Scott Alpride Airbag - Travel?

Anyone tried traveling with one of these yet? Apparently they are good to go, but knowing TSA, I'm not so sure...

I'm headed to Japan next week and hoping to not have any issues.

Crickets...

Real report:

Inflatable life vest with argon screwed to fitting, co2 cartridge in baggy with docs from original life vest, all in stuff sack with iata and tsa infatable airbag docs. I put this in one piece of luggage. I mentioned at the airport that inflatable life jacket was in bag.

Airbag guts without cylinders in alpride stuff sack in ski bag. Received a note from tsa that the bag was investigated.

Alpride backpack used as carry on without guts.

No problems. Flew SEA, YVR, HND, CTS.

Did it work for you without the inflatable life jacket gymnastics? I have a sailboat, so the life jacket made sense for me. I went to ICI sports in Sapporo last night, the most well stocked ski shop I've ever been to, but there were no Alpride products to be found.

Thanks Steve. Apparently a shop in Furano sells Alpride, but that's a ways from Niseko and Sapporo.

Shit, I was in Furano a couple days ago. I looked for a decent ski shop to buy some other gear and only found piss poor selections. I guess I looked in the wrong place.

I thought the trigger was looking kind of funny the other day, so I removed the cylinders and pulled the trigger while I was riding the gondola at Kiroro. Then I replaced the cylinders and loaded the trigger. FUCK, I partially inflated it in the gondola and shot my wad. I was by myself and was able to repack before the top, but for some reason I forgot that the cylinders go in last.

Did a Japan trip January 2019.

2 people, travelled with 2 alpride bags and 4 sets of cartridges.

Wrapped cartridges in IATA rules. Put 1 set of cartridges in each of 4 checked bags.

SLC-LAX-HND out
    NRT-PDX-SLC return

All 4 sets of cartridges made it to Japan. On the return trip, the much more careful Japanese security confiscated 2 of 4. No extra drama at all. All in all, a win.

Flew RNO>SEA>Kelowna in the last month, me with old BCA float and wife with new alpride.

No worries. I took BCA as carry on to Canada with top & bottle (disconnected) in ziplock freezer bag with set of new o-rings - no worries, I crammed it in my luggage in same state on the return no worries. Gracie Law crammed the alpride into her luggage and it showed up to and from Canada no hassle.

On the other hand careful flying into Kelowna, half our crew had luggage concerns, none cost ski days only sleep. Maybe schedule a day of resort skiing or chill time if you are headed there for heli or lodge trip, we were close to needing to charter a heli into the lodge half a day late.
    Like I told my last wife, I never drive faster than I can see, besides it's all in the reflexes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave.M View Post
    Did a Japan trip January 2019.

2 people, travelled with 2 alpride bags and 4 sets of cartridges.

Wrapped cartridges in IATA rules. Put 1 set of cartridges in each of 4 checked bags.

SLC-LAX-HND out
    NRT-PDX-SLC return

All 4 sets of cartridges made it to Japan. On the return trip, the much more careful Japanese security confiscated 2 of 4. No extra drama at all. All in all, a win.
    Dave is that you??? Dave?????

Any recent experience with this system for air travel within the U.S.?
    This new model sure is tempting:
    http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com...80002S_M1.html
    TSA is very clear that the very similar systems for life vests = okay ... but of course that's not *exactly* what this is, and any other non-medical gas cylinders/cartridges are expressly prohibited.
    (And please, no references to IATA, which has zero relevance for TSA. I have also emailed TSA.)
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Just get the Scott Patrol E1 AP 30 supercapacitor powered avi pack and have no air travel restrictions at all. Well worth the upcharge for hassle free travel and free practice pulls. Or you can get the E1 system in a Black Diamong pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    Just get the Scott Patrol E1 AP 30 supercapacitor powered avi pack and have no air travel restrictions at all. Well worth the upcharge for hassle free travel and free practice pulls. Or you can get the E1 system in a Black Diamong pack.
    I was thinking of that too:
    http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com...81324_cfg.html
    Like you wrote, zero travel worries, and super-easy system reset.
    But pretty significant weight penalty...
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series