Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Ended up mounting on the line (with a 310mm BSL). Still haven't tried touring on these, and only done two nights of soft skied-out resort chop. Probably the most confidence-inspiring skis I've been on, although coming from 177 Huascarans and 172 SFBs that probably doesn't mean much. For as much as people talk about having to adapt to Hoji's skiing style, I found these incredibly intuitive. Can't wait to get these out on a deeper day!
    Last edited by Toddball; 02-02-2017 at 02:18 PM.

Anyone mounted the 14/15 Hoji a few cm back after skiing them at the line? I'm 6'2" 170# and an advanced intermediate skier and was wondering if that might change the way they ski in a desirable manner without fucking up their maneuverability.

http://mtnguiding.com/media/2017/1/4...adesravens-too

This answers all the questions regarding mounting. Wish I had known this before, but I'm mounted on the line with a 304 bsl (touring boot) and 317 bsl (alpine boot) and have loved the skis.
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

I mounted the Hojis -2 and it's changed the ski for the better. If I skied 60+ days a year I would have mounted at recommended, but -2 has made them a ski a little less pushy. Love them.
    I like huge dumps.

Quote Originally Posted by tBatt View Post
    My buddies had an edge blow out and he broke a chunk out of the plastic piece on the tails, both in less than two weeks of ownership.
    I thought i would chime in with my experience with the 2016/17 Hojis in a 195cm. I have also had edge blowouts on mine, first one was on my first day out on the skis and it cracked the plastic that supports the sidewall leading to the edge pulling off the ski. Fast forward about 25 days on the skis and i just cracked the plastic on the other ski pushing the edge up and exposing a ton of the core from the sidewall. I love how the skis handle and are super playful but still stable when needed but with the damage that has ensued from just 25 days on the skis i can't imagine me paying for another pair of 4frnts in the future when ive never had another ski ever have an edge pull out on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Stensby View Post
    I thought i would chime in with my experience with the 2016/17 Hojis in a 195cm. I have also had edge blowouts on mine, first one was on my first day out on the skis and it cracked the plastic that supports the sidewall leading to the edge pulling off the ski. Fast forward about 25 days on the skis and i just cracked the plastic on the other ski pushing the edge up and exposing a ton of the core from the sidewall. I love how the skis handle and are super playful but still stable when needed but with the damage that has ensued from just 25 days on the skis i can't imagine me paying for another pair of 4frnts in the future when ive never had another ski ever have an edge pull out on me.
    Have you tried contacting 4FRNT? They have been great to deal with when I've called or gone into the store. No guarantees, but I bet they'd help you out with a replacement.

As an aside, I have had as many as five pairs of 4FRNTs in the garage over the last six years. Never had an edge or sidewall problem. This includes skis coming out of the Elan factory and skis that were handmade at the SLC store. YMMV of course.

Quote Originally Posted by DGamms View Post
    Have you tried contacting 4FRNT? They have been great to deal with when I've called or gone into the store. No guarantees, but I bet they'd help you out with a replacement.

As an aside, I have had as many as five pairs of 4FRNTs in the garage over the last six years. Never had an edge or sidewall problem. This includes skis coming out of the Elan factory and skis that were handmade at the SLC store. YMMV of course.
    Same here (White Room and Elan factory), 4 pairs total going back to 2009 EHP's. Stensby you land in rocks or something?

Quote Originally Posted by DGamms View Post

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    Same here (White Room and Elan factory), 4 pairs total going back to 2009 EHP's. Stensby you land in rocks or something?
    Yup. Me too. 6 pairs of varying lengths and years of EHPs and Renegades both Elan and WhiteRoom going back as far as 2009 with zero issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Can anyone comment on the changes to the Hoji from the 2013 (Pilsner graphic) that I have to the 2017/2018 red and white graphic? I see the 187cm is down from 2250g to 1950g per ski which is nice if it still skis the same. What about the rocker profile and flex? I find my 2013 have a more pronounced tip rocker than my 2015 Renegades.

Contemplating a new pair of Hojis with Kingpins for a Whistler pow day setup - ski the resort and maybe a few sidecountry laps or maybe spend the entire day touring type thing. Right now I have the 2013 Hoji with Radical ST 1.0's for touring, and they are awesome for pow, but I hate skiing them in the resort. Thinking that Kingpins would significantly improve resort feel.

My Renegades have Guardians on them and they are awesome for the resort, but I hate doing more than one or two quick skin tracks on them, especially in alpine boots. We are talking 9 lbs extra weight (4.5 lbs a foot) every single step here. Didn't realize it was that much till I added it up.

Where has everyone been mounting their Hoji? Here in Golden most people are mounting back 2-3cm, and I've heard of people going further. I've found that even mounted back 2cm the tail can feel pushy in steep variable snow terrain.

I am also skiing them with Kingpins and Salomon Mtn Labs so those might be a factor as well. Any thoughts on this?

I mounted on the line and have no major complaints. If I were doing it again on new skis I'd go 1-2cm back, but I'm not compelled enough to remount my current pair. 6'1" 160lb. Skiing w/Vipecs and ZeroG Pro Guides.

Quote Originally Posted by goldengarbageman View Post
    Where has everyone been mounting their Hoji? Here in Golden most people are mounting back 2-3cm, and I've heard of people going further. I've found that even mounted back 2cm the tail can feel pushy in steep variable snow terrain.

I am also skiing them with Kingpins and Salomon Mtn Labs so those might be a factor as well. Any thoughts on this?
    I mounted mine on the line and like them that way. They definitely feel long in the tail, that hasn't felt pushy. Haven't been out on them yet this season, though. Skied with 297mm TLT6Ps/Rad 2.0s (with 6.7mm toe shim) and 310mm alpine; this season will be on 301mm MTN Labs. I'm 5'9", 135lbs.

Been on mine about 10 days. Mounted on the line. Would probably go -1 or even -2 if I was doing it again, but I won’t change now

I liked them on the line, but I also ski more centered stance and like symmetrical skis so I’m used to having lots of tail

Can someone compare the current hoji to some of the other popular pow 50/50 touring skis? i.e. bibby tour, steeple, black crows freebird skiis etc?

Same question as a few above. New vs old Hoji

Quote Originally Posted by Toddball View Post
    I mounted mine on the line and like them that way. They definitely feel long in the tail, that hasn't felt pushy. Haven't been out on them yet this season, though. Skied with 297mm TLT6Ps/Rad 2.0s (with 6.7mm toe shim) and 310mm alpine; this season will be on 301mm MTN Labs. I'm 5'9", 135lbs.
    Update: Have at least 10 days this season on the Hojis, with a mix of 301mm MTN Lab/shimmed-toe Rad 2.0s/on the line and 297mm Krypton/AAAttack 16/+1ish from recommended. No complaints with the touring setup (besides the weight going up); easy to pivot through tight trees, but also make big fast turns in open terrain. Alpine setup was initially very challenging until I swapped out softer tongues and made the boot more upright. Now they're fun in pretty much everything but Cascade concrete/soft heavy warm mank that sets up very firm after it's skied; I feel like the tails buck me around a lot in bumps, and when the snow gets sticky it's hard to stay balanced.

Thinking about remounting the toe further back, but with two sets of inserts I'm not sure where I would end up. If I had a brand new pair of Hojis I would take more care to get them somewhere between 0 and -1cm from recommended.

300+ days on the Pil top sheet hojis and now have 3 on the "new" red/black ones. Same 195cm, same salomon bindings, same boot, etc

feel the same, but new ones have abit more spring, life in them, and glide/pivot/turn a bit faster, but that is more due to 297 less days in the ROCKY mountains.

bottomline: if both pairs where new, they feel the same to me

I’m fairly certain there haven’t been any major changes since they launched it, so most people wouldn’t notice any difference even if skiing then back to back.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    I’m fairly certain there haven’t been any major changes since they launched it, so most people wouldn’t notice any difference even if skiing then back to back.
    Says on the website that the 2017 is 1950grams at 187cm. 2016 at 2260 grams. Sounds like they went to a poplar and paulownia core.

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    300+ days on the Pil top sheet hojis and now have 3 on the "new" red/black ones. Same 195cm, same salomon bindings, same boot, etc

feel the same, but new ones have abit more spring, life in them, and glide/pivot/turn a bit faster, but that is more due to 297 less days in the ROCKY mountains.

Where did you mount yours?

Sent from my VS987 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by markcjr View Post
    Where did you mount yours?

Sent from my VS987 using TGR Forums mobile app

86.5 from tail, I'm 297 BSL (-1 ish)

I think there was a "ask a hoji" type tread, or mounting info somewhere that I got the point on my first pair from. I liked that so same with the new pair.

Quote Originally Posted by skialpy View Post
    Says on the website that the 2017 is 1950grams at 187cm. 2016 at 2260 grams. Sounds like they went to a poplar and paulownia core.
    Huh. Didn’t know about that. Thanks.

Yeah big weight savings, 1950 is light enough I'm considering it as a replacement for my Pilsner ones which are getting beat up... but I've found the tip rocker on the Hoji a bit much for ski touring in firmer conditions (steeps), just not enough contact to the snow sometimes... I want to try a Zero G 108 (totally different ski to Hoji and will give up pow performance I know) as I like how my Cochise feel in those conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post

Can anyone confirm if the rocker profile on the 2019 Hoji is the same as the old Pilsner 2013 that I have? Looking for ski deals for a do-it-all ski with Shifts. I feel like my Hojis have a touch too much rocker for variable/firm snow... they have more rocker than my 2016 Renegades (black/green the last heavy ones).