• Guide (2 days)

15 60.00%
  • Heli (1 Day)

6 24.00%
  • Cat (1 Day)

4 16.00%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Whistler Trip Advice

My wife and I are headed to Whistler later this month for 8 days of skiing at Whistler/Blackcomb. Bucket list trip for sure. We've done plenty in CO and UT and did a touring trip in Girdwood AK last winter. Looking forward to seeing what the Whistler hype is all about.

For Christmas my wife gave me a certificate of my choice of 1 of the following: 1 day of heli-skiing, 1 day of cat skiing or 2 days of guided backcountry/sidecountry. What a gal!

The obvious choice is the heli. But the guide would be pretty beneficial if I did it early in the trip, I would have some great knowledge of the mountain and stashes for the rest of our trip. Cat would be great if it ends up dumping the whole trip (fingers crossed) and there isn't a flying window.

Any recommendations or experiences you can share on companies to go through for any of the 3 options are appreciated.

Also tips on how best to approach a heli or cat day as a single person that will be put with a group.

your wife is a gem!
    I can't offer much advice on these options, as I ski within the resort, but I would choose the heli. Most vertical, and they operate on nearby mountains. For a single person they might accept last minute sign ups, but I would call. I would time it not on a powder day, as inbound skiing is awesome on a powder day, and you have only one day of heli. And there is already 180cm of base at midmountain-best early season in years.

Guide. Especially if you usually tour. They are both pretty big mountains with lots to do, both inside and out. Even when snow is marginal. Save the heli trip for some where else; either interior BC or AK.

I would probably go guided. As you said it will give you a good idea of the stashes if you want to continue OB on the rest of your trip. Being a single on a Heli or Cat is a total crapshoot, if you are put in with a group of good skiers it could be awesome, get in with people who just want to say they went Heli skiing and you might take an hour to navigate a single blue run. If I was going to choose between Heli and Cat though, I would take the Cat. You don't get grounded, usually get more runs,even if they may not be as long, and I still think you are less likely to get stuck in a intermediate group. Probably be a good idea to call up the companies involved and see whether they have an advanced group option.

Thanks for the feedback. I'd prefer to get more sendy on fewer runs than get more runs on flat powder fields.

I emailed a few companies (Whistler Ski Guides, Extremely Canadian and Powder Mountain Cat/Heli). If there are others I should check out let me know. Also added a poll just for fun.

I've done Whistler heli. It is my only heli experience to this date. It was not incredible inbounds, and was an awesome day as we were able to get higher, and of course, no tracks. That said, I think it's much better interior BC or the Rockies. I'd aim to save the hall pass and go big down the road interior, and try to put together a large group of friends to fill the heli or cat. I bought the Whistler Blackcomb guide book, and think it is awesome. Laid out like a climbing book sort of. You could also try to hook up with someone from this board.

Enjoy the trip. I love Whistler.

i can personally recommend coastal range heli , had one of the best days ever in the peaks around pemberton :-)
    but two days backcountry touring with extremely canadian could be just as good if conditions are right

I’ve done days with Whistler Heli and Powder Mountain, both are cool but I’d opt for two or three days of guided skiing over a day of heli skiing. Whistler Heli has tons of terrain, but unless you opt for the $1200/day package you’ll be in the Apocalypse Now gun ship gang skiing with eight of your new best friends. Powder Mountain has less terrain but the guides seem to give a fuck about your day, which is nice given the price.
    The trumpet scatters its awful sound Over the graves of all lands Summoning all before the throne

Death and mankind shall be stunned When Nature arises To give account before the Judge

Quote Originally Posted by scblurlt View Post
    i can personally recommend coastal range heli , had one of the best days ever in the peaks around pemberton :-)
    but two days backcountry touring with extremely canadian could be just as good if conditions are right
    coast range was recently sold to Blackcomb Aviation, and this year are leasing their tenure to Whistler Heli...recent announcement, unsure of what that means Ops wise right now. The other cat skiing in the area is backcountry snowcats up the Hurley, no firsthand experience, but friends have gone a few times and had a good time.

the majority of heli ski runs are glacier. There is extreme terrain but i have never heard of anyone riding anything remotely gnar thru Whistler Heli. If you're expecting to ski spines and huck cliffs, better forget about it. The reality is much more dentists bum wiggling 30 degree glaciers.
    If you are an expert skier then for sure guiding is your best option. It also really depends on snow conditions when you are here. If its non stop stormy, cat skiing is good not great, particularly if you have a strong group. Also the resort is quite good too...

Quote Originally Posted by eldereldo View Post
    I would probably go guided. As you said it will give you a good idea of the stashes if you want to continue OB on the rest of your trip. Being a single on a Heli or Cat is a total crapshoot, if you are put in with a group of good skiers it could be awesome, get in with people who just want to say they went Heli skiing and you might take an hour to navigate a single blue run. If I was going to choose between Heli and Cat though, I would take the Cat. You don't get grounded, usually get more runs,even if they may not be as long, and I still think you are less likely to get stuck in a intermediate group. Probably be a good idea to call up the companies involved and see whether they have an advanced group option.
    Many of my friends heli and cat ski guide so i apologize if they're reading this but the Whistler cat and heli ski experience is very much entry level and pretty much geared towards the seldoms or never evers. Awesome experience but basically what eldereldo said.

Quote Originally Posted by scblurlt View Post
    CRH is no more. T.odd is correct.

Extremely Canadian, Altus are both excellent. I'm sure you won't go wrong with other guiding companies but I don't know them

ExCan http://www.tetongravity.com/story/sk...nic-Review-333

Altus http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...neering-course

Can't thank you guys enough for the great info and confirming my initial thoughts on heli/cat in Whistler. I'm all but settled on hiring a guide and exploring the Whister side & backcountry rather than farm powder with a heli.

I've had a very positive email exchange already with Extremely Canadian (& fast response time). Anyone have any info on Whister Ski Guides? Their prices for a private guide are significantly cheaper but haven't heard back yet on an initial contact. Service and response are far more important than price but if anyone has first hand knowledge.

http://altusmountainguides.com/ ...I have no experience with these guys, but see their stuff around on social media a lot, Lee, haven't you done some tours with them?

I'll shoot Altus an email. Thanks!

I did my AST 1 through these guys several years ago when they were known as Whistler Alpine Guides Bureau, not sure if the re-branding has affected the quality of the service but the two guides/instructors we had on that course were top-notch. Have also done a 2-day steep skiing clinic inbounds with Extremely Canadian and was very happy with the service, both instructors were good at managing the group and really pushing those of us who wanted to push ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by t.odd View Post
    http://altusmountainguides.com/ ...I have no experience with these guys, but see their stuff around on social media a lot, Lee, haven't you done some tours with them?
    I did a 3 day course/trip with them (Ross) in the hibachi ridge area last spring. I can highly recommend the outfit. Ross was super keen to teach whatever everyone wanted to learn while also skiing some rad lines.

I could show you some stuff if things line up. PM me

How about getting a guide from the heliski company, on their "off day?"
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

My friend has skied with Extremely Canadian at Whistler and in South America and at LaGrave. He has good things to say about them. His reports from days spent with them at Whistler last April are at:
    http://www.firsttracksonline.com/boa...=11790&p=74051
    http://www.firsttracksonline.com/boa...=11791&p=74052

Quote Originally Posted by Two06 View Post
    I could show you some stuff if things line up. PM me
    I'll be there Feb. 25 and 26 after more than a week cat and resort skiing in South Central BC. Will you be around then or maybe I should be signing up with Extremely Canadian myself? It seems like a good time for me to do it as this will be my first trip to Whistler in the winter (the Whistler days are the only ones on MCP, I did not use in my first two years with it), plus my wife won't be with me and need to be shown around and it will probably never be less expensive with the weak Canadian $.

Nice write ups. Thanks for posting.

Just wanted to update this thread with my positive experience.

I went through Altus Mountain Guides and couldn't be happier with my two days of guided backcountry skiing. Ross from Altus was very responsive and had me setup for two days of epic adventures. We were blessed with some of the best conditions Whistler had seen all season so that certainly helped; lots of fresh snow, super safe avi conditions and mild days with virtually no wind. We had a different guide each day and both were super knowledgeable, helpful, educational and nailed the terrain and pace of touring/skiing.

Whistler was amazing! Can't wait to go back!

right on, glad you had a great time! come back in the summer, many would argue it's better than winter!

YES! Can't wait to come back in the summer with my mountain bike. That's next on the trip list for sure.

Cool! Where abouts did you guys end up skiing? You certainly timed it perfectly, glad you had a good time.

Day 1 was with my 5 month pregnant wife so we kept it more mellow. Going off the Flute ridge on Whistler into Oboe Creek and doing some laps on both sides of the bowl. The guide was awesome at ensuring my wife (and baby) were safe and going at a comfortable pace. The guide was super experienced but this was his first ever pregnant client and he handled it like a true professional.

Day 2 was just myself and the guide on the Blackcomb Glacier. Cham Chutes down to the glacial lake, around the ridge for a couple more laps. Husume Apron back to the resort. Basically a figure 8 through the area. Not sure on the total elevation gain but it was 4 or 5 virgin powder runs. The guide even insisted on trading goggles with me when mine were all fogged up. They really go out of their way to make sure you have a great day.

If you want a POV experience watch my edit below. I was lowered (I called it rappelling but it's really not) by improvised harness into Cham Chute #2 and got to ski down first tracks after several days of snow. An all-time experience! Turn on the HD.