• Fritschi

4 6.78%
  • Fisher

0 0%
  • that other one

2 3.39%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Tech binder poll

What tech binder do the maggots prefer? We'll keep it simple by going with just brands, not specific models.

Problem with going by brand is that there is huge variation between models within a brand. Somebody saying they prefer Dynafit, for example, is pretty meaningless - is that poster on a Beast 16, or an ultralight race binding?

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Problem with going by brand is that there is huge variation between models within a brand. Somebody saying they prefer Dynafit, for example, is pretty meaningless - is that poster on a Beast 16, or an ultralight race binding?
    Egg-zactly. It says more about the company that you're a fanboy of rather than the right tool for the job. I don't think you can structure polls with enough relevant detail on this forum. You might want to put together a Survey Monkey poll and publish the results.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Tech binder poll

I prefer some bindings from some manufacturers and some bindings from orhers (charger binding, do-it-all binding or superlight binding).

Yes and yes.

But I'm guessing the majority of folks are looking at a 12+ or equal DIN rating. Getting into specific models would be a bit much for this type of poll.

Just looking for a barometer of where the maggot fan base is or wants to be with a purchase of a tech binder.

edit - Yeah, to Lindahl's point. Thinking more on the lines of a charger/do-it-all. And you can vote for more than one.

Speed Radical with shimmed toes.

I have 3 set of Dynafit (2 verts and the rad that blew up last season) so I'm heavily invested which doesn't necessarily mean I'm in love, but at the time they were the best option, that said I wouldn't mind trying an ION and/or a Kingpin

its like being married in that you better be a fanboy of whatever you got cuz its too fucking expensive to just change horses in midstream eh?
    Last edited by XXX-er; 01-04-2016 at 01:53 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Dynafit verticals and radicals. No 2.0's though I'm interested
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Tech binder poll

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    Dynafit verticals and radicals. No 2.0's though I'm interested
    Got two pair of vert ft12 that I can swap out between a few skis with dynadukes plates
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

That other one. Beyond any doubt.

Emery
    Do what you like, Like what you do.

7 pairs of Dynafit bindings in our household, so do I get to vote 7 times? Radical 4-screw toe w/DIY shim + Speed Classic heel w/B&D top plate & volcano is my favorite.

Pretty sure the Fischers are rebranded Dyanfits.

Unless there are some Fishers out there, in which case I think there will be some copyright issues.
    JigaRex Universal Ski Mounting Jig

Anecdotally - in the Whistler liftlines (which is where the majority of touring gear stays imo) and backcountry, Dynafit dominates. By far.

I've seen the odd Kingpin, less than five pairs. ONE vipec. But literally hundreds of Dynafits

If I was purchasing new right now, G3 Ion LT for big/long days and all around touring, or the Marker Kingpin for in and out of bounds charging.

Quote Originally Posted by Knut View Post
    That other one. Beyond any doubt.
    Quote Originally Posted by gwat View Post
    Emery

https://www.wildsnow.com/backcountry...o-ski-binding/

I got Dynafit and G3?

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Anecdotally - in the Whistler liftlines (which is where the majority of touring gear stays imo) and backcountry, Dynafit dominates. By far.

I've seen the odd Kingpin, less than five pairs. ONE vipec. But literally hundreds of Dynafits
    Yeah, obviously the Dynafit will be the one most have, but what about now. What one would you buy or think you'd prefer. Still Dynafit?

The kingpin was relatively hard to come by and then the pin issue which has apparently been resolved.

The Vipec has a nice toe elastic travel, so maybe that is the one for some. But a bunch are bitching about getting into it...but maybe that isn't really an issue.

There are many threads on specific models, but what one would you buy today?

Personally, I don't think anyone has it quite dialed yet, but it's getting better all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by strawjack View Post
    Yeah, obviously the Dynafit will be the one most have, but what about now. What one would you buy or think you'd prefer. Still Dynafit?

The kingpin was relatively hard to come by and then the pin issue which has apparently been resolved.

The Vipec has a nice toe elastic travel, so maybe that is the one for some. But a bunch are bitching about getting into it...but maybe that isn't really an issue.

There are many threads on specific models, but what one would you buy today?

Personally, I don't think anyone has it quite dialed yet, but it's getting better all the time.
    I might be the wrong person to ask. Conservative in gear choice (still prefer Verticals and Comforts for example); rarely use the binding inbounds; prize reliability over all; light; not aggressive in the backcountry.

For touring so far I'd say Dynafit Radical 2.0, G3 Ion with both a tie for reliability as frankly they're both pretty new still. For inbounds, I'd say Marker Kingpin, Dynafit Beast.

I'm with Lee on this one - conservative both in gear as well as "boldness" choices in the BC, with Verticals/Comforts, although I have adopted one set of G3 Ion 12's last year (nice). I have a "watch" on Vipecs & Kingpins. I took a chance on the Ions based on experiences with their Onyx's (no recalls of significance in their first year).

I don't know if it's a big enough sample, but from my experience, along with the internet noise, I'd say that G3 is the closest to having a smooth concept to production process - between them, Fritschi, Marker and Dynafit. I can't speak to players like ATK and Plum.

Cheers,
    Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 01-05-2016 at 02:57 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

I had occasional prerelease issues with Verticals and Comforts on hard snow. Speed Radicals and Plum Guides have been better (no issues at all). Plums are probably my overall pick now that toe wing breakage appears to be a thing of the past.

Going to try some Kingpins or maybe Beasts to replace Marker Tour/ Dukes I'd been skiing for inbounds/side country/lift assisted Euro tours. I've had retention issues with Marker plate bindings as well. A couple times a year I'll lose a ski for no good reason, and I don't want to crank the DIN any higher. Plus even a short skin with clacking plates on your feet is annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
    7 pairs of Dynafit bindings in our household, so do I get to vote 7 times? Radical 4-screw toe w/DIY shim + Speed Classic heel w/B&D top plate & volcano is my favorite.
    Is that basically the speed turn 2.0 (minus the shim and volcano upgrade)?

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Is that basically the speed turn 2.0 (minus the shim and volcano upgrade)?
    Radical Toe has "Power Towers" that aid step in and can stop unwanted release.

No, not that one! For sure not that one! That other one.

The one that's better than the rest. The one those prideheads at the companies refuse to make. The one that finally learns from the disadvantages and blatant mistakes of existing bindings and combines all the advantages out there in one binding.