Thread: Jazz Fest 2016

Jazz Fest 2016

Pretty credible sneak-peak at this spring's headliners. Full line-up by weekend expected next week.

Stevie Wonder, Pearl Jam, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Neil Young, Snoop Dog, Paul Simon, Van Morrison, My Morning Jacket, Gary Clark Jr., Johny Lang, Buddy Guy, Mavis Staples, Dr. John, Govt Mule, Arlo Gunthrie, Boz Scaggs, Tedeschi Trucks, Snarky Puppy, BB King Tribute, and Allen Tousaint Tribute.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

are you going?
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    are you going?
    Magic 8-ball says 'very likely'. Need to see how the weekends line out...

Here's the sneak peek at the next level acts:

Elvis Castello, Bonnie Raitt, Julio Iglesias, Herbie Hancok & Wayne Shorter, Michael McDonald, Maxwell, Lauryn Hill, Galactic, Janelle Monae, Preservation Hall, Kermit Ruffins, The Isley Brother, Maze Featuring Frankie Beverly, Chris Botti, Grace Potter, Brandi Carlile, Buffy Sainte Marie, Aaron Neville, Arturo Sandoval, Ellis Marsalis, Irma Thomas, CeCe Winans, Taj Mahal, Terence Blanchard, Gregory Porter, The Lone Bellow, Punch Brother, Elvin Bishop, John Hammond, Alpha Blondy, Rhiannon Giddens, Elle King, Ivan Neville's Dumpstaphunk with Art Neville, Rebirth, Jonathan Batiste, Big Freedia, Mystikal...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

My inlaws live in NO. They're always trying to get me to come down for Jazz Fest. I need to take them up on it sometime, perhaps this year?

Quote Originally Posted by flowtron's ghost View Post
    My inlaws live in NO. They're always trying to get me to come down for Jazz Fest. I need to take them up on it sometime, perhaps this year?
    Lodging is the single most challenging expense, with airfare not too far behind. Food/drink/shows are all pretty reasonable.

The weekend lineups should be out in the next couple days, I'll put them up here; the day-by-day doesn't come out til March sometime, but knowing who's on which weekend is the bigger deal...Any solid music fan should go at least once....having a total of ten stages and tents with different kinds of music, awesome food, fun scene...

I so want to go, it's high on the list, but I don't think this is the year. We'll see.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Meters just announced a reunion concert first Friday at the newly renovated Orpheum. Just saw Billy Gibbons and the BFG's there a month ago, venue is simply stunning, and great musically.

Here's some of the funk the Meters were bringing 42 years ago, and they've still got it! [fast-forward to 20:00 or so to get to some good stuff...]

My wife has family in NOLA... we've been wanting to go for years. Now, with 2 kids under 4 years old... it may be a little difficult... but that lineup...
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Damn... that is a hell of a show. Never been, either. Just may have to do this since we missed Woodstock.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Jazz Fest is one of the best festivals I've ever been to. Can't wait to go back. Maybe this is the year.
    JigaRex Universal Ski Mounting Jig

Lineups just announced. 'Cubes' with the stages and times usually hit in March.

These are just the top dozen or two each day, complete list is available here

Friday, April 22

Steely Dan, Janelle Monae, Gov't Mule, Michael McDonald, Grace Potter, The Subdudes, Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings, Kermit Ruffins and the Barbecue Swingers, Buckwheat Zydeco, Donald Harrison Jr., Geri Allen: The Erroll Garner Jazz Project, Cowboy Mouth, Christian Scott, The Black Lilies, Walter Trout, Steve Riley and the Mamou Playboys, New Orleans Classic Recording Divas featuring The Dixie Cups, Wanda Rouzan and Jean Knight, Hot 8 Brass Band, Flow Tribe,

Saturday, April 23

Pearl Jam, Van Morrison, Maxwell, Boz Scaggs, Galactic, Alpha Blondy & The Solar System, Brothers Osborne, Mystikal, Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats, Big Sam's Funky Nation, Anders Osborne, Tab Benoit, Leo Nocentelli,Naturally 7, John Hammond, DeJohnette•Coltrane•Garrison, The Garifuna Collective of Belize, Joe Krown Trio featuring Walter "Wolfman" Washington and Russell Batiste, Jr., Bobby Cure Band & the New Orleans R&B Revue featuring Clarence "Frogman" Henry, Al "Carnival Time" Johnson, Robert Parker, Sammy Ridgley, and Jo "Cool" Davis, Tribute to Jelly Roll Morton featuring Henry Butler, Butch Thompson and Dr. Michael White, Anthony Brown & group therAPy, Jarekus Singleton, James Andrews & the Crescent City Allstars,

Sunday, April 24

Red Hot Chili Peppers, Nick Jonas, J.Cole, Herbie Hancock & Wayne Shorter Duo, Julio Iglesias, Jonny Lang, Better Than Ezra, Elle King, Rhiannon Giddens, CeCe Winans, Voice Of the Wetlands All Stars, Taj Mahal & The Trio, Big Chief Monk Boudreaux & the Golden Eagles Mardi Gras lndians, Amanda Shaw, Dédé Saint Prix Band of Martinique, Henry Butler & Jambalaya, Terence Blanchard featuring the E-Collective, Imagination Movers, Glen David Andrews, Royal Teeth, BeauSoleil avec Michael Doucet, The Garifuna Collective of Belize, Leyla McCalla, Ed Wolker's Quintet Narcosis, The New Orleans Suspects, Little Freddie King Blues Band, Herlin Riley Quintet, The Iguanas, Dr. Michael White & the Original Liberty Jazz Band with Thais Clark, The Zion Harmonizers,

Thursday, April 28

Tedeschi Trucks Band & Friends, Elvis Costello & The Imposters, Gary Clark Jr., Flo Rida, Brandi Carlile, Buffy Sainte-Marie, Cyril Neville & Swampfunk, Snarky Puppy, Sonny Landreth, Bernard Allison Group, Corey Harris Band Lost Bayou Ramblers with special guest Spider Stacy, Pine LeafBoys, George Porter Jr. & Runnin' Pardners, Meschiya Lake and The Little Big Horns, Bruce Daigrepont Cajun Band, Jonathan McReynolds, Wageirale Drummers of Belize, The Suffers, Helen Gillet, New Birth Brass Band, Stephanie Jordan,

Friday, April 29

Paul Simon, My Morning Jacket, Ms. Lauryn Hill, Irma Thomas, Elvin Bishop Los Lobos perform La Pistola Y El Corazon, Jazmine Sullivan, Honey Island Swamp Band, Bonerama, Dirty Dozen Brass Band, The Revivalists, John Boutté, Wayne Toups, John Mooney & Bluesiana, Cash Box Kings, Terrance Simien & the Zydeco Experience, Sweet Pain featuring Chico Ramos and Supa Gof Belize, Irwin Mayfield & the New Orleans Jazz Orchestra, Creole String Beans with special guest T.K. Hulin, Joe Lovano, Us Five, C.J. Chenier & the Red Hot Louisiana Band,

Saturday, April 30

Stevie Wonder, Snoop Dogg, Beck, Buddy Guy, Dr. John & The Nitesrippers, Preservation Hall Jazz Band, Jon Batiste and Stay Human, Hurray for the Riff Raff, The Lone Bellow, Gregory Porter, Rebirth Brass Band, Big Freedia, Arturo Sandoval, Kermit Ruffins' Tribute to Louis Armstrong, The Soul Rebels, Nathan & the Zydeco Cha Cha, Ricky Dillard & New G, Jon Cleary and the Absolute Monster Gentlemen, Roy Rogers & the Delta Rhythm Kings, Deacon John's Jumpers, Cyril Neville's Royal Southern Brotherhood, Sweet Crude, Kristin Diable, Paul Sanchez & the Rolling Road Show, New Orleans Klezmer Allstars, Bredda David & Tribal Wibes of Belize, Jeremy Davenport, Lil' Buck Sinegal Blues Band, Henry Gray, Midnite Disturbers,

Sunday, May 1

Neil Young and Promise of the Real, Trombone Shorty and Orleans Avenue, Bonnie Raitt, Arlo Guthrie for Alice's Restaurant 50th Anniversary, Mavis Staples, The Isley Brothers featuring Ronald and Ernie lsley, Aaron Neville, Maze featuring Frankie Beverly, Chris Botti, Ivan Neville's Dumpstaphunk with special guest Art Neville, Punch Brothers Tribute to B.B.King hosted by the B.B.King Blues Band with special guests, Tribute to Allen Toussaint hosted by the Allen Toussaint Band with special guests, Ellis Marsalis, Dawell Crawford, The Gospel Soul of Irma Thomas, Walter "Wolfman" Washington & the Roadmasters, Zigaboo Modeliste's Funk Revue, Marcia Ball, Heads of State featuring Gary Bartz, Larry Willis, Al Foster, and George Mraz, Rockin' Dopsie & the Zydeco Twisters, The Band Courtbouillon featuring Wayne Toups, Steve Riley, and Wilson Savoy, Swamp Pop Revue featuring Gregg Martinez & The Delta Kings with special guests GG Shinn and Parker James, Roddie Romero & the Hub City AllStars, Charmaine Neville Band, George French & the New Orleans Storyville Jazz Band, Stooges Brass Band,

that is insanity. Do they book all of that in 12 months or are they planning and booking years in advance. The volume of acts is massive.

Quote Originally Posted by MMP View Post
    that is insanity. Do they book all of that in 12 months or are they planning and booking years in advance. The volume of acts is massive.
    My guess is both. Paul Simon mentioned that he was booked several months ago, then again my cousin's band got booked less than a month before Fest to fill in for a cancellation...

I'm pretty stoked, looking at Thursday and 2nd Sat/Sun. The Zurich Classic is a week later this year, so i'm in town for it, and am thinking of hitting the Tuesday practice round day and Friday's tournament day...Friday night's looking like One-Eyed Jacks for Kamasi Washington.

how do you even choose what day to go? it's incredible. when we were there the eagles played that day. I stayed and watched the warren haynes band with dr john and aaron neville, my wife wandered over to the eagles. she said the people where she were sucked, and the band sounded like a recording of the eagles greatest hits. still, rip glen frey.

I wanna go!

Quote Originally Posted by MMP View Post
    how do you even choose what day to go? it's incredible. when we were there the eagles played that day. I stayed and watched the warren haynes band with dr john and aaron neville, my wife wandered over to the eagles. she said the people where she were sucked, and the band sounded like a recording of the eagles greatest hits. still, rip glen frey.
    Those are the two challenges alright, which days to go and which stage to hit. I can't do 3 days in a row at the fairgrounds, just too many peeps, so that helps me pick days. On the stages one theory is not leave good music to go to other good music...but that's tough to follow in practice...

Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    I wanna go!
    go!!!

Fuck. That 2nd weekend is looking good. This may be the year. I've got 10 days of in laws with us in Feb, if I maintain sanity then Jazz Fest might be a go.

Just looking at this as well. It's in the cards for us. Will be so difficult to pick which weekend for tics. Probably leaning towards first.

And.... http://norml.org/laws/item/louisiana-penalties-2

yeah, it's a great place to avoid getting busted. Which really isn't too hard. It's pretty much a free-for-all at the outdoor venues [the pipedude at Acura Stage is legend], not so much in the tents [duh]. There's a huge set of outdoor bleachers at the Grandstand, which also has Pilsner Urquell on tap, the only good chilled water fountains, and real flush shitters [tip the attendant]. Great smoke spot on the bleachers there, and the tiny shaded stage and interview area in the Grandstand are pretty cool too. In the Quarter just be discreet- just cuz you can legally walk down the street with a beer or geaux cup doesn't mean it's cool to burn too...

I know a few good lawyers in LA - Napoleonic law and shit.

Jazz Fest is always on my radar but probably not in my near future.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Jazz Fest 2016

I saw Van Morrison at Jazz Fest circa '99 or so. He faced the back of the stage away from the crowd his entire set...which was understandable since he was completely unintelligible.

Quote Originally Posted by KenJongIll View Post
    I saw Van Morrison at Jazz Fest circa '99 or so. He faced the back of the stage away from the crowd his entire set...which was understandable since he was completely unintelligible.
    that show is still often mentioned when his name comes up in JF company...
    Sounds like his birthday show in Belfast last August was pretty good- engaged and even told a joke. Got a pretty good review on his LA show last week on Billboard here

Considering second weekend.... Stoked to get back to the fairgrounds. Any suggestions on accommodations for a couple or two?

This thread, and forum, can have some good intel. There's another thread a page or two later on 'hotels' that shows folks success, for how much and where. Really depends on your budget. I'm a dirtbag everywhere for hotel rooms, and have stayed at the Motel 6 'near downtown' the last two years. But it's a motel 6 and in a sorta sketch part of town. If it makes the budget work tho it's worth it. Bus line two blocks away goes down Broad St to close to the fairgrounds, another goes to Canal St....

BTW Galactic with Erika Falls last night [in inner city Victor Idaho] was off the fkn hook. Grab tix for their after-shows if you get a chance...