.amazon.com/Photo-Sport-20...hoto+sport+200

Hoping to be riding down that way on Monday. Probably heading down from Alta tomorrow night and back up Tues morning. Anyone gonna be in the area riding?

I should have been there...

Good work, boys.
    You should have been here yesterday!