Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10

Cortana is great in my opinion- even better than Win 7 search function. If it is on the task bar, then start typing what you want (like the Control Panel) and it pops up a list. If it is missing I go looking for it under the apps, since I use more than 5 slightly versions of Windows (and typically they are not my systems so I do not want to make modifications to others PC's), it is hard to remember everything if it has been a few days or weeks since I have been in front of that Windows.) Edge has s few nice things too, but a few things that are also hard to get used to and I usually just load other browsers (SRWare Iron is Chrome code but not from Google directly)

Old fucks

Stop updating and upgrading software

You don't even know what you're doing
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

rm -rf /

#!/bin/sh

for p in `pgrep zfs`; do
    echo "-------------------------"
    pargs $p
    echo "0t${p} :id2proc|::walk thread|::findstack" | mdb -k
    done

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    Cortana is great in my opinion- even better than Win 7 search function. If it is on the task bar, then start typing what you want (like the Control Panel) and it pops up a list. If it is missing I go looking for it under the apps, since I use more than 5 slightly versions of Windows (and typically they are not my systems so I do not want to make modifications to others PC's), it is hard to remember everything if it has been a few days or weeks since I have been in front of that Windows.) Edge has s few nice things too, but a few things that are also hard to get used to and I usually just load other browsers (SRWare Iron is Chrome code but not from Google directly)
    Cool, maybe I will give Cortana a try when I get my replacement laptop (Costco exchanging for me). I first thought Cortana was like the old Microsoft Paperclip thingy that used to pop up all the time but sounds like it's really useful. thanks!

Right click on the windows icon and control panel, etc. are right there.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Classic Shell
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Just a PSA for everyone with a Windows machine:
    Here is a great site to go to after you unbox a new computer.
    No longer stuck.

Bump. Might be needing to buy a new laptop over the weekend. You Windows 10 users, is a touchscreen mandatory or not? I have no experience with 10, we rock Win 7 Pro at work still.

95% of the time I will be using my desktop rather than the laptop so I'd rather save the money if Win 10 isn't a pain in the ass without the touchscreen.

Also, that link from stucky above looks SUPER useful. Thanks for that.

Touchscreen not required.

I can't even see how it would be beneficial.

Touch screen is definitely not required but can be nice if you have to do graphic design and stuff but mainly with a system made for that like a MS Surface Pro/Book/Studio. Win 10 used to be better with a touch screen, but a recent update massively improved things for non-touch users.

Quote Originally Posted by shroom View Post
    rm -rf /
    I think with windows you have to use del
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Anyone doing anything with the new bash support in win10? Curious how it works in anger (compiling things, mostly), if it's a full fledged usable *nix or if it really just enables you to write shell scripts.

I'm due a new laptop soon for work and not thrilled about the new MBPr... probably wouldn't/couldn't actually use windows for actual work but it wouldn't hurt to keep for dual booting if it was semi-usable.

Edit: also anyone have any thoughts on the new Asus Zenbooks and/or Lenovo X1 thinkpads? Possible to get >16GB RAM? Build quality, keyboard, etc?
    Last edited by mbillie1; 11-04-2016 at 02:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mbillie1 View Post
    Anyone doing anything with the new bash support in win10? Curious how it works in anger (compiling things, mostly), if it's a full fledged usable *nix or if it really just enables you to write shell scripts.

I'm due a new laptop soon for work and not thrilled about the new MBPr... probably wouldn't/couldn't actually use windows for actual work but it wouldn't hurt to keep for dual booting if it was semi-usable.

Edit: also anyone have any thoughts on the new Asus Zenbooks and/or Lenovo X1 thinkpads? Possible to get >16GB RAM? Build quality, keyboard, etc?
    The Lenovo X1 Carbon Thinkpads are solid machines, a bit pricey but very nice systems. Lenovo also uses the X1 for some other machine designations (X1 Yoga- tablet). But they will only handle up to I beleive 16 GB of system memory with the newest 4th generation of the series.

Asus has had a number of good builds also with most of their models being called a Zenbook something (3 being one of the newest) but 12.5 inch screen maybe an issue if you are looking at a bunch of code. The 3 series also stops at 16 GB of memory. Most of the ultrabooks will be limited to 16 GB afaik. You can get some more traditional laptops (with DVD etc.) that can handle more than 16 GB of ram- gaming systems and 17 inch displays many times have that limit, a few will now go to 32 GB also- but you have very expensive memory costs. Lenovo P50 and P50S will be systems to consider if you are looking at maximum memory (one uses the newest DDR4 and goes to 64GB if you wanted).

Any computer nerds here have experience with a bootable USB iso made via "rufus"?

Edit to note: used rufus because my functional laptop (which I used to make the image) wouldn't recognize any USB drives via the official media creation tool.

I made one because a hard drive crapped the bed and I have no bootable drive, so the plan is to install to a new ssd in my machine and boot/install via the iso...

Anyway, I'm able to boot via the stick, and it shows the little windows type logo for 15s or so, and then screen goes "blank". Almost like it's still loading. Been like this for about 5 minutes now.

Should I just keep waiting? Did I make the image wrong? Halp.

Rufus (just make sure you are using the latest download) works great for creating bootable images from an ISO download. Windows 10 works- I assume you have gone to the Microsoft official download site to get the ISO?

Fresh install on a machine should give you updated status faster than what you are describing- if nothing else the little circle spinning and then other status screens. Are you sure your hard drive controller is supported and SSD drive is detected (raid controllers as an example may need drivers to work)...

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    Rufus (just make sure you are using the latest download) works great for creating bootable images from an ISO download. Windows 10 works- I assume you have gone to the Microsoft official download site to get the ISO?

Fresh install on a machine should give you updated status faster than what you are describing- if nothing else the little circle spinning and then other status screens. Are you sure your hard drive controller is supported and SSD drive is detected (raid controllers as an example may need drivers to work)...
    Iso was via the media download tool yesterday after it wouldn't let me make a USB stick.

Yeah BIOS/uefi shows all the drives, and I've selected USB as the boot media. Right now I've got two (old) "data" drives and one brand new Ssd in the machine which will get the OS.

I'm thinking maybe I picked the wrong options in rufus? I retried with the gtr uefi option and fat 32. Machine didn't even recognize that as bootable, so going to try the mbr for bios/uefi option again.

Does it matter if I pick fat32, ntfs, or??

10s of this

Followed by this
    Last edited by flyman683; 02-28-2017 at 11:22 AM.

The controller in the system- pretty standard stuff? Pull the 2 data drives off and just use the SSD to test and see if anything is different for starters. If you used the MS download site- Rufus is not needed unless you select the download for another PC option.

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/softw...ate-boot-media provides most of the descriptions on the various options and even using Rufus to create the bootable flash drive.

Yo, thread hijak: as I understand it, you can make bit locker work on pretty much any system with the Pro version, correct?
    Also what happens if you have crash, boot into the recovery partition and try to restore a backup image from an external drive that is encrypted (you can do that, right?)? Just type in a password?
    I'm guessing everything is hunky dory and performance hit will be negligible, at least on an i5 machine. Just wanna make sure.
    It's a HIPAA environment. Small, one room office in a building full of those.
    I gather it's not necessarily required, but guy is a little paranoid. Also, his client is the state so they will audit him. Would definitely love his laptop to have extra security, nevermind the little portable drive plugged into his desktop.
    No longer stuck.

Flyman, you might wanna make sure it wasn't just your hard drive that died. Make sure new drive is plugged in to the right place and getting enough power, make sure the usb stick is getting enough power, sometimes the front ones in a cheap case don't give enough. Make sure you are "ejecting" the USB stick from the other computer.
    Try a different tool maybe?
    I like what rshea said about pulling out the other drives.
    There's also the slight possibility your SSD is DOA.
    No longer stuck.

Flyman, you might wanna make sure it wasn't just your hard drive that died.
    So - pulled the two "data" HDDs per rshea's suggestion. Magically, the USB install worked fine afterwards. Put OS on my new SSD, with the old SSD just as some extra data space. Everything groovy.

I put the two data HDD's back in, and wham, one of 'em (~4 year old 1TB Seagate) shows as 100% active on the access status. It's not openable in explorer, and it takes approximately "forever" to open it up in the disk manager and it shows as a "RAW" partition. So, I think that drive (even though it wasn't the "lead") was causing the pre-install stuff to time out. Ran the Seagate tools and it fails their diagnostics.

It's been running a data recovery tool for ~24 hours now, so I'm hoping to pull what I can off of it. I was hoping a partition recovery would work (faster/easier) but no dice, even though all of the various tools out there can "see" that it is an NTFS partition even if Windows Disk Management can't.

Not too surprised that is the culprit since that drive held the Windows "user" folders, and login/profile problems is what spurred the original need to do a clean windows install. Turns out it wasn't just corrupted profiles but instead dying HDD. Haven't had that happen in over 10 years.

It was surprising that even having it connected made the windows installs not work though, but ah well. Thanks for the help.

That's Windows for ya. Glad you got it working and hope you don't lose anything important. Backups backups backups!
    No longer stuck.

Yo, thread hijak: as I understand it, you can make bit locker work on pretty much any system with the Pro version, correct?
    Also what happens if you have crash, boot into the recovery partition and try to restore a backup image from an external drive that is encrypted (you can do that, right?)? Just type in a password?
    I'm guessing everything is hunky dory and performance hit will be negligible, at least on an i5 machine. Just wanna make sure.
    It's a HIPAA environment. Small, one room office in a building full of those.
    I gather it's not necessarily required, but guy is a little paranoid. Also, his client is the state so they will audit him. Would definitely love his laptop to have extra security, nevermind the little portable drive plugged into his desktop.
    Bitlocker is in the Pro and Enterprise editions of Win 10. You can create a Bitlocker recovery key or there are a few utilities that may work also if you loose the recovery key (but best to use a documented password and then create the recovery key and back the key up.

Gotchya.
    Just making sure it works on any hardware. I know you need Pro and the last laptop I just ordered for this client was with Pro and I confirmed with my wholesaler before ordering, but since it's the basis of my recommendation, I'm just trying to cross all the T's.

Client is also kind of a buddy, so if I screw up I get to hear about it endlessly. And so does everyone else in town, lol.
    No longer stuck.