Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    And on that note, what is with the bathroom light switch being outside of the bathroom in so many places?
    It's supposed to prevent a person touching water and electricity at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by creaky fossil View Post
    Yeah, and typically 1/3 of those jobs is owning rental property.

"But dood, I'm dressed in rags and you can't prove I have a trust fund."
    Who said anything about owning?

I know. Shells are easy to form. The trust administrator usually can help with that.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Do you have an umbrella liability policy?
    You insure your umbrella? Must be a wet coast thing.

No, no, it's "umbrella liability" for when you poke someone's eye out with the thing as you walk cluelessly down the sidewalk.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    No, no, it's "umbrella liability" for when you poke someone's eye out with the thing as you walk cluelessly down the sidewalk.
    I thought it was the policy Mary Poppins had.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

No, it was Rene Magritte's policy.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Got it.

UK electrical code is probably the strictest (and safest) in the world... mostly completely over the top.

for instance a plug can't be live if it's partially unplugged, and all plugs are fused individually at the plug.

In the UK, the nominal residential supply voltage is 230v, vs 110v in the US. You have to have those safeguards to keep people alive.

When a 3 year-old sticks a hairpin or wire coat hanger in a non-GFCI 110v outlet on a 20-amp circuit (and they do every day), he quickly learns why we don't do that. With 240v 20 amp (over 2x as much "juice"), he could very easily be killed.

Quote Originally Posted by creaky fossil View Post
    No, it was Rene Magritte's policy.
    Ceci n'est pas l'assurance.

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    In the UK, the nominal residential supply voltage is 230v, vs 110v in the US. You have to have those safeguards to keep people alive.

When a 3 year-old sticks a hairpin or wire coat hanger in a non-GFCI 110v outlet on a 20-amp circuit (and they do every day), he quickly learns why we don't do that. With 240v 20 amp (over 2x as much "juice"), he could very easily be killed.
    Indeed.

I don't think there is any such thing as a 20 amp plug in UK? certainly not domestically, outlets are 13amp. Stuff with more than that draw have to be hard wired. And of course with that many volts not as many amps is needed as with 110 Volt.. anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by Tri-Ungulate View Post
    Ceci n'est pas l'assurance.
    Sorry I speak only Belgian, je ne les connais pas francais.

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post

Yes, yes, that is why Benny has such a phobia around electricity sources.

Classic.

So, You wizzed on the electric fence, didn't ya?
    I see hydraulic turtles.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Yes, yes, that is why Benny has such a phobia around electricity sources.
    I have a friend who drives a truck, because he used to work for Asplundh tree butchers and melted his feet contacting a transmission line with a pole saw, which significantly lowered his value to the company.

So, this is upside down?

You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Because if a cord or wire were to fall down on a partially plugged in right-side up outlet you would short out between the hot and the neutral. When the outlet is "upside down" in the above situation the wire would touch ground first.
    There is no code rule saying which way is up. The rational for the wire sliding down the wall is no good, if something was unplugged far enough for a cord to touch it it would not be making contact anymore. How often do you have wires sliding down a wall? There is another rational for the ground on the bottom that says that if a cord was falling or being mashed out by a piece of furniture leaning on it, the last thing making contact would be the ground. I prefer ground on the bottom, that way I can use the above coverplates.
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

You could probably sell those things.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver View Post
    There is no code rule saying which way is up. The rational for the wire sliding down the wall is no good, if something was unplugged far enough for a cord to touch it it would not be making contact anymore. How often do you have wires sliding down a wall? There is another rational for the ground on the bottom that says that if a cord was falling or being mashed out by a piece of furniture leaning on it, the last thing making contact would be the ground. I prefer ground on the bottom, that way I can use the above coverplates.
    The above was given as the reason that hospitals flip outlets. Evidently they found reason enough for all the things they plug in to establish this code. <shrug>

Hospitals generally have separate(really really strict)code requirements in patient care area's vs. non patient care area's
    patient care area's also typically have constant power sources separate from local grid
    Scientists now have decisive molecular evidence that humans and chimpanzees once had a common momma and that this lineage had previously split from monkeys.

Scientists now have decisive molecular evidence that humans and chimpanzees once had a common momma and that this lineage had previously split from monkeys.

Quote Originally Posted by Phildo_Baggins View Post
    After seeing the fuckery that goes on in the Portland rental market, some of the anal retentive mess to the walk through makes sense.
    This is true. Boulder is the same way.

My last property management company charged me 24 bucks from my deposit when the lease was up to "replace smoke detector batteries."

As well as 32 bucks to replace 2 lightbulbs.

House was immaculate too
    Last edited by WTF is dat; 12-11-2015 at 01:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Hilarious because tying a dog up like that is illegal in Boulder. And Portland I assume?

Quote Originally Posted by WTF is dat View Post
    This is true. Boulder is the same way.

My last property management company charged me 24 bucks from my deposit when the lease was up to "replace smoke detector batteries."

As well as 32 bucks to replace 2 lightbulbs.

House was immaculate too
    That seems completely reasonable. The commodities used may be cheap, but you didn't have to do anything. That's really not an absurd mark up. They could have some stupid $100 charge per visit.
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

you sound like a real rich asshole, and you are part of the reason housing and rental markets are so fucked.

all you have to do is talk to your tenants. be friendly, honest and sincere about why you don't want them messing with the wiring.

seems pretty simple to me, you fucking slumbag.