help the assman pick a bike

Been a road bike guy forever. Now looking forward to some trail riding, a little downhill but 95% of the riding i will be doing will be on flat or nearly flat ground.

There seems to be a bewildering amount of choices out there. Full suspension, hardtail, 29er etc

For some reason i am leaning toward a hardtail 29er but am WAY open to advice.

Since this bike will be travelling with me I don't want to drop a ton incase it gets lifted but still want something worth owning.

Quote Originally Posted by assman View Post
    Been a road bike guy forever. Now looking forward to some trail riding, a little downhill but 95% of the riding i will be doing will be on flat or nearly flat ground.

There seems to be a bewildering amount of choices out there. Full suspension, hardtail, 29er etc

For some reason i am leaning toward a hardtail 29er but am WAY open to advice.

Since this bike will be travelling with me I don't want to drop a ton incase it gets lifted but still want something worth owning.
    Unless the trails you're riding are relatively rooty / rocky, a hardtail 29er is a good bet. There's plenty of good options out there, but I'm partial to something like a Kona Honzo. It's not a light bike, but it's stout and can take a beating. It has good geometry that makes it more capable on descents. They've been around for a little while, so if you don't want to pay for a new one, a used one can probably be found for a reasonable price.

Honzo is cool for an aggressive hardtail but if you are a roadie at heart any hardtail 29er would fit the bill. More "racey" but it sounds like thats what you want and need. 1200 gets you into decent part specs. As a canadian I love recommending the Rocky Mountain bikes...Great spec for the price. Every brand should have what you are looking for. Pick a cool shop and pick your favorite color

You should buy this bike. I really want to, but for the trails out here, full suspension is a little nicer. Even so, I'm seriously tempted.

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=296524

Does your travel include coastal areas with beaches?

Check out some fat bikes if so, they are also great on trails.
    watch out for snakes

hardtail 29er. Chinese carbon frame with great parts will be better than anything at some crappy shop.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

You can ride a fatty everyday.

Just don't let your friends see ya.

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    You should buy this bike. I really want to, but for the trails out here, full suspension is a little nicer. Even so, I'm seriously tempted.

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=296524
    A bit too large of a frame for me

Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    Does your travel include coastal areas with beaches?

Check out some fat bikes if so, they are also great on trails.
    It does but I still not sold on fattys but at some point will probably add one to the quiver. Just not ready to call it my main ride.

The Honzo is a fun damned bike, do it, you will not regret.

Someone here suggested "Fat Bike' at first i thought no but looking into them I see the attraction. In the summer I travel to a beach area frequently for work. I am not about laying around on a beach on my down time but riding would be something i would enjoy.

Anyway research has turned up this...MINNESOTA 3.0 XWT w/ ALLOY & BLUTO FORK comes with 2 forks and if I recall correctly out the door for around $1300.

good or is there better in the less than $1500. category? Bikes Direct??

If you're a real assman, just go with fatty.
    Did the last unsatisfied fat soccer mom you took to your mom's basement call you a fascist? -irul&ublo
    Don't Taze me bro.

Niner AIR9 on closeout at Jenson?
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

I can't imagine being a roady and going directly to fat biking. So what if you can ride it on a beach. Get a light hardtail of any wheel size with decent components and you'll fall in love with trails. If you ride road bike you're going to want to ride fast. Fat<>Fast
    Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    A better option would be to quit whining and go ski somewhere with less people around.
    __________________________________________________ __________

Aclimate Sports Drink- "Go higher feel better"

Get a Yeti SB95 that is a couple years old. Killlller bike for the $$$ IMO
    I love my family. Kids are the best.
    http://www.praxisskis.com

Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt View Post
    hardtail 29er. Chinese carbon frame with great parts will be better than anything at some crappy shop.
    Those HongFu bike are pretty nice for the $.

Quote Originally Posted by assman View Post
    Someone here suggested "Fat Bike' at first i thought no but looking into them I see the attraction. In the summer I travel to a beach area frequently for work. I am not about laying around on a beach on my down time but riding would be something i would enjoy.

Anyway research has turned up this...MINNESOTA 3.0 XWT w/ ALLOY & BLUTO FORK comes with 2 forks and if I recall correctly out the door for around $1300.

good or is there better in the less than $1500. category? Bikes Direct??
    The Minnesota has fairly decent specs, but are there any LBS around that you could actually ride some bikes? Mail orders ok, if that's all you got.

Quote Originally Posted by gunniride View Post
    I can't imagine being a roady and going directly to fat biking. So what if you can ride it on a beach. Get a light hardtail of any wheel size with decent components and you'll fall in love with trails. If you ride road bike you're going to want to ride fast. Fat<>Fast
    It's kind of a ying and yang thing. Fatty's more about can I make it up that or through this. Plus they're just fun!

Spend $700 and try out a motobecane boris x7 fatty at bikesdirect.com?

I agree on the 29" hardtail. I do not agree on any fat bike for you. Definitely demo a fatbike before you buy one. I do not like them at all, and I've demoed 3 now. The main reason is I do almost everything to make my bikes lighter and quicker, and that's the opposite philosophy of the fatty. I love my road bike too, so I hate that slow steering feel of the fatty.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    I agree on the 29" hardtail. I do not agree on any fat bike for you. Definitely demo a fatbike before you buy one. I do not like them at all, and I've demoed 3 now. The main reason is I do almost everything to make my bikes lighter and quicker, and that's the opposite philosophy of the fatty. I love my road bike too, so I hate that slow steering feel of the fatty.
    good point. When i get back I am going to line up some demos

Any update?