Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dschane View Post
    It seems to be alive and perhaps even growing in our little town. But we're like 10-15 years behind the cultural trends. I thought the Internet would have equalized that, but no.

Voile is pretty durable too, though certainly not up there with Bomber, but it's really freakin easy to replace a heel throw, which is the most likely failure point. I never thought of 22D bindings as indestructible -- powerful for skiing, but lots of breakable parts. And no one can with AT binding weights and AT boot range of motion, but efficiency has never been a reason to tele.
    Ironically I have old school Voile Mountaineers (3-pin) on light touring rig and no issues ever. Granted I'm on T4s and skiing only low-angle, but even so. Bindings with only two parts fail a whole lot less. Maybe I should try those with my T-Races. : )

Quote Originally Posted by ski-wpk View Post
    I have old school Voile Mountaineers (3-pin) [and] T4s and skiing only low-angle
    Good for you. Nordic gear for Nordic terrain. Alpine gear for alpine terrain.

No way. There's your back up set! I always felt like a better skier after riding the lifts on light weight gear, generally skiing the same "alpine" terrain as i would on beefier gear.

Quote Originally Posted by jmedslc View Post
    i'm having a difficult time imagining how you were able to 'break' a 22designs steel toe box. how did you manage that?
    Smelly has the answer
    Quote Originally Posted by Tele 'til You're Smelly View Post

Knee-to-ski skiing style would I guess be the biggest reason for tele binding destruction- if not wed to it, consider a more upright stance!
    Gotta admit, this is exactly what I pictured happening!
    You a knee to ski guy wpk?

'edit- maybe you should look into the tech toe systems and do away with the toe box altogether. TTS or the new Meidjo from M Equipment. Gonna need NTN boots with tech inserts though
    Last edited by tuco; 01-13-2016 at 12:35 PM.

Yup. Knee pads get a lot of abuse.

On the TTS subject. I am mostly interested in a light meadow skipping tele setup. This guy made a Axl TTS setup that supposedly works for knee to the ski style and any conditions

For light meadow skipping, knee to ski seems a bit unnecessary. TTS (with Dynafit toes) is wicked light and pretty sweet. 3-pin is still lighter. One down side with the TTS for meadow skipping is that the cable holds the heal down like no other tele binding, so for uphills and flats, it would be a little annoying. You'd either fight the resistance or spend time unlatching the heel piece. Then, with if you have only the toes latched, kicking and gliding isn't as effective as it is with a 3-pin. So, it depends on your meadows.

Bumping this thread to give big props to Black Diamond for an awesome warranty. Got a replacement R toe box three days after submitting a claim online, then after remounting the R toe box, realized the L side wasn't really broken but had a lot of extra movement once engaging the cable, unlike the new R side. Sent in another claim asking how to fix this and BD sent me another binding. L toe box. Awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by idahospud View Post
    I've got a set of Axls that I'd happily sell for a good price.
    So I am WAY late to the game! You still have those Axls?

I believe I purchased those last fall.
    Mounted 'em on some 105s Christmas Day.
    Uno mas

Ironically I have old school Voile Mountaineers (3-pin) on light touring rig and no issues ever. Granted I'm on T4s and skiing only low-angle, but even so. Bindings with only two parts fail a whole lot less. Maybe I should try those with my T-Races. : )
    http://www.burntmtn.com/00SPIKE3pin/sp3pinindex.html

I skied these on a pair of Justices for a few seasons w/candy cane T-races before my knees started to talk back.

Mid-turn in chopped up powder trees, I just just heard a snap. Not much to it. Didn't even hit the deck. I ski hard but at 6'3" 180 I'm definitely not the biggest. I drop deep though and tend to bury a lot of gear.
    post a vid of you skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by jmedslc View Post
    post a vid of you skiing.
    All my wife had on her phone. Deep knee the issue you think?

https://youtu.be/YEtPIChdOio

I don't, but I also ski on the low side except in easy terrain.

Tall, big boots and deep knee turns are hard on gear. I am a little bigger than you and have been happy about switching to NTN but my freedoms are wearing out on season 3, I would suggest outlaws. TTS tours really well but the setup I have doesn't promote low knee, I need longer springs. I am thinking of getting an alpine setup for inbounds charging and keeping the tele for backcountry pow

Hammerheads.
    A few-ish (?) years ago I had problems, 22D told me they had a random bad batch of plastic. Really brittle. I broke lots of parts. My uneducated guess: as it wallered out, the wiggle room allowed stuff to fail around it. Plastic and metal both. I also saw a toe box fail.
    Everything I broke, they replaced. No problems since.
    I tour a lot. Big skis, OG Hammerheads, and a 4 buckle boot is all I know.
    Ignorance is bliss.

I mounted some 22Designs Outlaws (NTN) for a friend last week. They seemed really bomber.

Quote Originally Posted by Doremite View Post
    I believe I purchased those last fall.
    Mounted 'em on some 105s Christmas Day.
    Nice!

All my wife had on her phone. Deep knee the issue you think?

https://youtu.be/YEtPIChdOio
    I dunno - you do have what some might call "flow". Think of it as a moment of extra pressure on the system. It looks like you add pressure at some turn exit/entry point. Here's an alpine example.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-dxSAllXoks

Add big boots, moguls, body weight - just seems like you've broken enough bindings that you are the common factor. Having said that your turns look pretty good

I'd vote to upgrade your bindings to Voile Switchback X2 or Axls (Vice if you don't tour). Any binding can break (my neighbor busted his 3rd Dynafits the other day), though alpine bindings can take far more abuse. G3 Targas are known to have problems. 4-hole BD 01s too. From that clip, I wouldn't say you're putting excessive pressure on those tele traps. They should be able to handle it.

Touring in HHs over Axls is blissful ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I mounted some 22Designs Outlaws (NTN) for a friend last week. They seemed really bomber.
    I would totally switch to those for my next binder, IF they fix the step in with brakes problem. At this point, brakes and step in are both on my non-negotiable list.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I would totally switch to those for my next binder, IF they fix the step in with brakes problem. At this point, brakes and step in are both on my non-negotiable list.
    What problem is that? I haven't been reading earnyourturns regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    What problem is that? I haven't been reading earnyourturns regularly.
    I don't generally read there either (though happened to read today, and it sounds like it may be fixed?), but from what I gather, the step in feature works pretty well (not flawless but well) when the brakes are not installed. But when the brakes are installed, it's darn near impossible to step in for many people. But, next year's version may have fixed this.

I don't need new bindings, the Freedoms I have work fine, but when I do, it might be Outlaw, or maybe the elusive holy grail that's going to come from Bishop.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by dschane View Post
    I'd vote to upgrade your bindings to Voile Switchback X2 or Axls (Vice if you don't tour). Any binding can break (my neighbor busted his 3rd Dynafits the other day), though alpine bindings can take far more abuse. G3 Targas are known to have problems. 4-hole BD 01s too. From that clip, I wouldn't say you're putting excessive pressure on those tele traps. They should be able to handle it.

Touring in HHs over Axls is blissful ignorance.
    Most of my skis are now mounted with Vices (love the tour feature on Axls but figured more things to break compared to Vices). No breakage of bindings this season, just skis - snapped a new Cham 2.0 107 right at the front two screws on a pair of Vices. Hoping Dynastar is kind with their warranty.

Definitely moving to NTN eventually but need to wear our current boots and quiver first. Saw an Instagram vid today of step in (with brakes) Outlaw X's. Pretty sweet.

Rottefella no longer makes the red stiff springs for the Freerides, so if you like NTN and like power, the Outlaws seem like the only choice.