Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Countertops

Countertops

Laminate (lame inate) vs tile vs granite vs concrete vs?

Laminate installed is $2500.

What kind of cost comparison could I expect for alternates?

Pros & cons of each?

Maggots?
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

Unpolished black granite is working really well for us. Has the advantages of granite (durability, low maintenance) without (I think) the trend-worn look of the polished light-colored stuff. I don't know about comparative costs - the wife wanted it, so...

Concrete seems nice too, but I have no experience with that.

Tell us about or show the rest of your kitchen. What style/wood/color of cabs? What kind of flooring.

I would nix tile from the list right off. Add wood, quartz, soapstone, and steel (stainless or hot rolled can both be awesome).

I have pebbled black granite. Awesome.

Tile is the cheapest alternative; we have 1 foot granite tiles--DIY project. Keeping the grout clean is the obvious downside Granite is relatively cheap around here--apparently a lot of cheap Chinese granite. I have a butcher block top on one cabinet next to the stove--nice place to chop stuff. It gets dirty and has to be scraped with a card scraper once in a while (hint, you can use the scraper you use on your skis). I wouldn't do a whole kitchen with it. Alot of these materials have a wide price variation--no substitute to doing your own research.

Of course I'm getting screwed, I'm in Canada.

Some kinda dark engineered wood floor, don't know what kind but dark, cabinets are light maple (kinda yellowy). I don't know how many sf, I don't have a photo, its in a house I bought about 5 hours away from where I live that I will be moving to in about 6 months. I'm hiring someone to do it. I bought half a used (5 yo summer condo) kitchen, it was a whole kitchen but about half as big as I wanted so I ordered more cabinets, the cabinet manufacturer gave me a price for cabinets and counter separate. I was wondering at relative costs, $60/sf probably isn't a number that will transfer to this market.

I was thinking 24" x 24" rectified tile, probably in a dark bluey slate type colour. I would install it without any of that metal schleuter edge crap, being rectified the tile is consistent colour all the way through so a bare edge looks ok. Then a coloured tile on the face for some depth, make that tile match the back splash and there ya go. I've seen it and like it, its not much more than laminate.

Cons of concrete, tile or granite would probably be chipped dishes.

I've had granite counters for ~15 years and have never notced a particular problem with chipped dishes.

It all comes down to the intersection of what you like and what you can afford or want to spend. Here's a reasonable guide that may not give you very good actual dollar amounts for Canada but the approximate cost ratios should hold true: http://www.countertopguides.com/guid...tops-cost.html

I think our next countertops will be Concrete or Quartz (basically man-made Granite.) I'll ask the wife tomorrow and post then.

I just poured a concrete counter top.
    It was pretty basic slab.
    Not too difficult if your not an idiot. I don't think i would have much problem if I had to build the sink opening which we did not. i love the look of concrete. I am building an outdoor kitchen for the cabin and will be putting in a concrete counter for sure.
    There are plenty of resources online for the DIY person.
    What if "Alternative" energy wasn't so alternative ?

Sunflower seed shells
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

If you wana save some coin DIY Concrete or nice tile can look fine

or you can listen to all these fucking dentists who want their eye-talian marble
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I hated the tile counters I had in one house. Crumbs always getting in the grout lines.

We have soapstone. We don't oil it and it looks nice. You can make it darker with oil. Cleans easily. Indestructible. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451218480.262070.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	458.9 KB 
ID:	174007

This is it under these beers. Trillium, good stuff ( the beer)

Yo Beaver! It's all about budget and personal preference. Just some thoughts:

Lamiate - can look good with with a wood edge and tile backsplash. Should be inexpensive.

Tile - Grout is the concern. If you use an epoxy grout or integrated sealer it will be better.

Natural Stone - which included all granite, quartz, etc. This comes in a slab 8X10ish is templated and locally fabricated. Don't assume that "granite" is a gloss finish and a traditional look. The options are unlimited. The honed and leathered finishes are popular. Depending on kitchen layout, you can go to 2cm or prefabricated granite to keep the cost down.

Concrete and bucher block can be good options.

Where are you moving?

We just installed quartz countertops (Hanstone Aurora snow) in our place.

To give an idea of Canadian pricing, we found Lowes to have the best pricing. They say it's $66/sq ft but the reality is that after we added a sink and the large island piece it was about $80/sq ft installed.

Super happy with quartz. Cleans up easily and has a nice consistent look.

My folks put in granite counters in their kitchen, it looks nice and will last many lifetimes, it is how ever a heat sink. When you put a plate of food or a hot beverage on it the food or beverage very quickly becomes cold. My folks fixed this by using thick place mats on everything as a thermal break.

Something they dont tell ya about.
    watch out for snakes

Countertops

^^^ that's a good point.
    Here's a granite pattern we have on one of our countertops. I don't know if we like it or not really but this picture has a ton of coffee grounds on it. We have white Corian in another place and well it wouldn't look like that.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Poured my own concrete counters using the Z Counterform pour in place stuff. Want to say it cost around $1800 in materials and I have enough materials left to do a few bathroom counters as well. I think we got a quote for some cheap granite and it was gonna be $5000. It wasn't easy and I would definitely do some things differently but it looks awesome and is pretty low maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    ^^^ that's a good point.
    Here's a granite pattern we have on one of our countertops. I don't know if we like it or not really but this picture has a ton of coffee grounds on it. We have white Corian in another place and well it wouldn't look like that.
    Our granite is just about the same. Hides kitchen grime very, very well. Black shows everything and you're constantly cleaning it.

That said, I've never been anywhere and said 'God, look at those old dated granite counters. They should replace those.'

Can't say that about tile, laminate, wood, etc.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Granite with a non-glossy but closed pore finish looks amazing, isn't what everyone else has, and doesn't show every water spot and crumb.

I think Quartz can look really good while being cheaper than Granite if you are OK with the shiny finish that quartz has.

Or you could say fuck it and spend the money on airfare instead!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Countertops

In CAD, our small counters were going to be $1500 for laminate (installed), granite ~$4k. I did ikea butcher block for $600.

I finished with regular clear coat for lower maintenance so we don't cut food directly on it. Downside will be maintaining it but it looks nice & there was already oak in the house so it fits. It should be easy to sand & re-finish when needed.

I've lived in other rental houses with tile counters & hated them, would never put them in my own house.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    In CAD, our small counters were going to be $1500 for laminate (installed), granite ~$4k. I did ikea butcher block for $600.

I finished with regular clear coat for lower maintenance so we don't cut food directly on it. Downside will be maintaining it but it looks nice & there was already oak in the house so it fits. It should be easy to sand & re-finish when needed.

I've lived in other rental houses with tile counters & hated them, would never put them in my own house.
    How's that working for you? Was thinking of doing ikea butcher block, wouldn't cut directly on it, mostly concerned about water if there's drops left here and there that are forgotten and not wiped up

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    I think Quartz can look really good while being cheaper than Granite if you are OK with the shiny finish that quartz has.
    Quartz isn't necessarily cheaper than granite. For the most part the two were comparably priced.

Quote Originally Posted by marving View Post
    How's that working for you? Was thinking of doing ikea butcher block, wouldn't cut directly on it, mostly concerned about water if there's drops left here and there that are forgotten and not wiped up
    So far so good but it's only been ~6 months. I put 4 coats of clear coat & we are careful to wipe water off it etc. ask me in a couple years?

Quote Originally Posted by marving View Post
    I have 12yo Boos Block countertops with mineral oil finish. I love them. They get a nice patina and cutting wherever you want is nice. The rock maple holds up well against water. I can't speak for the IKEA ones but from the looks they seem inferior.