Sigma 50-150 2.8 experience?

Thinking about pulling the trigger on this lens as a cheaper and lighter alternative to a 70-200 2.8 or similar. Will go on a D7000, primarily used for shooting skiing. Anyone have some miles on one? The few reviews I can find are generally positive for the older, cheaper non OS version.

I used the Canon version of the 50-150 non-OS a few years ago, and I really liked the lens. Super sharp (if you got a good copy, of course) and quick to focus. I never used it for skiing, only portraits... but I had no complaints. From what I've read about the newer OS version, it's even better than the old model and is a great substitute for a crop zoom.

Perfect, thanks for the feedback.

Ha, literally spent all day today with this lens adjusting the AF microfocus on this lens. think i've got it dialled and when focused correctly it's sharp and the colour and contrast are really great, but man - even at a cheap-ish $500 (canadian) for a used copy would be nice if it worked out of the box. of course i've heard of people having no problem. figured it was worth the gamble. hopefully the adjustments fix it. think they will.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    I used the Canon version of the 50-150 non-OS a few years ago, and I really liked the lens. Super sharp (if you got a good copy, of course) and quick to focus. I never used it for skiing, only portraits... but I had no complaints. From what I've read about the newer OS version, it's even better than the old model and is a great substitute for a crop zoom.

I just ordered on used for 350$ so I figure its worth a shot. What body do you have it on? Most lenses save for the 35 1.8 Nikon have needed some tuning on the 7000 unfortunately. May try to bump to a 7200 next year with how cheap refurbs are starting to show up. Anywho stoked to give this lens a go!

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    I just ordered on used for 350$ so I figure its worth a shot. What body do you have it on? Most lenses save for the 35 1.8 Nikon have needed some tuning on the 7000 unfortunately. May try to bump to a 7200 next year with how cheap refurbs are starting to show up. Anywho stoked to give this lens a go!
    7d. Yea, i decided to send it back. Live in the middle of nowhere (Fernie) so i can't really afford the time it takes to make the same mistake too many times. leaning towards the tokina 50-135. pretty similar style/reviews. hope your sigma works out. i hear when they're good, they're unbelievably good. i just can't live without AF.