Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Blizzard Latigo

Blizzard Latigo

Not your typical width around here, but what the heck your'e a curious bunch and maybe you skied it. I am looking for something narrower to round out the quiver and I keep coming back to this ski. My main reason is I find it really hard to buy a ski that would be dedicated to front side skiing only. From the little I have been able to find this ski is still fun off the groomers, that being said frontside performance is obviously pretty important in a ski this narrow. So any feedback out there on this ski?
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

I got a pair of old GS skis off eBay for front side carvers. I thought about the Latigo but decided to save a bunch of money cause 27m radius GS skis are cheep due to not being legal for racing any more.

Whiteroom, Snow Ghost, and Ski Haus are all dealers, why not see if one them has a Latigo available to demo? Or see about getting in touch with a rep?

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthop View Post
    Whiteroom, Snow Ghost, and Ski Haus are all dealers, why not see if one them has a Latigo available to demo? Or see about getting in touch with a rep?
    I work at one of those shops. I fully agree actually skiing them would be ideal. Unfortunately this ski is to speciality for it to be on our list, because of this I didn't make the time to ski at last springs demo with the rep. He only gets up here twice a year as we are very out of the way up here. Non of the other shops have it for demo either.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Just get the Brahma

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Just get the Brahma
    X2

I don't want the Brahma.

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by rludes025 View Post
    I don't want the Brahma.
    Why is that? I have never once felt the brahma is any type of compromise on the frontside. They rip on groomers, I enjoy them in the bumps and even handle fresh snow. Even on the firmest days I don't wish I had a narrower waist.

Blizzard Latigo

Praxis SND!

now seriously, take a serious look at the praxis, this ski is really great and I spent most of my season on them last year due to lack of snow, it will rip hardpack off/on and ungrommed without a problem! I even had them on a 5" day and enjoyed!

Quote Originally Posted by matt View Post
    Why is that? I have never once felt the brahma is any type of compromise on the frontside. They rip on groomers, I enjoy them in the bumps and even handle fresh snow. Even on the firmest days I don't wish I had a narrower waist.
    Ill probably look at something in this waist width down the road, right now I want something that reminds me of a race ski from edge to edge but isn't completely worthless elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by mfa81 View Post
    Praxis SND!

now seriously, take a serious look at the praxis, this ski is really great and I spent most of my season on them last year due to lack of snow, it will rip hardpack off/on and ungrommed without a problem! I even had them on a 5" day and enjoyed!
    Wow those do look pretty fucking sweet, didn't know they made something like this. Unless Keith wants to give 75% off a pair they are not going to happening.

Formerly Rludes025

Kastle mx 78 in a 184. It's probably in between a latigo and a race stock ski so front side bias, but definitely not worthless elsewhere like the latter. So happens I have a pair for sale with demo bindings.

I own a 180cm brahma and 174 X power 8 and have skied on the 184cm Latigo and 177cm Latigo.

The latigo strength is bumps really skied out bumps at that its the only place where the narrow shape works MUCH better than the Brahma IMO. Its IMO about equal to X power 8 in bumps, and falls fairly far behind the X power on hard snow snow groomer. If the snow is a little soft on groomer I honestly prefer the Brahma over either of them, and the brahma is far better in anything resembling 3d snow.

Latigo sounds like a skin disease.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Latigo sounds like a skin disease.
    Finally some quality feedback.

Formerly Rludes025

You should look into the Magnum 8.0 TI. It's discontinued, but there used to be a bunch on the super-cheap (still new unmounted) floating around on closeout at different retailers. Unless of course you'e tried it, and don't like it.

I agree with some other posters that the Brahma is a sweet ski. The only time I wish I had a different ski are two scenarios: More than 12-16 inches of powder, and then true boilerplate.

bump ...... im looking at the latigos as a dedicated front-side, hard-snow ski;
    rumor is they will be discontinued this year;
    im not race-trained, average technique and like the skis to do some of the work
    ................ especially after a safety meeting
    not interested in the brahmas
    "we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up" mike tyson

Latigo definitely gone for next season.

Scott Black Majic is a v.good alternative to the Latigo.

your shop looks wicked-cool jon, nice work!
    what is it called in the UK when you gather in the trees to smoke hashish?
    Last edited by WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot; 03-11-2017 at 04:40 PM.

If you want something that skis itself, the Elan Spectrum 85 is worth a look, and pretty cheap to boot!
    Gravity. It's the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    Latigo definitely gone for next season.
    The cream cleared it up?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    The cream cleared it up?
    High flow O2, actually...
    Gravity. It's the law.

I have the Latigo in a 184cm. I bought them off a coworker cuz I needed something for training and exams (instructor). I have also skied the 180cm brahma a few times. The Latigo is quicker edge to edge, and as long as you are moving your weight correctly it is extremely fun/stable. I might end up switching to the Brahma because most of what I use them for is slow to medium speed. You want a set of 184? They are about a 9.9/10 everywhere. Spotless base and edge. One mount. They would be cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Climber Joe View Post
    ........... You want a set of 184? They are about a 9.9/10 everywhere. Spotless base and edge. One mount. They would be cheap.
    shoot a PM my way

Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot View Post
    shoot a PM my way
    Says you can't/won't receive PMs. Your box full?