Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I fully expect to see some dentist on lotus 138s, these boots and beast 16s doing stem/wedge turns on blue square groomers by next year.

Related, anyone know pricing on the airbag?

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    Related, anyone know pricing on the airbag?
    Wild Snow updated their post with the following:

Voltaier available for purchase fall 2016, 20L – US $1,650, 30L – US $1,700

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    I fully expect to see some dentist on lotus 138s, these boots and beast 16s doing stem/wedge turns on blue square groomers by next year.
    Sadly I agree with you.

Good photos and run down of the mechanism here:

https://hikinginfinland.com/2015/12/...-ski-boot.html

The cuff lock actually looks somewhat field repairable.

I wonder if Eric Hoji will change his boot brand with this? he is already sponcered by Dynafit, and Arc't.

Hmmmmm. A bit more lateral ankle ROM would be really nice for booting and scrambling on spring/summer routes.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Wild Snow updated their post with the following:

Voltaier available for purchase fall 2016, 20L – US $1,650, 30L – US $1,700
    Voltair, as in Voltaire:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...et%29_-002.jpg

[/snark]

To add, airbag pack looks very promising, boots look good, but not my cup of tea. Sticker price hurts to look at in general.
    simen@downskis.com DOWN SKIS

He'll be training for AK?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by SiSt View Post
    Voltair, as in Voltaire:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...et%29_-002.jpg

[/snark]

To add, airbag pack looks very promising, boots look good, but not my cup of tea. Sticker price hurts to look at in general.
    Blame Lou, I just copied and pasted.

I'll blame him for the price too just because.

jeebus, I'd respect anyone who could pull off a christie on 138's. I think there might be a new LBD sub-event there: Best Carved Turn on 138's. Hilarity could ensue.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    I feel as if DD should get a gofundme to be official TGR tester.
    I think we could raise $37. Needs to be tested at the BBI though.

I'm in for $0.037. Fuck it. I'm feeling generous so I'll round that up to 4 cents

I'm not a dentist, but I will be buying a pair to use as snow boots. When the weather gets nasty in Seattle, I will be glad I spent the extra coin. Plus, these things look super comfy.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
    Hmmmmm. A bit more lateral ankle ROM would be really nice for booting and scrambling on spring/summer routes.
    Exactly. Could be a nice quiver boot with the right discount.

Looks like it has a lot in common with the backland. Considering the backland carbon can be had for $700 cad the chicken skeleton must ad a lot of value.

Meh. No bellows.

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    the good old "explode-O-matics".
    that's no way to talk about armored wetsuits for the feet!

Anyone have anytime on the Procline ? (skiing or walking around town)? Tried on a pair and the fit was spot on. Tried the TLT7 on too, but the whole bullet toe thing is a bit of a turn off.
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    Interesting that (nominally Canadian) Arcteryx develops a boot by (Federico) and for (mountaineering cross-over) the European market, while Dynafit is trying to integrate a North American (Freeride touring) design perspective.
    😂😂😂
    "nul n'est prophète en son pays"
    No one is a prophet in his own country

Tried them on in a shop—lateral ankle ROM was a little underwhelming. I really tried hard to notice it by mock sidehilling on their little footwear-testing ramp, and I couldn't really tell a difference. Maybe it'll be noticeable when actually sidehilling, but I wouldn't buy it expecting that feature. Forward flex is stiffer than I expected, though, so there's that. But I think I would prefer the Scarpa F1 in the ~1300 g category. YMMV and again, this is all just carpet testing so it's of very limited use.

Would be great if someone who has actually sidehilled in them could comment on the lateral ROM in the real world.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Suuuuuper interested in these. I am an ice climber / mountaineer first, skiier second. Skiing is more of a convenience than anything for me, as it makes getting to and from the climbing quite a bit faster and much more fun. Modern AT boots climb ice reasonably well, and more than "good enough" for moderate ice and snow, but there is definitely a pretty serious gap in performance when things get technical, due largely to ankle range of motion, general clunkiness, and inconvenient buckle systems of AT boots.

For whatever reason, the newer tech offerings from Dynafit and others are making boots that are LESS attractive to climbers. See the TLT-7, which is not compatible with tech crampons (except by some clunky looking adapter?) and does not easily allow buckling up without also locking the ankle (though that was true of their other offerings, and can be fixed with a stupid boot mod).

If these things climb comparably to modern dedicated ice boots and are pretty decent to ski in, that's HUGE step forward for people like me.

Plus, the price really isn't bad relative to others. Retail $750 US retail for the "regular" (i.e. non carbon fiber) version, which is basically the same as pretty much every other brand's comparable offerings (TLT-7, backland, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Tried them on in a shop—lateral ankle ROM was a little underwhelming. I really tried hard to notice it by mock sidehilling on their little footwear-testing ramp, and I couldn't really tell a difference. Maybe it'll be noticeable when actually sidehilling, but I wouldn't buy it expecting that feature. Forward flex is stiffer than I expected, though, so there's that. But I think I would prefer the Scarpa F1 in the ~1300 g category. YMMV and again, this is all just carpet testing so it's of very limited use.

Would be great if someone who has actually sidehilled in them could comment on the lateral ROM in the real world.
    I've skied in em once. So not the best of data points but something. I'm 150lbs and 5'10 for ref.
    About 4k and a few miles of walking (and some booting). Skinned for a few miles. Skiing was variable with ice/windboard/breakable crust/powder. They do walk/boot nicely. Better than a TLT due to the lateral ROM. More akin to a mountaineering/ice climbing boot. As for sidehilling, the lateral ROM was noticeable, but not so much that I'd call it a deal maker. A marked improvement, but not so much that I'd buy it for that - even if price was not a factor. My touring partner was also on them and tried to quantify it as a 5-10% improvement in skinning efficiency. I'm not sure, but sounds like a reasonable estimate. Likely single digits IMO...

Skiing- not progressive, as expected. Similar to a TLT6P. You're immediately up against the front. Was a bit much for my taste - even while driving zeroG 85s. That's not gonna translate well on bigger boards.

Just bought some F1s. Much more progressive and I have yet to even add a booster. F1 is winning. Not to say the bird boot is not, but just not for me. It seems more of a quiver boot if you're gonna go that route. Say, ski alpinism, which I'm pretty sure was their targeted market. Whereas the F1 is a damn fine boot for skiing and touring, while walking better than a TLT based on something - likely a less impeded cuff pivot than TLT. I'd say the F1 skis better than the TLT and bird boot. I've only a few days on the F1 but so far, SO good. Sold my TLT6s.

F1s (27) came in at 1237g with power strap. TLT6 that I had in same size was 1250g w/o tongue. Did not get a chance to weigh the Procline.

I'm over caffeinated at the moment so excuse my rambling...

^^Great stuff, thanks. The F1 felt pretty good on in the shop. My quest for a ski mountaineering boot is now down to the F1 and the Fischer Travers (which I haven't found a place to try on). The 200g / foot savings seems sweet, but I'm not sure how much skiability is lost.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    My quest for a ski mountaineering boot is now down to the F1 and the Fischer Travers (which I haven't found a place to try on). The 200g / foot savings seems sweet, but I'm not sure how much skiability is lost.
    Funny, that Travers Carbon was also on my short list but I also couldn't find em to try on. Also, some tinterneting led me to find the outsoles to be suspect. Couldn't get a definitive answer online, but it looks to be carbon or fake carbon showing through on the outsole. This was a while back so maybe there is more info now. Not sure how the carbon-y windows would fare with rock abuse, which my boots see a bunch of. May be a non-issue, but that coupled with lack of try on, led me to F1. As well as Vibram being pretty f'ing awesome on the F1.